Thread: amendment 26

in the hearts and souls and minds of mortals

Default amendment 26

As a woman living in mississippi, i don't think i have ever been as scared as i am now for Nov. the 8th. If you don't know what amendment 26 is (and i'd venture to guess not many of you do)...it's the amendment that advocates are parading around as an anti-abortion bill. It would rid mississippi of abortions (that much is true), HOWEVER it also outlaws some major forms of birth control, cloning, in vitro fertilization, and would cause miscarriages to become suspect to criminal investigations. (this is not hype-histeria these are real "cons" put out by our secretary of state).

Unfortunately it will most likely pass, judging by the mass number of "vote yes amendment 26" signs/posters plastered all on mississippi soil like antbeds, pro-life car tags, and illiterate sheep we call the population voting republican just to vote republican.

read and discuss.

DON'T PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH! IT WAS MADE IN CHINA!!!- Alora Owens: Age 6

as soon as I was about to post I got raped... -Kirby: Age... whatever

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

It's unconstitutional. The government has no right to deny citizens abortion because people are wrong. They treat it as a moral topic when it's not. It's a practicality based on the parent(s) situation on whether or not they can adequately care for the child, or if the mother's life is in danger. All the fetus is doing is leeching off the mother to gain sustenance, it's logically not a conscious person; just a lifeform.

Why do people treat cells as people? If cells are treated like people why can't we treat dogs like people. Or fish. Or sandwiches.

Because those cells will (hopefully) grow to become a person. It's really not an argument that either side can convince the other of.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

It's unrealistic to try to save every unborn baby in the world, much less the country. Even if the amendment passes there will still be underground doctors willing to do abortions.

If we outlaw cloning, only outlaws will have clones!

I live. I love. I kill. I catch Pokemons. I am content.

HOWEVER it also outlaws some major forms of birth control, cloning, in vitro fertilization
    What is this? Why did we decide to take a step back 40 years in science? I can understand abortion atleast, even if I disagree with it. The rest is just gibberish, hopefully someone sues and brings this to the surpreme court so it can be destroyed.

Will the clone wars come to this galaxy?

OT: I understand the importance of being careful but shit happens, everyone makes mistakes, [insert relevant cliché]. How can you force someone to have a baby they cannot provide for/properly nurture? Does the world need more orphans? Are there exceptions for extreme case scenarios (rape)?
    Just do it.

I am un-easy about 3rd trimester abortions, as it is actually conscience then, but before then, abort it up baby.

The ammendment is far too broad and too negative repurcussions to be allowed to pass. I'm not comfortable with abortions but I can understand the necessity in some cases. It'd be great if the ammendment got rid of second term abortions but allowed first term, the other parts are just too far out there. While I certainly don't advocate cloning of human beings, the ability to clone body parts is far too valuable to medical science and really cross any moral bounds. Outlawing birth control is just ludicrous especially for Mississippi with our high teen pregnancy rate, high poverty rate and high unemployment rate. Hell we live below the poverty line! It's too broad and to stupid even if it could have had some merit.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

well to be fair this is what you get for living in a state equivalent to a third world country

A low to mid functioning sociopath. Shadow's Avatar

Personally, I don't care too much for abortion, but I'm not entirely against it. I do believe that there are cases where abortion should be legal/fine/insert-whatever-term-you-like, such as when both the mother and child are in danger, or things of that sort. But if you want an abortion because you were too stupid to use birth cantrol or just cant take care of a baby, then I think they should have the baby and put it up for adoption. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of people out there who would love to adopt a kid without spending thousands of dollars to get one from somewhere in asia.
    "I can't explain just how it feels,
    the thoughts of my premature burial.
    Inside this oblong box I lie,
    with the hope I'll be buried alive."

http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/ind
    http://rogue-babylon.myminicity.com/tra

Thing is Shadow, this ammednment outlaws almost any kind of birth control.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

the probem is the bill covers so much more than abortion. If it were just about that, most people wouldn't be so up in arms. I am truely scared for what today's election will turn out. I've been reading up on both sides and one woman blogged that she knew the consequences could be severe but didn't care as long as we lived in a state that acknowledged that abortion was wrong. It's not like mississippi has abortion clinics popping up like starbucks. there is only 1 and it's in jackson. the human race will stop at nothing to out stupid one another.

The ammendment is really simple, it states that a person has full rights at fertilization. That makea anything that interferes with fertiliziation illegal. It would also give all human clones full legal rights. Which is... Really odd for the bill to target but it specifically mentions clones.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

See, now that's just nonsense. Basically, they're trying to push a "don't have sex or live with the consequences" policy. While adoption would still be available, this is beyond stupid for multiple reasons. And besides, some birth control (read: condoms) have a double purpose of helping to prevent the spread of STDs.

As for the clone parts, I think that's just a joke, because haven't all these religious groups continuously tried to prevent any progress in the realm of cloning and such?

Even if it somehow passes, I'm sure that it will quickly be overruled as unconstitutional or something.

That's an even BIGGER problem. If it passes, it will likely go to the supreme court. If they over turn it, it actally paves the way for allowing the less humane versions of abortion, ie. Third term and such.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

And this is where I lose hope for the world. Why can't they just find a nice solid middle ground?

i will probably not sleep tonight. 39% in and no is at 58% it's been fluctuating between 56-60%

Whho! Shot down! Not a bad day for Democracy. Vague and unconstitutional 'Personhood' amendment shot down, new limits on emminent domain, and now we have to have an id to vote... annoying but good for security.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

agreed. i am happy today. women keep our rights! i'm gonna exercise my right to make you a delicious supper darling and not wear shoes!

Your current user title is

but they need to put up a second bill about clones having rights. They should have rights there never should be an issue with clones not being considered human.

You do know the crazy stuff was added just to keep the bill from passing, right?

Flame,Troll and Spoil