Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rare revelation of Hicky's thoughts

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default rare revelation of Hicky's thoughts

throughout the day, every day, opening lines to novels, most of them shit and for a novel I haven't or can't devise a plot for, flash in my mind. One of them is, "If luck be a lady, I have just fucked her anally." i think this is a pretty good opening line to a book.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

they're one liners hicky, save them for witty thread replies. we all have them

it's not bad.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

It's pretty bad.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.” Lord's Avatar

if you used the contraction 'i've' it would flow better is what i'm thinkin'

or drop have entirely.... It'd need to be about a gambler or a criminal of some sort though.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

bonus god literary ideas:

i got the idea for a short story the other day sitting at the laundromat. its about some genius physics guy or something like that. he either has some kind of illness or gets into an accident that gives him brain damage and he slowly looses his cognitive abilities. as the story goes on i would go from writing in a fairly simple and straightforward style to making the sentence structure increasingly complex and vague while throwing out more and more esoteric words so the reader gets the impression of things being harder to comprehend as the character begins experiencing the same things.

i dont understand what the sentence is implying. it seems like you're saying the guy is unlucky but that would imply HE'S been fucked in the ass by luck. i dont know what fucking luck is supposed to mean.

Maybe he got really, impossibly lucky and the metaphor implies he dominated luck by raping her anally.

Wait is that a metaphor? I don't know.

yeah, he's completely dominated luck.

If luck be a lady, fucked her have I anally

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    bonus god literary ideas:

i got the idea for a short story the other day sitting at the laundromat. its about some genius physics guy or something like that. he either has some kind of illness or gets into an accident that gives him brain damage and he slowly looses his cognitive abilities. as the story goes on i would go from writing in a fairly simple and straightforward style to making the sentence structure increasingly complex and vague while throwing out more and more esoteric words so the reader gets the impression of things being harder to comprehend as the character begins experiencing the same things.
    what the fuck, that's brilliant god you bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    obviously replace be with something else like is
    maybe, although I don't want to destroy the Guys and Dolls reference

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    what the fuck, that's brilliant god you bastard
    but it would also take brilliance to pull it off

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    as the story goes on i would go from writing in a fairly simple and straightforward style to making the sentence structure increasingly complex and vague while throwing out more and more esoteric words so the reader gets the impression of things being harder to comprehend as the character begins experiencing the same things.
    I've had a similar idea, and I must say that this concept is quite interesting, although I doubt I would enjoy it in the regular reading sense. Not that I would ignore or under-appreciate the rare stylistic approach and sympathetic tone, but considering the difficulty in crafting something in this manner it would be sure to fail as a long prose novel. The fact that you consider it for a short story is indeed a fantastic approach to the pleasure reader, allowing you to develop the story in a shorter setting so as to mesmerize your reader. To successfully contrive this fantastic idea would require varrying degrees of wit and discernment, to which I am sure you've plenty of the former and the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    but it would also take brilliance to pull it off
    Suggesting short story format is already a hint of the brilliance needed. Doing so allows you to refrain from beating your reader over the head repeatedly because I am sure you would need to introduce multiple instances of pseudo consciousness.

(I hate such experiences, especially in regard to stream of consciousness.)

thinking about it, "Ithaca" is the second-to-last chapter of Ulysses, and that's impossible to understand. maybe there's a similar idea there, Joyce is saying that we're too stupid to comprehend the significance of these two random characters meeting up and thus throwing in complex sentences to illustrate how every moment has a divine purpose and isn't just two people meeting

i've tried stream-of-consciousness. my stream-of-consciousness is utterly batshit, and I'm sure everyone's is, it's way more batshit than anything Faulkner, Woolf or Joyce has ever come up with. my mind spends a lot of time involuntarily inventing shit which has no purpose, like quotes etc. nothing with actual structure though

I had several problems with James Joyce when I was studying Ulysses, especially in his reaction to its more immediate reception. I knew from the title it was going to have some correlation with the Odyssey, bu tmaking the connections in your head as you are reading is somewhat of a challenge, especially when reading for pleasure rather than for academic purposes.

i got through it all but with a lot of effort. i had to spend hours reading passages of it aloud and in various places around the house. once you get used to the style it's not too hard, even if you have no idea what the Phoenix Park murders are, except a few chapters where Joyce just fucks with you for the fun of it

i've tried stream-of-consciousness. my stream-of-consciousness is utterly batshit, and I'm sure everyone's is, it's way more batshit than anything Faulkner, Woolf or Joyce has ever come up with. my mind spends a lot of time involuntarily inventing shit which has no purpose, like quotes etc. nothing with actual structure though
    I am going to attempt to tackle this style in a long prose novel I am working rather lazily on. It's more of a systematic headache to undertake than to enjoy, something a friend of mine learned when he began his career in comedy.

i actually tried the stream-of-consciousness style in my recent Legacies of a Pokémon Dream thing. free indirect speech if you can use it right makes a story seem really authentic and personal. Virginia Woolf was the best at using it in a controlled way and not just spamming it like Joyce

i got through it all but with a lot of effort. i had to spend hours reading passages of it aloud and in various places around the house. once you get used to the style it's not too hard, even if you have no idea what the Phoenix Park murders are
    I never attempted reading it aloud to make better sense of it...Thank you for the idea, Hicky. The next time I decide to read through Ulysses (mostly to further understand and utilize stream of consciousness in the repeated sense) I will try that.

except a few chapters where Joyce just fucks with you for the fun of it

Dear god...

i've considered using the style to describe a situation in which five reasonable people are invited to a party and trapped in a house with a madman. i don't think the style's ever been used to scare the shit out people but i think it could be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast