Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So who here hates Plato?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    real insightful rayne
    i am arent i. i should totally get a philosophy degree so i can qualify my insightfulness.

re plato: i like the idea of philosopher kings at least

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I love Machiavelli...
    uuuuggghhhh

only reason the name machiavelli rings a bell is assassins creed

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    hey dogar, guess what, THEY DONT DO IDs ON MONDAYS. why of course they dont. any reasonable person would just expect that monday is RANDOMLY the day they dont process a COMMON SERVICE REQUEST even though its not explicitly said ANYWHERE. fucking plebeians, i guess they just sit there jacking each other off all day on mondays.
    hahahahaha Poor God, all he ever wanted to do is get his fucking ID. I'm on campus in the library researching about individually wrapped cheese. Exciting.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I feel the same way about Machiavelli as you do about Plato.
    "The Prince" is a direct assertion that a pragmatic ruler who clings to power through whatever means is NOT a desirable form of government, as pretty much all of his later oeuvre confirmed. Machiavelli, like Nietzche, is misunderstood - surely you can give him credit for inventing modern political science? All we had before Machievelli is Plato's excellent analysis of when a select few come to dominate the political system in "The Republic".

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    Justin read Meno and then talk.
    yeah ya fuckin noob

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    "The Prince" is a direct assertion that a pragmatic ruler who clings to power through whatever means is NOT a desirable form of government, as pretty much all of his later oeuvre confirmed. Machiavelli, like Nietzche, is misunderstood - surely you can give him credit for inventing modern political science? All we had before Machievelli is Plato's excellent analysis of when a select few come to dominate the political system in "The Republic".
    First off, Machiavelli is kind of a crap writer because what he said in 70 pages he could have said in 30 and secondly, he seemed like such a whiner in the way that I read it...

Sure, he influenced modern politics, that doesn't mean I have to like the guy.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    re plato: i like the idea of philosopher kings at least
    I'm not sure about this bit. I mean, there are a lot of historical philosophers that would have been great kings. But then there's always the off chance you end up with one of those out-there ones that get all their inspiration from doing peyote. Then again, that's probably how religion started.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    His whole philosopher king idea is a complete contradiction to what he had previously wrote (Ion for example). So not only is his idea of philosopher kings one of lunacy and elitism it is also a counter to his other writings and thus shows how convoluted and confoundedly lost he was as a thinker.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

His whole philosopher king idea is a complete contradiction to what he had previously wrote (Ion for example). So not only is his idea of philosopher kings one of lunacy and elitism it is also a counter to his other writings and thus shows how convoluted and confoundedly lost he was as a thinker.
    I was talking only about the ideas about the development of government expressed in "The Republic", for example timocracy and oligarchy, which defined the Greek political system, as well as laying the foundation of modern political thought. I think it's a trivial question to wonder whether or not that conforms to what he previously wrote.

Also, the works of Plato were quite possibly rewritten by various civilisations that came to possess them, so wondering whether or not they contradict each other is not as important as wondering whether or not Nietzche contradicted himself. This is an ancient Greek's oeuvre which has been reassembled, revised and translated many times throughout history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12