Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Studying for the ACT

is good for you

Yeah, AP classes are nothing special, it doesn't even require more effort in homework and shit

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

It kinda depends on the class. My AP Euro history was easy, but I had an awesome teacher who made the class engaging and fun and he covered all the material with a month to spare so we watched stuff like The Twilight Zone, and a bunch of good, classic movies instead. (He had a minor in film) I ended up getting a 3 on the national test.

On the other hand, I took two AP English classes which had us write about three in-class essays a week, read a book once a month, and forced us to really learn to write "more professionally". If you used 'this' at the beginning of a sentence the teacher would stop reading and grade what she had read. Plus, we could not get away with using 'like' colloquially, and always had to describe our ideas, not use phrases such as "Many people agree..."

It was stressful at times, but I think it helped me in the long run. I ended up get a 4 on the national test and tested out of the freshman english course at my university.

any class that is meant to teach to you write 'more professionally' is a terrible class

IMHO LOL

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

yeah any professional writing class baffles me, usually because the grammatical rules they enforce are either outdated or just completely wrong. subjects that should be compulsory in school for a good few years include culinary arts; business english (no missing semi-colon) and law
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

writing 'professionally' might be sort of dumb but writing better isnt. i dont know about no sentences starting with 'this', but banning use of 'like' and 'many people agree' are good starting points.

i think reading a lot should be encouraged but placing restrictions on what can be written is dumb. some of the best writing i have read would probably be spurned by 'professional readers' or WHATEVER.

is good for you

"Word on the wind says"

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    writing 'professionally' might be sort of dumb but writing better isnt. i dont know about no sentences starting with 'this', but banning use of 'like' and 'many people agree' are good starting points.
    no i dont think they should be told outright 'dont do this' or 'dont do that' because teaching language in terms of a method seems wrong to me. they should be exposed to that language enough, whether through reading or listening to speeches/lectures, that they intuitively understand why using 'like' or 'many people agree' are frowned upon.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

no, there are no good starting points. anyone attempting to alter how they write is altering how the speak, which means they're changing their vernacular, which means their effectively stopping the evolution of language in its path
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

you have to teach people how to write in such a way that people reading it wont think they're stupid

nothing should be frowned upon and good writing can't be taught. it's a talent. i should know this because it's my best talent. just like 'good posting' can't be taught. sure it's different but nobody's going to become the next stephen king overnight because they stood by some new grammar rules and helpful phrasing tips. if you can't easily construct a fluid sentence, no amount of tips are going to change that. you can sound more formal, but what you write won't be anymore convicting

you have to teach people how to write in such a way that people reading it wont think they're stupid
    it's stupid for people to think anyone who writes without keeping strictly to a code is stupid. opinions should decide whether someone thinks someone is stupid, not the instinct of phrase and basic communication

good writing can be taught and learned. i was a terrible writer when i was young and got good by writing a lot of having what i wrote(shitty fanfiction) harshly critiqued by people a lot older than me.

good writing can be taught and learned. i was a terrible writer when i was young and got good by writing a lot of having what i wrote(shitty fanfiction) harshly critiqued by people a lot older than me.
    internet fanfic critics are, in my opinion, miles better than english teachers whose aim is to make your writing more 'professional'

is good for you

GOD do you have any archives of the fanfiction?

i could probably dig some up

i had a lot of fanfiction that i never posted saved on ff.net. however i think they delete those files after a certain amount of time so those stories have been lost to the sands of time.

Im incapable to learning how to write well. And I have papers to prove it.

do i owe my entire writing intellect to pokemon fan fic critics?

id say its around 70% for me

i would say

nope

(for me)

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I probably could have worded my post differently, but the class was more of a "learn to write eloquently and to be clear in your thoughts" rather than an extreme "do this instead of that" class. Starting a sentence with "this" doesn't solve all that much, among other things.

It's similar to when I took public speaking in elementary school and everytime I (or another classmate) used 'like' or 'um' or some other crutch word during a speech, the teacher would ring a bell. After three years of this, I don't use crutch words, instead I either wait silently for the right word or slightly change topic, but I was conditioned to avoid them so now I literally can't use 'umm' in regular speech. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    do i owe my entire writing intellect to pokemon fan fic critics?
    i pretty much do, except final fantasy fanfiction

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast