Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hicky, what are your views on existentialism?

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    What you're saying doesn't had anything to do with realism
    Determinism verses Indeterminism is a better way of putting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    but i like to imagine. conceptual idealistic choices are healthy and introduce artistic and philosophical obstacles that allow the trip along this twisting and unpaved highway of life seem more memorable and satisfying.
    Shut up and start talking like an adult.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

so Socrates wasn't an adult?

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    No it's not your fault he HAD cancer AND died, it's your fault for getting so UPSET that they had cancer and died.
    why did he get upset?

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    so Socrates wasn't an adult?
    Quote him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    why did he get upset?
    The fear of suffering or going on in life without someone to help you through life and make you "happy" is an example of bad faith. Giving "power" to anything other than yourself in any facet is a choice a person makes and thus feeling upset is indeed your choice.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

no its purely neurological

That's where we disagree. I beleive emotions can be controlled.

Like a great many things, I take an 'in the middle approach' It's largely dependent on the person. Environment and genetics have a huge impact on what any person does in a given situation but I don't think they mandate particular actions. Everyone has SOME control over what happens to them but the degree varies highly by the individual.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

It varies on how a person views life.

Some people are naturally more strong willed than others too.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

That's where we disagree. I beleive emotions can be controlled.
    sure emotions can be controlled. but there exists a reason for asserting that control and that reason may not be under our control. ya feel me?

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

"Well, my art of midwifery is in most respects like theirs; but differs, in that I attend men and not women; and look after their souls when they are in labour, and not after their bodies: and the triumph of my art is in thoroughly examining whether the thought which the mind of the young man brings forth is a false idol or a noble and true birth. And like the mid-wives, I am barren, and the reproach which is often made against me, that I ask questions of others and have not the wit to answer them myself, is very just-the reason is, that the god compels-me to be a midwife, but does not allow me to bring forth. And therefore I am not myself at all wise, nor have I anything to show which is the invention or birth of my own soul, but those who converse with me profit."
    (Socrates - as written by Plato in Theaetetus)

a very conceptual idea that really has no realistic bearing besides being poetic. here's some more big names:

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

-albert einstein

“I believe in the imagination. What I cannot see is infinitely more important than what I can see.”

-duane michals

“As we come to know, accept, and explore our feelings, they will become sanctuaries and fortresses and spawning grounds for the most radical and daring of ideas-the house of difference so necessary to change and the conceptualization of any meaningful action.”

-audre lorde

i think the delusion of reality is important for progression and healthy thinking, and apparently many agree doggy.

your welcome

Your current user title is

Doger this sound like a load of bull shit because, from my understanding of biology you can have to twins who start out exactly the same but their experiences through life shape their personality. In the beginning everything that happened to you is outside stimuli. You lean from those experiences and from there start to make your own choices. A person’s identity is comprised of a serious of choices, experience and consequences.
    If your memory was completely whipped and you had to start over would you even act like your old self. I would say no because the identity of a person is based on their memories. I think that is what makes us different. I don’t believe in the soul either; we are organic robots composed of cells made from inorganic atoms.

Flame,Troll and Spoil

related

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123