Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: can the world wars truly be called world wars

  1. #1
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default can the world wars truly be called world wars

    the participants of both the wars were only a handful of nations. yes, they were probably the most powerful and influential nations in the world at that time but how can you justify saying its a 'world war' when most of the world wasnt involved in conflict? no country outside of europe, and only a minority of europe was actively engaged in conflict, except america and japan, which didnt play a huge role, fought in the first world war. the second world war was arguably a bigger deal but it consisted of more or less the same band of belligerent nations. the rest of north america didnt care. the rest of asia didnt care. the whole of south america, africa and oceania didnt care. it seems highly egotistical to term a war based around a single continent with primarily western participants a 'world war'.

  2. #2
    Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kaleidoscope Of Mathematics
    Posts
    18,263

    Default

    History books seem to forget that countries such as Canada, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, Brazil, Portugal, Greece, Australia, Poland, Egypt, Iraq, Finland etc. were involved in the wars.

    Most of them just supplied troops and/or supplies to the big name countries, and thus are apparently not important enough to be noted.

  3. #3
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    i doubt most of them were autonomous participants. they were likely either under control of the big powers or coerced into giving them resources.

  4. #4
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,966

    Default

    Regardless of whether or not they were autonomous, they participated making it a "world war".

  5. #5
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    a lot of those countries like canada, australia, india were colonies of the countries that participated in the war and therefore had no choice but to provide aid to whichever countries were colonising them. i consider canada's providing resources less of a canadian thing and more of a british thing. regardless, even if you count all those countries which were involved in the war in the slightest, you still leave a majority of the world which did not participate.

  6. #6
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,966

    Default

    Fun fact: Canada actually did contribute many troops to WWI and WWII, and not just aid.

    Also, here's a map of WWI's participants:



    Here's WWII:


  7. #7
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,966

    Default

    Makes germany seem so lonely

  8. #8
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    oh wow

  9. #9
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,966

    Default

    ikr

  10. #10
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    but again most of those countries were only involved because of coercion or colonisation. i suppose the aptness of the 'world war' moniker depends on whether you consider that indirect involvement makes the nation itself a participant.

  11. #11
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default

    lol how the hell was the uae involved in ww1 and ww2. it wasnt even a nation by then. those maps seem dubious now.

  12. #12
    Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kaleidoscope Of Mathematics
    Posts
    18,263

    Default

    I like how Ireland decided to not participate in WWII.

  13. #13
    Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kaleidoscope Of Mathematics
    Posts
    18,263

    Default

    Damn, they even color-coded all those islands.

  14. #14
    princeso Kirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,004

    Default

    Man look at all those green people.

  15. #15
    I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    I like how Ireland decided to not participate in WWII.
    just follow the swiss is my motto
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

  16. #16
    princeso Kirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,004

    Default

    I am fine with the current world wars, although I kinda want the seven years war to be considered on aswell.

  17. #17
    Gym Assistant King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    the participants of both the wars were only a handful of nations. yes, they were probably the most powerful and influential nations in the world at that time but how can you justify saying its a 'world war' when most of the world wasnt involved in conflict? no country outside of europe, and only a minority of europe was actively engaged in conflict, except america and japan, which didnt play a huge role, fought in the first world war. the second world war was arguably a bigger deal but it consisted of more or less the same band of belligerent nations. the rest of north america didnt care. the rest of asia didnt care. the whole of south america, africa and oceania didnt care. it seems highly egotistical to term a war based around a single continent with primarily western participants a 'world war'.
    Virtually every European country participated in WW2, alongside Canada, Britain, New Zealand, Australia, Burma, the Philippines, China, The United States, Japan, Russia, Iraq, Thailand, Korea, Haiti, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh (As British India) and loads more countries were involved in one way or another with the War.

    We rarely even call the first world war a world war here, we call it the Great War.

  18. #18
    Gym Assistant King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    I like how Ireland decided to not participate in WWII.
    No, instead they just turned over Jewish refugees to the Nazis and then housed and protected Nazis post war.

  19. #19
    Gym Assistant King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    a lot of those countries like canada, australia, india were colonies of the countries that participated in the war and therefore had no choice but to provide aid to whichever countries were colonising them. i consider canada's providing resources less of a canadian thing and more of a british thing. regardless, even if you count all those countries which were involved in the war in the slightest, you still leave a majority of the world which did not participate.
    Canada wasn't a British territory, it was a country that optionally aided Britain and declared war on Germany and Italy independently. The Canadians sent hundreds of thousands of troops to the front lines in the two world wars and took a beach on D-Day alone.

  20. #20
    if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    there's a snake in my boot!
    Posts
    4,212

    Default

    labels dont have to be entirely literal rayne. why the fuck do we call "universal studios" when they are only 1 production studio, and have no control of outside studios beyond competition, or even non-earthly production studios not yet discovered?


    your welcome

  21. #21
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,551

    Default


  22. #22
    princeso Kirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,004

    Default

    I still think the seven years war should be considered a world war.

  23. #23
    Gym Assistant King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    460

    Default

    The seven years war wasn't as catastrophic as the two world wars.

  24. #24
    This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    retarded
    Posts
    13,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    labels dont have to be entirely literal rayne. why the fuck do we call "universal studios" when they are only 1 production studio, and have no control of outside studios beyond competition, or even non-earthly production studios not yet discovered?

  25. #25
    princeso Kirby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    19,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    The seven years war wasn't as catastrophic as the two world wars.
    What does catastrophy have to do with its Global scale?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •