Thread: Facebook

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Facebook

They keep your information regardless as to whether or not you're a member, without your knowledge and consent. They store your private messages when you've deleted them, they keep cookies on all websites you visit that have some kind of connection to Facebook (usually through the 'Like this page!' feature). You can't delete your account so they keep your information indefinitely. They store all the IP addresses you ever use to log on to your account. 'Geotags' can identify the time and location a picture was taken, regardless of whether or not you provide it.

Facebook is also 'infantilising' the human mind and causing every single person to have ADHD, http://www.grownupdigital.com/archiv...he-human-mind/.

Put simply, fuck Facebook.

yeah the 'fuck facebook' mentality has been growing on me for awhile now. i dont care about the privacy stuff but its generally a net minus on both the internet and probably social interaction in general.

but all my friends go on facebook

Fuck em
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Registered Users Regular

I'm OK with them having my information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    youre wicked cool 10/10

I used to not give a shit about security but I don't think I'm that comfortable with a corporation having not only everything I do and don't do on their website but also pretty much my entire history. And besides security, there's plenty to hate about having an inferior attention span and an infantile mind.

Facebook has just become to great of an extent associated with society now, and it's given far too much credit for things. Does the media seriously believe that a social networking site had anything at all to do with the Arab Spring? Do they seriously think that people being on Facebook will lead to global prosperity and peace? Yet that seems to seriously be some people's ideas now about the 'social networking revolution'.

I think literally the only positive thing about Facebook is that because everybody uses it, every single hotel has wi-fi to accommodate, therefore meaning you can irreversibly get on the internet in all hotels. That's a pretty minor advantage but it's the only thing I can think of. It's helpful if you want to do your job in Amsterdam during the inevitable time you spent sat in the room doing nothing.

Registered Users Regular

Eh, I only use it to spam walls and chat with a few friends. I don;t really do anything other than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    youre wicked cool 10/10

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

To be honest, I don't mind them having all my information. Maybe it's a completely moronic kind of trust, but it just doesn't bother me if Facebook has my information. I'm not really concerned what they could do with it.

As for your other point, I feel like that would only happen if the person in question was already susceptible to 'infantilising'.

Why do you trust a massive corporation which already is extremely weak in ensuring that you have basic privacy?

And no, actually. If future generations become so used to browsing Facebook obsessively then that generation in general will develop a shorter attention span.

I agree that Facebook is a convenient place to get in touch with people but that's only because everybody's on it. If everybody was on Bebo, Myspace or PokÚDream Forums then they'd be convenient places to get in touch with people and on PD you'd be able to delete things permanently rather than archive them in a corporation's database

I'm sure that just because they're deleting it eventually it doesn't make it worrying that companies are storing excessive amounts of data on things they shouldn't

Data protection law is hard to enforce, there needs to be lots of investigation in what they're doing with the data but they aren't allowed to distribute it elsewhere or use it unlawfully and that's about it. They're also not allowed to have data on people that haven't signed an agreement which says they can have their data, so therefore the fact that they have information on people who haven't even registered and the fact that they log cookies is potentially unlawful.