Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hicky, what are your views on existentialism?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    Haha I completely disagree. But you know what, at least you take an argumentative point that is at least logical. Your view is a more "scientific" approach that I just don't buy. Am I able to assume that you beleive one's identity is neurologically based then rather than something more abstract like soul/ghost theory?
    yes

If you stretch the timeline out yes. I mean think about it, you chose to (A) which led to (B) that caused (C) that made you choose to go to (D) which made you (E) and then you got raped. It's kind of a fucked up way of looking at some things but in a logical (if you beleive in existentialism that is) sense it WAS your fault.
    stretch the timeline out more, keep asking 'why' and you'll eventually come across a point where things that the individual has taken no part in have directly resulted in whatever events have taken place in the individual's lifetime.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Example.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

what example? it's obvious. genetic makeup, environment, parents, peers, etc, etc - everything around you affects everything you do. it's not just limited to people or environments in your vicinity: it is a never ending cycle. every event that you partake in your life is a direct consequence of some other event which in turn is a direct consequence of another event ad infinitum. deterministic chaos. it's how the universe works. no one has a 'soul' or any unique 'something' in them that gives them an infallible identity or purpose or guarantees true control over their actions the moment they're born (in fact birth, and evolution, itself ie the transfer of genetic material from parent to progeny to preserve environmentally favourable characteristics, exemplifies this); theyre completely shaped by the world they live in. to suggest otherwise is arrogant.

I agree one is not born with a purpose but I don't agre what happens to that person is somely causal by their surroundings. So for all intensive purposes give an example, it's easier to debate with examples rather than a vague "everything."

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

for all intensive purposes
    *twitch*

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

what if your uncle dies of aids and it makes you sad. that is a direct effect on you. is it your fault that he died of aids?

your welcome

If you stretch the timeline out yes. I mean think about it, you chose to (A) which led to (B) that caused (C) that made you choose to go to (D) which made you (E) and then you got raped. It's kind of a fucked up way of looking at some things but in a logical (if you beleive in existentialism that is) sense it WAS your fault.
    what if you went home? what if you did the same repetitive action daily without change and an outside force affected such a pattern? was it your fault the event took place if you did not choose to do anything different?

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    what if your uncle dies of aids and it makes you sad. that is a direct effect on you. is it your fault that he died of aids?
    What are you asking, whether it's your fault you are sad or that he has aids.

what if you went home? what if you did the same repetitive action daily without change and an outside force affected such a pattern? was it your fault the event took place if you did not choose to do anything different?
    In a way yes it WAS your fault for BEING there at that time WHERE the ACTION took place. So in a sense it WAS your "fault" for being raped. I'm not arguing rape is a victimless crime I'm merely saying that people take the RISK of having a "normal" life and thus COULd be raped outside their house. They could have CHOSEN to be a shut in for the rest of their life and be far less at risk to be raped OUTSIDE their house. See where I'm getting at this?

I agree one is not born with a purpose but I don't agre what happens to that person is somely causal by their surroundings. So for all intensive purposes give an example, it's easier to debate with examples rather than a vague "everything."
    you give me an example and ill break it down

Well I like Pants. Rebut.

why do you like pants?

I don't like Pants I like his rape scenario because he was the first to bring one up. Rebut.

I don't like Pants I like his rape scenario because he was the first to bring one up. Rebut.
    ...what?

Oh my fucking Rayne just fucking rebut!

i was talking more about the fact that your uncle's aids had a direct emotional effect on you. his aids were not tied to you in any way but emotionally, and it is impossible to set yourself outside of that pain emotionally. so was it your fault? it was not based on your decision to have that uncle, and location wouldn't matter.

your welcome

The fear of suffering or going on in life without someone to help you through life and make you "happy" is an example of bad faith. Giving "power" to anything other than yourself in any facet is a choice a person makes and thus feeling upset is indeed your choice.

okay so its correct to blame yourself when someone you know dies of cancer because you had emotional investment in their situation? that sounds much more horrible than your conceptually taking it in, i'm sure.

your welcome

No it's not your fault he HAD cancer AND died, it's your fault for getting so UPSET that they had cancer and died.

Recently I don't know, maybe when we used to talk or just broke up. I don't see your point?

so because my cat was crucified and burned alive while i was forced to watch, the entire situation was my fault because some people broke in my home unexpectedly and did it for a completely random reason?

unrealistic situations are fun with this kind of belief structure

your welcome

so because my cat was crucified and burned alive while i was forced to watch, the entire situation was my fault because some people broke in my home unexpectedly and did it for a completely random reason?

unrealistic situations are fun with this kind of belief structure
    You had a choice whether to have a cat or not. You had a choice whether to lock the cat in a special room that was bomb and burglar proof. You had a choice to have the house voice activated to sent a warning to the cops. There are a myriad of ways it could have ben prevented. The key thing to understand is most people DON'T do those things and thus take certain risks i.e. the cat thing you just said. What we have to understand is we COULD prevent a lot of things but it would make life a lot more complicated and potentially boring so we CHOOSE to live in higher risk situations and thus must own up to those choices if something goes afoul.

i agree that we need to take personal responsibility, but there's a limit old bean.

your welcome

Thinking this way makes me less cynical to be honest and is actually very liberating. Nothing is more random yet freeing than reality.

i also agree, but i like to imagine. conceptual idealistic choices are healthy and introduce artistic and philosophical obstacles that allow the trip along this twisting and unpaved highway of life seem more memorable and satisfying.

your welcome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast