Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

This is the only video game I've ever been really excited about, I think.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Nice Hicky, make a thread for a game that already exists.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I have yet to watch a single gameplay trailer, or read very much about the gameplay, but I love the Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim has so much potential, both as a basic game, and a modding tool.

And the damn full trailer keep getting me worked up over it. Max von Sydow's voice in the trailer sounds amazing, and hearing the Nerevar Rising chorus for the third time really makes it feel like it's another amazing installment.
    I was a little disappointed by Oblivion, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

I doubt I'll pay for it unless I am completely satisfied with the game.
    I just miss the huge variety of Morrowind. Oblivion kinda had this whole "EVERYTHING IS WESTERN MEDIEVAL NOW" feel about it.

And Skyrim looks like it's going to be "EVERYTHING IS VIKING NOW".

I don't understand what's wrong with being obsessed with vikings, their mythology and history is really interesting and it's not a straightforward culture, it has a lot of scope. Oblivion wasn't really 'Western Medieval' I don't think.

Plus, obviously there's going to be coverage of all types of mythology and human history - the Altmers are the Greeks, the Bretons are the Gauls. It's also such an interesting analysis of realistic human civilisation i.e. there are tensions between races, lies made about other races, sanctioned criminal activity by the state, etc.

I can't believe anyone could be disappointed by Oblivion. It was such a cool game with so much to explore and so many cultural references, and it took me years to stop finding things to do in it. It took the Elder Scrolls from a pretty classy D&D-esque role playing video game series to something realy awesome.

The first review of Skyrim is out today. It got a 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I don't understand what's wrong with being obsessed with vikings, their mythology and history is really interesting and it's not a straightforward culture, it has a lot of scope. Oblivion wasn't really 'Western Medieval' I don't think.

Plus, obviously there's going to be coverage of all types of mythology and human history - the Altmers are the Greeks, the Bretons are the Gauls. It's also such an interesting analysis of realistic human civilisation i.e. there are tensions between races, lies made about other races, sanctioned criminal activity by the state, etc.

I can't believe anyone could be disappointed by Oblivion. It was such a cool game with so much to explore and so many cultural references, and it took me years to stop finding things to do in it. It took the Elder Scrolls from a pretty classy D&D-esque role playing video game series to something realy awesome.
    Oh, I thoroughly enjoyed Oblivion. I played the hell out of it. It just didn't meet the expectations I had for it after playing Morrowind. The huge world was there, but the people that lived in it seemed very... samey.

And it was clear that they were new to using voice acting well. The last thing I wanted to hear about while roaming on my adventures was about how someone saw another fucking mud crab the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    The first review of Skyrim is out today. It got a 95%.
    GameInformer gave it a 10, I think.

so has anyone played this then?

i've become a bit bored of it but it probably won't last. I played the shit out of it when I first got it, I guess there just becomes nothing to do except catch butterflies and admire the vistas.

I keep rerolling my character, so I've had to sit through that fucking cutscene at the beginning more times than I care to remember.

But I honestly cannot get through the main plot without assigning myself an arbitrary goal to complete, such as collect all the Dragon Claws or all the Dragon Priest Masks. The main quest simply isn't compelling enough to get through otherwise.

Although, it's still great fun. It's buggy, and pretty much the same as Oblivion, but it's still great fun and pretty easy to get immersed.

I don't think it's the same as Oblivion but it doesn't feel quite different enough than Fallout 3 and Oblivion than I would have hoped. I like certain touches of it though that make it feel like a distinctively different game, like all the work that went into the magic and the fact that people impale you with ice shards, the multitude of different potions rather than one bottle fits all and the dragon shouts.

Registered Users Regular Silver Espeon's Avatar

Ugh, that 'arrow to the knee' meme is just so annoying.
    ~Paired with Delcatty, Dragon Berry, Hikari, Boycrazies, crusherwakeman42, The Editor, xXEmo_WolfieXx, PiplupPal, and Mystic Ninetales~

Skyrim was a great game

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I don't think it's the same as Oblivion but it doesn't feel quite different enough than Fallout 3 and Oblivion than I would have hoped. I like certain touches of it though that make it feel like a distinctively different game, like all the work that went into the magic and the fact that people impale you with ice shards, the multitude of different potions rather than one bottle fits all and the dragon shouts.
    To be honest, I found the potions to be an unorganised mess. Especially when I started packratting. I had philters, elixirs, potions, draughts, of all kinds of shit. It started getting really annoying to look through.

The magic was great, though. I wish they could have put a little more work into magic, a la Fable 3, in that you could simultaneously cast two spells and have some kind of combined effect.

No, that ruins the whole point of one spell consuming a certain amount of magicka. The magic thing was one of the best things about it, and in my opinion Fable 3 isn't exactly a good role model of a game to aspire to. It made you think about the moral implications of your actions and it had nice voice acting, but the combat system is dire.

I was disappointed by Skyrim. I had high hopes after they said they were bringing back a bit of the Morrowind touch. A lot of issues with Skyrim, but overall it is quite decent yet underwhelming at the same time.

Yeah I just got this game and I am already sorta stuck.

You know that first quest where you have to go underground for a dragon stone for some wizard. After I fought the spider, then some undead people, I passed a hallway with swinging blades, to a room with a river, an undead person, and a chest with some iron armor. The map is telling me to go forwards but I see no door.

I was disappointed by Skyrim. I had high hopes after they said they were bringing back a bit of the Morrowind touch. A lot of issues with Skyrim, but overall it is quite decent yet underwhelming at the same time.
    It's a great game but the guilds just aren't long enough, and it becomes old and boring sooner than you expected. I'm in a bit of a dormant Skyrim period at the moment - I was so addicted to it when it came out but now I can't think of anything compelling to do on it.

You know that first quest where you have to go underground for a dragon stone for some wizard. After I fought the spider, then some undead people, I passed a hallway with swinging blades, to a room with a river, an undead person, and a chest with some iron armor. The map is telling me to go forwards but I see no door.
    Kirby, there is no "first quest". You can do whatever you want, it's not a sequence. What's the name of the quest? I've never come across that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Yeah I just got this game and I am already sorta stuck.

Follow the water and hit the switch on the wall, it will open a path.

Answered in another thread.

Ok I let my sister have a save file, and basically she just goes around wandering doing whatever the fuck she wants. Well I suppose you stole a tad bit too many things, and well now she has a bounty on her head in Whitehold I think. So basically she is attacked by 3 buff gaurds as soon as she gets near any town or place of importance, and dies within 4 seconds. Online the only way out of this I saw is to move to a different hold, the problem is she is in the middle of the hold right now and she doesn't feel like moving either. Is there a way she can just pay the fine bouty of something?

Has she tried surrendering and going to jail?

You shouldn't be attacked unless you have a humongous bounty.

It's really annoying to surrender in Skyrim. It's some arbitrary thing like put your sword away while pressing A or something.

Yeah it was getting rediclus so she just started over.

I think it's easier just to wander around aimlessly and kill things rather than doing quests.

Hey I found a horse in like the middle of nowhere. I don't want it though right now, but I don't want to just ditch it or kill it. Is there a place I can sell it or leave it be where I can get it later.

You can't sell horses.

And they're only 1000 gold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast