Thread: Gray Angel: Descention (Prequel/Stand-Alone Story)

Registered Users Regular

Default Gray Angel: Descension (Prequel/Stand-Alone Story)

(I know that only two people in these entire forums [me and Trixie] know about the Gray Angel stories I write, basically its about a group of humans who became stranded in a distant part of space, and have to find away to unlock the secrets within the derelict ships of a dead race to get back to Earth. This story, set 20 years beforehand, tells the story of the final days of the Radians, the aforementioned dead race. I'm writing this straight from the tap so I hope you'll enjoy it!)

Prologue

The peaceful one is at war without and within.
    -Unknown

The Radian story- the history of my race -has been told many times, with greater and greater idealization, until I scarcely recognise it. Some of the ideals were factually true. The Radians were sophisticated beyond many of our allies and, in the three galaxies our people had colonised, almost unrivalled in power. Our control spanned over two million fertile worlds, and we had achieved great heights of technology and physical knowlege, at least since the time of our unification. The tugging threads of this tale are journey, daring, betrayal and fate. My fate, the fate of a foolish Radian, was joined with the fates of two exiled aliens, my own sister, and a once-great warrior.
    So this tale be told, so be the telling true.

Pretty cool.

Registered Users Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Pretty cool.
    Thanks, man. I appreciate it. Oh, another little thing, since these guys are aliens theyre not gonna use certain words i.e. time measurements, religious terms etc., so if you see stuff with brackets, [like this] that is supposed to mean it was translated into a word we use.

Chapter One: Kal'Rehnjj to Hei'Lajj [Date]: 27.16.8.3.6.8 [Earth Date: 17 Feb, 2027]

I had been serving aboard an [Errant-class Dreadnaught] called [Beacon Of Hope] for the better part of fifty [years]. It had become routine for me to spend most of my free time outside the ship, simply staring at the vast starfield surrounding us, I enjoyed the silence, interrupted only by the faint humming of my armour or the occasional comment on my odd behaviour from my suit's AI. "You are an unusual [person], Fhei'Sa'Kehn Aera." The flickering blue projection of the AI in my head muttered, for what seemed to be for the thousandth time. "I've explained this. There's something about those stars, even though theres a chance I've travelled to several of them , I...just have an insatiable curiosity for what else is out there. I've been like that for as long as I can remember. And I really would prefer it if you just referred to me as 'Fhei', It feels less authoritative that way." I responded, taking in the view once more. Shortly after, I was alerted that the ship would be jumping out of the system in less than an [hour], so I quickly made my way back inside. After being told it was safe, I asked my AI to open my armour's helmet, to which it complied and I felt the armoured headpiece depressurise with a faint hiss of air. The visor slid away from my face, before splitting in two, causing the helmet to release its airtight seal. I pulled it off of my head and felt the cold, humid air against my skin, to which I inhaled deeply to clear my gills and lungs of the recycled air from my suit. I returned to my living chamber and removed the rest of the armour plating, but choosing to continue wearing the skin-sight vacuum suit underneath. I turned to face my chamber's observation glass, taking note once again of the majestic sight before me. I also noticed my reflection in the glass; Like all of my race, I had dull blue skin, black, pupil-less eyes, a slight ridge on my face that was the closest thing to olfactory organs a Raidan had, a pair of small, almost unnoticable tympanum, and webbed hands and feet. The Radian race as a whole was made of two sub-species; The tall, muscular [Warrior] breed, and the [Engineer] breed, which I belonged to. [Engineers], having evolved in shollower areas of Radaijj's world-encompassing oceans, we are not as muscular, our then-poor strength deteriorated further since our species unified, which saw space travel develop and the [Engineer] sub-species becamee the pilots and maintenance crews of our early starships, the gradual muscular deterioration caused by those zero-gravity environments took it's toll. Most Radians had a single artificial facial feature; A data-pattern located around our right eye, which was similar to the crack-like energy and data conduits found on all Radian technology. As it may be plainly obvious, the air was kept so humid on-board because of our race's amphibious nature, the moisture made the air easier to breathe. "Attention crewmembers, the [Beacon Of Hope] will be initiating it's jump from our current position above Kal'Rehnjj to the planet Hei'Lajj, in the Territory Border, in [ten seconds]" My [train of thought] was suddenly interrupted by the ship's jumpnode operator announcing the [Beacon Of Hope's] imminent wormhole jump. The spectacular view was quickly replaced with the all-too familiar tunnel of blue light created by the wormhole. Part of me was dissappointed that the view was gone, but another rejoiced, as the [Beacon Of Hope] had recently been reassigned to the Explorer Contingent, and was headed out of Radian Territory and into the unknown.
    I'm finally getting my wish.
    Last edited by Valkyria; 01-04-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Interesting, they have armor. More details about their race please?

Registered Users Regular

No problem, I'l get right on it. It will be added to the Chapter One post to avoifd further confusion.

Registered Users Regular

Oh, another thing I should explain to avoid confusion, Radian's calendar/date system. It's basically: Day.Month.Year.Decade.Century.Millenium. So their date in the story (27.16.8.3.6.8)is the 27th day of the 16th month, in the year 8638 on the Radian calendar.

Registered Users Regular

Chapter 2: Hei System Outskirts

Two [hours] passed before the Beacon was spat out of the wormhole not far from the moon Hei'lajj, which was a thriving [ecumenopolis] at not just the very edge of Radian Territory, but the edge of explored space, the empty galactic void lying beyond. Over [two thirds] of it's surface was covered in deep blue oceans, while the land was a uniform gray caused by the massive cities that covered it's surface, dotted with the ocasional mountain, oasis of green and the lone desert in the northern hemisphere. The Beacon had stopped here to meet up with the rest of the 5th Explorer Contingent fleet, and to pick up a [company] of Warriors and a large amount of colonisation equipment. I remained stood in front of my observation glass, watching as ships of all kinds swarmed around the moon and it's barren parent world, Hei'lain, which over [one hundred years] ago was foresaken to become one of several Refuge Worlds for the shattered, irrepairable remnants of the brutish Sanaaki, who waged war against us and met the end of there empire, destined to be scattered throughout Radian Territory and left on Refuge Worlds to fend for themselves, while we observed them and studied the different behaviours of their species' remaining shards. As I stared down at the dull brown planet and its paradise moon, I heard footsteps behind me, accompanied by a very familiar voice, which i soon realised belonged to my sister, Sha'Sa'A Aera.
    "You always did enjoy the view wherever you went, brother." She said in her soft, peaceful voice. I turned to face her, she looked very similar to myself, the only differences being the crest on the back of her neck, which all Radian females had, and her height of [6 feet], while I was [8 feet] tall. Like me, and most of our blodline, she had a faint turquoise crest on the back of her neck, in the shape of two intersecting crescents.
    "It helps me relax, and I can't help my curiosity, sister." I replied after a short pause.
    "Don't forget how adventurous you were in our youth. Before we had matured enough to even leave the nest you were causing trouble, trying to get into places you knew you were forbidden to." She said, recalling our Prematurity.

"You remember all that, when it was over [seventy years] ago?"

"Even if I didn't recall it, I would've known that it was what you would've done. You haven't changed as much as you think, Fei."

"I never said I had. The curiosity and ned for adventure are part of who I am."

Sha'Sa paused, as if in thought. "I know. That's why you tried for your entire life to enlist in the Explorer Contingent, regardless of what Mother said. That's why I respect you, brother."
    I nodded slightly, indicating my understanding and mutual respect for my older sister. "The last freighter has docked. we'll be leaving soon." We stared at each other in silence for [several minutes], before the system's Tunnel-Gate activated, the energy conduits on its surface flickering to life and glowing blue, before a wormhole opened up in the station's opening and spat out four more [Dreadnaughts] of various classes. I re-attached my helmet and looked down at the newly-arrived starships; There was another Errant-class ship, the Protective Fate, two Templar-class ships; the Shining Light Of Radaijj and Redemption and Justice, and a massive Nemesis-class Command Barge, the Ardent Flame. The fleet has gathered... my AI commented.
    Now, we leave.