Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If I was an American

I tend to think that social issues should be handled on a state level, such as gay rights, abortion, and legalizing drug usage.

You are correct, however, that a certain level of cohesion is required. There are many things that could not be managed without a strong federal government. I just think that sometimes the power of the federal government outweighs that of the states by too much. Likewise, the power of the states shouldn't outweight that of the government by too much. There needs to be a balance, because each has their own jobs to do.
    "What luck for rulers that men do not think." ~Adolf Hitler
    "you are gay furthermore you like sex with men" ~god

One of the Seven Deadly Sins of PD: Femme Greed

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

i live in alabama. no. it promotes social instability because there are an overwhelming majority of people who support segregation, and thus force the other class/race/sex to be isolated in that environment. its better for a certain collective people in that environment, and creates obvious social discrimination.

your welcome

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

You are correct, however, that a certain level of cohesion is required. There are many things that could not be managed without a strong federal government. I just think that sometimes the power of the federal government outweighs that of the states by too much. Likewise, the power of the states shouldn't outweight that of the government by too much. There needs to be a balance, because each has their own jobs to do.
    Sometimes when an idea is immensely popular with the people and in the best interests of everyone, having been the platform that the president and perhaps the dominant party in Congress was voted in on, it is annoying when every single one of your proposals is rejected by state legislatures, especially when you have a mandate to legislate in that area. Otherwise, nothing will ever get done, you won't have a universal political system with universal rights and a democratic process, therefore meaning you can't actually obey the constitution.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Your healthcare system is third-world. You spend the most in the world on it yet it's an extremely bad system, inferior to your Canadian neighbor's system and pretty much all of Europe. Our NHS, extraordinary inefficient and mired by problems, is better than your system.

You've had politicians trying to fix it, and possessing a mandate to fix it. You elected Barack Obama and Bill Clinton as president to implement better health care. Barack Obama has tried to implement mandatory health insurance, which would be a step towards a solution and a better system, albeit a small step. You cannot implement this because you as a country are obsessed with the evils of a tyrannical 'big government'.

It's in issues like health care that you need cohesion. Otherwise literally nothing in your country will ever get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Pants, and the beast dwelling within View Post
    boast pretentious, envious nonsense (most radicals).
    your beliefs are probably very stupid, just saying. i DO hate conservatives.

i know tim. your a very overly opinionated person, but i dont hate you.

your welcome

power to the states is stupid, but something conservatives love because it would destroy living standards for the average american which is the entire point behind their agenda. conservatives love to talk about how successful texas has been in "creating jobs" when in fact those jobs are not there because of a productive work force or decent physical or educational infrastructure or what have you, but because texas has persued an aggressive "beggar thy neighbor" strategy by cutting support for workers and slashing taxes(resulting in reduced social services that gives texas one of the worst records in the nation in terms of teenage pregnancy, high school drop outs etc) making it more attractive for shitty employers to come and fuck their workers over as much as they can.

conservatives envision this happening all over america where "competition" becomes a race to the bottom for which state can make it as worse for their citizens and as good for their corporations as possible. federal governments are the one entity able to keep this from happening by setting certain minimum standards which all of its states must respect. so of course conservatives dont like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pants, and the beast dwelling within View Post
    so instead of actual effort in bettering yourself socially or economically, your plan is to take down what those who have more privileges have? also, privileges that specifically benefit any race or sex need to be removed from any form of legislation. people should only be judged on merit. not their sex/race/origin. my point was to remove the prior discrimination altogether. the revision is simple, and affects everyone rather than positively towards one race or sex. gays should be allowed to marry federally, but be married as people, not as gay or straight couples. that basic identity of "gay", "black", "latino", etc. in politics is what i'm fighting against. not promoting the lack of rights, but rather the universal rights.
    we dont live in a utopian society where everyone is granted equal opportunity from birth. what race you are, what class youre born into, what your sexuality is, where you live - all these things define the person you will be. the underprivileged do not remain so because of 'lack of effort'. you cant blame an inner city black kid embroiled in the drug trade along with his family and his peers for not trying to get out of it because the culture that surrounds him discourages it, unlike that of upper middle class white boys such as yourself who get pushed into school and college getting the value of education shoved down their throats from birth and yet still have the gaul to bitch about it.

the only way to combat this is to uplift underprivileged societies as a whole, opening up avenues for them in education and jobs. if that comes at an expense of those who have had easier lives then so be it. it might seem unfair to you but its more fair than not giving a shit. meritocracy is a flawed concept in a world where only certain sections of society recognise the perceived value of 'merit'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    what race you are, what class youre born into, what your sexuality is, where you live - all these things define the person you will be.
    wow rayne that was so horrible i'm at a loss for words.

your welcome

i remembered why i stopped debating on the internet. because of people like you.

im not even exactly sure what pants is saying, i thinks its just a loose amalgam of talking points he's heard over the years.

no, i mean you actually believe a person's environment, race, and sex completely defines who they will be? thats completely denying any sense of social diversity in any particular race or sex at all. thats denying that a gay person can act like a normal working straight man without showering other's with his over-femenine qualities.

i would say something more, but you need to think about that.

your welcome

no, i mean you actually believe a person's environment, race, and sex completely defines who they will be?
    on average yes

yes i also believe that, due to the mounds of empirical evidence to the affirmative

so what if a person undergoes an unpopular change? what if that person deny's that existence in their own right? its caged ideas like rayne's that dilute any possible social change or even personal growth to any society. that's actually a very conservative idea right there you two, and i do not agree with it.

your welcome

i dont understand that post

i think you are asking what if a person actively decides to change themselves? well surely that happens, but like, .001% of the time maybe. plus there are factors which will actively block a person from changing their life for the better even if they suddenly magically snap into a frame of mind which is 100% the opposite of what they had grown up with all their lives. so there have to be active policy measures which target the sources of poverty. yes this will require what could be aptly described as "redistribution of wealth" and programs funded through tax dollars. boo hoo.

i think its more than .001% tim. there needs to be a study on this honestly. the census bureau doesn't care to ask about the homeowner's current idealistic or artistic views though. using the absence of such evidence as "evidence" is pretty close-minded.

your welcome

I'd be from the Deepest South
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I am for the biggest possible goverment. Just let the people's party take control of everything.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    [short rant]why are most homosexuals cookie cutter liberals? they supporting gay rights which actually supports the idea of segregation and alienation of their own people... why not just support "people's rights"? fuck all this sexual, racial and class segregation.
    [/short rant]
    Wait what the fuck.

Pants is leading onto a unification vs. social identity problem. I never see this as a problem though. Just give groups the same legal rights as others, that has nothing to do with how they wish to be treated in society.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

But like what.

Women's rights = segregation of women?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    Is it the dream of all Americans to live in New England? Is it regarded as a heavily liberal but desirable location?
    most americans are prideful of their geographic region and want to stay there no matter how good or shitty it is, so not really. new england, of course, is empirically the best place to live.

I don't know about that God. I hear people saying all the time that whey want to move to California/Florida/New York City all the fucking time where I live.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast