Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hicky, what are your views on existentialism?

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default Hicky, what are your views on existentialism?

I'm an existentialist through and through. I wouldn't go as far as Sarte but I beleive that existence preceeds essense. Nearly evrything one has or does is their own fault in one way shape or form. IF you look on my fb I made a short movie about this and I would love for you to watch it. But before all that. what are your views on this philosphical concept?

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

i think its a childish fantasy

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

i'll reply to this tomorrow, i'm too tired to do a great deal of serious discussion

i was going to reply to this stating the fact that I think adopting philosophical positions is redundant considering the fact that it's so abstract that philosophical schools don't directly contradict each other, so therefore saying "i'm an existentialist" is a bit silly. but unless i actually think about my response it'll be shit

I lean towards existenialism moreso then any other philisophy then. But saying one is one does not mean it is silly because its just one aspect of my broader philosphical beleifs, i.e, I am alos a beleiver in the soul theory in addition to a socratic thinker. So, stating one of my beleifs is not silly, rather, stating all your beleifs in this forum (no pun intended) would be silly and not condusive to what I am trying to do and that is see your views on existenialism.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

i agree with some of existentialism but i disagree with some aspects of it personally and i'm always filled with the doubt that we are ultimately slaves to a rational, logical world in which our own experiences and interpretations are derived from logical mechanisms. i like the idea though very much and I find existentialist doctrine extremely comforting. also i find existentialists like Sartre tend to ignore semantic evolution in 'existence' and 'essence' from Plato's time and hence they sort of take their meaning away in countering them.

Verse me in Platonic philosophy again and how Sarte contradicts it.

bump eh hem

'essentia' precedes 'existentia' in Plato's time, 'existentia' precedes 'essentia' according to Sartre. Plato wasn't well-versed in biological phenomena, and philosophy was just different in his time.

what is existentialism

Basically it means all men are the makers of their future. Where the debates lie is the varying degrees of how far one believes they have personal control and thus responisbilty of said future, outcomes an actions.

thats stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    'essentia' precedes 'existentia' in Plato's time, 'existentia' precedes 'essentia' according to Sartre. Plato wasn't well-versed in biological phenomena, and philosophy was just different in his time.
    Yeah I don't concur. I personally don't like Plato. Socrates is the real peoples' man.

Well Rayne YOU'RE stupid. Why don't you like it?

i dont believe in free will

no i just believe that whatever action a person takes is because of multiple external stimuli which they have no control over

Haha I completely disagree. But you know what, at least you take an argumentative point that is at least logical. Your view is a more "scientific" approach that I just don't buy. Am I able to assume that you beleive one's identity is neurologically based then rather than something more abstract like soul/ghost theory?

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

what if your raped? is that your inevitable fault?

your welcome

If you stretch the timeline out yes. I mean think about it, you chose to (A) which led to (B) that caused (C) that made you choose to go to (D) which made you (E) and then you got raped. It's kind of a fucked up way of looking at some things but in a logical (if you beleive in existentialism that is) sense it WAS your fault.

Yo, someone fill in those letters exactly how I wrote the sentence with Ripdo being the subject. The funniest post wins. hahahahaha

Your current user title is

I suggest you don't ask people to do that. You are all stupid anyway.

It is half free will and half external stimuli peroid. You are all dumb asses for thinking other wise.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

Ripdo: PhD in Metaphysical Philosophy- University of Phoenix

I would never go to such a shitty nonexistent universality or major in anything that's not one of the hard sciences.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

Yeah you do like it when it's hard. You wanna trade nudes?

Could make so many jokes out of your last post but I won't.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

Come on Ripdo, let me see your surgar. Your pussy hairy Ripdo? I love me carpet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast