Thread: A question about American culture

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default A question about American culture

Are people almost universally cynical about aspects of American culture such as American football? I mean, is it only annoying, popular kids in high school who watch New York Jets games and the rest of you just ignore it? I've always wondered about this but I've never been able to phrase the question properly.

no a lot of people generally care and local media is always all about the local sports team whenever theres a game.

around here whenever a team has gotten relatively far into a season just about every 3rd person will be wearing some sort of their paraphernalia

That's really weird, actually. Cricket is an institutional sport of the U.K. but people as a rule generally find it boring and for old men. We also have association football and lots of people pay attention to that but you won't be hard-pressed to find someone who thinks it's boring and people are far too obsessed with it. I imagined there'd be a similar story in the U.S. with people finding American football obsession just too needless and comical

It's like a version of the ancient roman games. It gives people something essentially non important to care about and drives an economy all it's own. Me personally I don't care a lot about it but even I can get pulled into the whole mystique of it. When I'm on a computer and not a phone I'll weave the tale of Nyrisis's brother and the Alabama game last night. Just to give you an example of what it's like.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

you can easily find people who think football is dumb and boring, but the majority of 'normal' people care a reasonable amount.

I'm not too bothered about football, I'll watch it if there's nothing else on or people are making a 'thing' about it and going to the pub in a large group but otherwise, meh.

This guy on my business course is obsessed though. He's an absolute freak about it.

Where are you on a business course?

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

I know plenty of people who can't be bothered to watch American football, myself included.

Man Of All Things Merry buckweat's Avatar

I grew up with my family loving football, to the point of worship almost. They're not like, creepy, it's just one of their favorite things to do is to sit around on Sundays and watch football. I enjoy it a lot but not so much as hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    Where are you on a business course?
    same place. llandrillo college

needed something to do for a year before I move to worcester.

I don't watch American football, but do watch "soccer" sometimes.

Cricket is another story. All the guys I know love it.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Your current user title is

Quote Originally Posted by buckweat View Post
    I grew up with my family loving football, to the point of worship almost. They're not like, creepy, it's just one of their favorite things to do is to sit around on Sundays and watch football. I enjoy it a lot but not so much as hockey.
    My family was the same way but it's probably because I was raised in scarlet and gray territory

Flame,Troll and Spoil