Thread: Libraries

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Libraries

I have a conundrum for you. Libraries will be obsolete as soon as we're certain that everybody in the world has access to digital media, and libraries could be converted to places where you just buy rentable digital media or whatever, and libraries could be converted into homeless shelters or useful public goods that we need. If there was a logistical way to do that and if we scrapped libraries it would actually aid the world enormously, would you think that the cultural appeal of libraries was too great to discard?

major cities with great libraries such as the new york city library and universities with great libraries will always keep their libraries for culture, prestige reasons etc.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I think we would have one library left in every city that would act as a kind of museum of libraries, but other public libraries could be closed down and converted. Historically significant libraries like the Library of Congress would obviously still be kept running, if only for sentimentality's sake.

what god said. addendum: libraries arent just about storing books/information. people go there for an environment conducive to learning or getting work done.

digital information makes accessing information a lot easier but is far less conducive to actually paying proper attention to it, so i doubt things like libraries will ever disappear. there will always be a need for people to actually concentrate. when i live in philadelphia next year i'll probably spend a lot of time in its fancy public library just studying a bunch of shit.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

I personally prefer paper mediums verses digital for reading and research. Although, control F WOULD save me literally days when it comes to research. It's a two sided coin for me.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

yeah i cant stand reading on screens

I like the new screens they're making for the Kindle, Kobo, etc. I don't like reading from LCD screens too much, but the E-reader ones are actually pretty nice on the eyes.

call me old fashioned but i like books with pages and ink.

I do too. If I had a choice between reading from a book and reading from an ereader, I'd choose a book. I just don't have enough room for every book I'd like to read.

when i get my own place im going to have a massive book cabinet. maybe even a room just filled with books.

yeah ill have books all over my place. i cant wait till im like 50 and have just massive amounts of books all over the place.

"The Story of God: Messy Shirts and Math Books."

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

You know I was just thinking of this the other day.

Free internet access/research books will always keep libraries open though for "education" purposes.

Yeah Kirby you're the only one who thought about that great job.

Considering my late appearence to this thread, it's hard to tell if that's sarcastic or not. Im gonna take it as a complement and leave it at that.