Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fuck im depressed

studying how chemical reactions in the brain can affect mood is

Too bad those chemical reactions create heroin-like withdraw symptoms over long periods of use.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Unfortunately most people do not understand moderation. Then again, sometimes even the prescribed amount could led to withdrawal symptoms or addiction, but they always warn you about that ahead of time so you can't sue them...

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by RedCheetah View Post
    Too bad those chemical reactions create heroin-like withdraw symptoms over long periods of use.
    Um, I think he means the natural chemicals the brain produces

Hm, personally, I think antidepressants have their time and place. They shouldn't be given in cases of mild depression, that's for sure; research has proven over and over that in mildly depressed people, therapy alone is more than enough to correct the problem.

In the case of severe depression, however, they can be quite helpful. Therapeutic techniques can be hard to implement if the person is too depressed to even bother trying, after all. Antidepressants are pretty useful in getting a person to a mood level where they're able to participate meaningfully in therapy.

I think the problem with antidepressants comes in when people oversimplify the disorder and reduce it to a mere neurotransmitter problem. That's one part of it, yes, but it's also hugely cognitive. Depression always causes negative thinking patterns, even if you're not inclined to think that way normally, and those patterns keep you depressed. Just think of all the times a depressed person has probably turned down an opportunity to, say, hang out with people, erroneously thinking that people will find them boring or strange. They just contribute to their own feelings of emptiness and loneliness by needlessly limiting their interpersonal relationships. Depressed people with that type of thinking will benefit from medication, but they've already learned a way of thinking that they have to unlearn. Until they do that, they're not going to be truly happy. Throwing antidepressants at the problem and calling it a day doesn't fix anything.

το αίμα μου είχε το χρώμα του ουρανού

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Unfortunately most people do not understand moderation. Then again, sometimes even the prescribed amount could led to withdrawal symptoms or addiction, but they always warn you about that ahead of time so you can't sue them...
    There was a good 2 decades where they adamantly told patients there were no withdraw symptoms. It was only after people started checking into institutions to go through their withdraw that they reluctantly admitted you *may* experience discomfort when weening off the pills. As for moderation, people take what's on the bottle more or less and even that fucks you up.

There were no long term studies done, there was no withdraw analysis, there was just throwing people on medication. People have been on these pills for years to combat a "chemical imbalance" from a divorce, a move, a family member passing, stress at work, etc. Those aren't chemical imbalances, those are legitimate reasons to be depressed. A chemical imbalance, a clinically diagnosed one, is one that exists usually since early childhood and will be with you your entire life.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

Walrus needs to differentiate between cynicism and depression. Granted there's a fine line and one can lead to the other, but I prefer to make the distinction as depressed people THINK something isn't worth doing, and cynics would actually have a more enjoyable time proving to someone why it wouldn't be worth doing than actually doing the thing in question.

I know what you mean about not being able to talk about "real" stuff- I can't with my current bunch of friends. I have one friend I've known for years though, and we just call each other to talk when we feel this way.
    This might be a little weird but I have long philosophical conversations with my dad and I don't really want to talk about any of that stuff to other friends anyway. Talking about movies and other fun stuff is enough. I really don't expect to be friends with them much after my course.

I suppose you just have to find something different to do- even lying around and resting after all the exams shouldn't really make you feel bad about yourself. I'd say you've earned a little time to laze around without feeling guilty about it.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Rayne isn't clinically depressed, just lonely

i feel fine now. last night was probably just a mood swing. god i wish somebody would delete this thread.

SSRI medication is bullshit

poor rayne though

Rayne the protagonist of the book I'm reading reminds me of you.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

and what book is that

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

I get into funks too, it's just how things happen sometimes. I'm not saying this with backed research or what he you but it seems to me people with a highly active mind ( be it creative or just traditional intelligence) get angsty and melancholy easily when they aren't doing something because of a bad routine. For example, I've been feeling down for a week and got myself into a really bad schedual, this led me to feeling like I don't do anything in my life and thus get depressed and then I really don't do anything. The way I break this mood is how I useally do anything, hit it fast and hard, or in other words make a dramatic change in the pattern even if it hurts. Today was one of the many days tht I do such a thing. I got 3 hours of sleep, forced myself to wake up at 7:30, didn't eat anything and went to class. It sucked, it REALLY sucked, God probably heard me mumbling to myself how much it sucked, but, I did it and it breaks the pattern. Now, one of the most important parts of the whole story, after my 2 classes, I went to a nice quite bathroom with dimmed lights, sat down on a clean toilet, and sat on that wonderful thing for a good 15 minutes and enjoyed the moment. Believe me, if you want to feel good on the inside, get the inside out.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

To be honest, i really just wanted an excuse to write how great that shit was.

All I said is true though.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

you have inspired me dogar

i am going to take a shit right now

that shit was terrible you fucking liar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    To be honest, i really just wanted an excuse to write how great that shit was.

All I said is true though.
    sure, 'shit'

It was so good my whole lower body was quivering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    and what book is that

The Engineer trilogy: Devices and Desires.
    I'm on the next book now though.
    Originally made by LM:

why do i remind you of that guy apart from the fact that im going to be an engineer

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

maybe he's depressed, pessimistic or just generally a boring character
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    maybe he's depressed, pessimistic or just generally a boring character
    Ooooh sick burn from looord

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    why do i remind you of that guy apart from the fact that im going to be an engineer
    I don't know- the way he talks just makes me think of how you would talk
    And he's a good engineer, and is interested in learning everything, often ending up with a better result than those who taught him the skills in the first place. Some resent him for that but they have to give him respect.

And he's in a strange country now and he's trying to learn his way around by adapting.
    Originally made by LM:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast