Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rare revelation of Hicky's thoughts

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

and the only chapter in which Joyce actually just shows off for the sake of it is "Ithaca". his sentences are impossible to understand. in the rest of the book you can sort of see the point of everything he does. and I wouldn't recommend it just as an exercise, if you read it correctly the book honestly will really touch you like no other book.

You are right, I do not think I have ever seen it used in that way. Stream of consciousness used in such a way could actually be quite effective at delivering a horrific tale.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it just as an exercise.
    More-so for the strained use. I suppose I should say I am looking closely at how he goes to an extreme with it and at which point the excess is effective.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

who the fuck would bother reading ullyses? you might as well write on the walls of your residence with permanent marker 'i am a pseudo intellectual'

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

and the only chapter in which Joyce actually just shows off for the sake of it is "Ithaca". his sentences are impossible to understand. in the rest of the book you can sort of see the point of everything he does. and I wouldn't recommend it just as an exercise, if you read it correctly the book honestly will really touch you like no other book.
    he tries to justify investing so much time in a book that isn't even a book

What is this I don't even.

Pseudo-intellectuals try to appear clever. If I read it and don't go on about it, who am I appearing clever to?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    he tries to justify investing so much time in a book that isn't even a book
    what criteria are you talking about here. what makes ulysses "not a book". pretty sure it has pages

Pseudo-intellectuals try to appear clever. If I read it and don't go on about it, who am I appearing clever to?
    but you did go on about it, you told the world about it in this very thread

it was a discussion about stream-of-consciousness. i mentioned it because it was relevant, not to show off

why do you hate your national heroes anyway

had an idea for a musical: it's called "The Special Relationship". Richard Nixon and Edward Heath are passionately in love with each other, and they stage the Watergate Scandal so they can live together in England.

Examples of songs from this musical: Nixon is trying to write a presidential address, and keeps accidentally writing love letters to Heath. Also, lyrics I've concocted: "The federal bureaucracy, tries to stop our matrimony, I just want to be set free, renowned as here is for liberty."

I'd watch it.

i told my dad about it and he said it'd have very "limited appeal" and i said "you're just not cultured enough to get it. i'll tell all the literary critics that my parents lack of encouragement of my creative spirit is a key literary motif"

I wish I could talk to my dad about my future homoerotic plays.

I just set myself up for a crude joke at my expense by God or Dogar. I have no idea what it is yet but let's hope it's funny.

i don't write homoerotic plays because i'm not gay, i write them because i'm secure with my heterosexuality

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    I wish I could talk to my dad about my future homoerotic plays.
    "Son I do not wish for you to go down the same path I, your father, have gone down in my own youth. That journey only ends in two ways, bottom or top."

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12