Thread: Capitalism v. Communism

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Default Capitalism v. Communism

This isn't actually a debate about what's better because that bores the fuck outta me having spent an entire semester studying a module based on introductory political theory but I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the following:

Do you think it would be fair to suggest that one being born into a capitalistic society makes them a lot more likely to develop some sort of special snowflake complex where they are firmly encouraged by all to believe they can be whatever they want, and that they are different to everyone else (this would, of course, be presented in stark contrast against, say, more collectivist eastern [dare I say it - potentially communist] countries where deindividuation is usually the way to go) but over time the inner mechanics of the capitalistic machine reveal themselves to the special snowflake in a series of stunning life disappointments, at which point they tend to go through a quarter-life crisis and re-evaluate their strengths and weaknesses and realise that maybe their potential and their reality are two different things. And then this harrowing experience leads them to seek meaning from life in another way, which could well end up with them wishing they were just another cog in a well-oiled machine ( la communism) as opposed to unwittingly being one anyway ( la the diminished, broken dreams of the youth in this current recessionary climate). I think this could be a rising underground movement either right now or in the near future. Obviously there are some extreme generalisations and assumptions - I like to think of what I just wrote as an economic theory; taking everything for granted and simplifying all of it.

I thought it would be interesting to get your perspectives considering the diverse range of backgrounds we have on this forum.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

In retrospect, this topic wasn't so aptly titled. I'm using the old sleep deprivation excuse. The capitalism versus communism idea is simply background filler. The question is do you think someone is more likely to be happy as part of an individualistic culture or a collectivist culture?

God wheres that post you made discrediting the "theory" that raising the minimum wage causes inflation?
    Quote Originally Posted by giftsbestt View Post
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

i dont know but heres an article about it
    http://backtofullemployment.org/2013...use-inflation/

This thread is catering more towards utility than happiness caused by monetary gain, fellows.

I would have thought you guys would be all over this, it being the first time I've ever made a thread that resembled anything somewhat political.

speaking of economics i really wanna read the piketty book but i want to read it in french and the only french copies i can find online are too expensive

I only asked because some guy on my newsfeed is talking a lot of shit about the fact that seattle is raising their minimum wage to $15.
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    speaking of economics i really wanna read the piketty book but i want to read it in french and the only french copies i can find online are too expensive
    I've read various economists' reviews of it and they're all saying it's the economic best seller equivalent of a John Green novel - filled with tons and tons of empirical evidence and is only making it big because of its hype. It's not supposed to be that great.

I would be curious to check it out anyway though.

I don't see what is wrong with the 'special snowflake complex' first off. Its usually just nonsense conservatives spout when faces with people who have individualized problems, and they try to demean them and show how little they are.

Fuck that line of thought, that's how people commit suicide.

Wait what?

> I don't see what's wrong with someone thinking they're a special snowflake
    > it leads to suicide
    >nothing wrong
    > suicide

What?

The line often placed with it is "deal with it" and to continue life as they want, when they cannot "deal with it" they sometimes commit suicide as they see no way out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The line often placed with it is "deal with it" and to continue life as they want, when they cannot "deal with it" they sometimes commit suicide as they see no way out.
    Right, okay. But surely then it would be better to be a member of a collectivist culture where you aren't indoctrinated (with lies pertaining to your potential) as soon as you are born, because then you wouldn't at some point find out they were lies, having been told the truth your whole life, and the glass cage that is capitalistic dreams wouldn't shatter all around you, and you wouldn't become disillusioned with life?
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

To be honest that is American rhetoric but nobody sincerely believes it past the age of 12.