Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can the world wars truly be called world wars

Default can the world wars truly be called world wars

the participants of both the wars were only a handful of nations. yes, they were probably the most powerful and influential nations in the world at that time but how can you justify saying its a 'world war' when most of the world wasnt involved in conflict? no country outside of europe, and only a minority of europe was actively engaged in conflict, except america and japan, which didnt play a huge role, fought in the first world war. the second world war was arguably a bigger deal but it consisted of more or less the same band of belligerent nations. the rest of north america didnt care. the rest of asia didnt care. the whole of south america, africa and oceania didnt care. it seems highly egotistical to term a war based around a single continent with primarily western participants a 'world war'.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

History books seem to forget that countries such as Canada, Serbia, Montenegro, Romania, Brazil, Portugal, Greece, Australia, Poland, Egypt, Iraq, Finland etc. were involved in the wars.

Most of them just supplied troops and/or supplies to the big name countries, and thus are apparently not important enough to be noted.

i doubt most of them were autonomous participants. they were likely either under control of the big powers or coerced into giving them resources.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Regardless of whether or not they were autonomous, they participated making it a "world war".

a lot of those countries like canada, australia, india were colonies of the countries that participated in the war and therefore had no choice but to provide aid to whichever countries were colonising them. i consider canada's providing resources less of a canadian thing and more of a british thing. regardless, even if you count all those countries which were involved in the war in the slightest, you still leave a majority of the world which did not participate.

Fun fact: Canada actually did contribute many troops to WWI and WWII, and not just aid.

Also, here's a map of WWI's participants:

Here's WWII:

Makes germany seem so lonely

oh wow

ikr

but again most of those countries were only involved because of coercion or colonisation. i suppose the aptness of the 'world war' moniker depends on whether you consider that indirect involvement makes the nation itself a participant.

lol how the hell was the uae involved in ww1 and ww2. it wasnt even a nation by then. those maps seem dubious now.

I like how Ireland decided to not participate in WWII.

Damn, they even color-coded all those islands.

Man look at all those green people.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    just follow the swiss is my motto
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

I am fine with the current world wars, although I kinda want the seven years war to be considered on aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    the participants of both the wars were only a handful of nations. yes, they were probably the most powerful and influential nations in the world at that time but how can you justify saying its a 'world war' when most of the world wasnt involved in conflict? no country outside of europe, and only a minority of europe was actively engaged in conflict, except america and japan, which didnt play a huge role, fought in the first world war. the second world war was arguably a bigger deal but it consisted of more or less the same band of belligerent nations. the rest of north america didnt care. the rest of asia didnt care. the whole of south america, africa and oceania didnt care. it seems highly egotistical to term a war based around a single continent with primarily western participants a 'world war'.
    Virtually every European country participated in WW2, alongside Canada, Britain, New Zealand, Australia, Burma, the Philippines, China, The United States, Japan, Russia, Iraq, Thailand, Korea, Haiti, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh (As British India) and loads more countries were involved in one way or another with the War.

We rarely even call the first world war a world war here, we call it the Great War.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    No, instead they just turned over Jewish refugees to the Nazis and then housed and protected Nazis post war.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    a lot of those countries like canada, australia, india were colonies of the countries that participated in the war and therefore had no choice but to provide aid to whichever countries were colonising them. i consider canada's providing resources less of a canadian thing and more of a british thing. regardless, even if you count all those countries which were involved in the war in the slightest, you still leave a majority of the world which did not participate.
    Canada wasn't a British territory, it was a country that optionally aided Britain and declared war on Germany and Italy independently. The Canadians sent hundreds of thousands of troops to the front lines in the two world wars and took a beach on D-Day alone.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

labels dont have to be entirely literal rayne. why the fuck do we call "universal studios" when they are only 1 production studio, and have no control of outside studios beyond competition, or even non-earthly production studios not yet discovered?

your welcome

I still think the seven years war should be considered a world war.

The seven years war wasn't as catastrophic as the two world wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    labels dont have to be entirely literal rayne. why the fuck do we call "universal studios" when they are only 1 production studio, and have no control of outside studios beyond competition, or even non-earthly production studios not yet discovered?

Quote Originally Posted by King View Post
    The seven years war wasn't as catastrophic as the two world wars.
    What does catastrophy have to do with its Global scale?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast