Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85

Thread: I wish people shared my enthusiasm for certain things

  1. #26
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    i dont necessarily think that in general kids in private colleges are smarter than those in public schools so the 'private vs public' thing is irrelevant. it depends on the school.
    Yes people in public colleges are by definition dumber than private school kids, saying otherwise is stupid. I'm more or less saying that private schools DO expect more from you and thus my work would fall between a B to B+ range.

    And by private schools I mean REAL ones, not those 50,000 dollar a year schools no one has ever heard of schools, I mean Ivy League level.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  2. #27
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    also id argue that private schools on average are EASIER than public schools
    .

  3. #28
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Ok Rayne, you deff. Know what you're talking about seeing as you have so much exposure to Americas higher education system.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  4. #29
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    im sorry your education degree from Pokedream University makes you infinitely more knowledgable than a foreign kid who literally spent months doing nothing but researching schools that he was applying to
    Last edited by Dogar The Brave; 07-31-2012 at 12:23 AM.

  5. #30
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    I've studied and have been exposed to over half a dozen higher education institutions, I have friends and relatives that are in or graduated from Ivy League schools and more importantly I've lived in America all my life. But it's cool rayne, im sure you searching on google tots has a one up on me.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  6. #31
    Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kaleidoscope Of Mathematics
    Posts
    18,316

    Default

    I don't understand why people would spend double the money to get the same degree.

  7. #32
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    it's literally impossible to flunk out of a course in an ivy league school. brown actually has a system where you can drop any class at any time and have it not show up on your transcript. ivy leagues are notorious for grade inflation and their average gpas at places like stanford and harvard are around the 3.6 mark. in contrast the schools with the worst grade deflation are mostly public schools (berkeley and ucla come to mind). theres also the fact that at public schools are so big its difficult to register for classes and difficult to get assistance from actual professors. you can wave your history and anecdotes in my face but these are all well documented facts. you could argue that the prevalence of better grades in private institutions is because they have better students but i dont think anyone would contest the fact that the average berkeley student is just as intelligent as the average ivy league student, yet the average gpa at berkeley is 2.9.

  8. #33
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    I don't understand why people would spend double the money to get the same degree.
    because of the prestige (assuming we're talking about elite schools) and because you get mollycoddled the four years youre there

  9. #34

  10. #35
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    it's literally impossible to flunk out of a course in an ivy league school. brown actually has a system where you can drop any class at any time and have it not show up on your transcript. ivy leagues are notorious for grade inflation and their average gpas at places like stanford and harvard are around the 3.6 mark. in contrast the schools with the worst grade deflation are mostly public schools (berkeley and ucla come to mind). theres also the fact that at public schools are so big its difficult to register for classes and difficult to get assistance from actual professors. you can wave your history and anecdotes in my face but these are all well documented facts. you could argue that the prevalence of better grades in private institutions is because they have better students but i dont think anyone would contest the fact that the average berkeley student is just as intelligent as the average ivy league student, yet the average gpa at berkeley is 2.9.
    Rayne stop being so fucking foreign, Berkly may be "public" but it isn't public. It mine as well be on the private level. So shut up already you are wrong. And yes there is grade inflation but they are the ones making the best research and getting published bcause they ARE that good. Look at the bigger picture you moron.



    And yes Pichubro, most degrees are stupid to earn in a private school but te ones that matter, ie law, the sciences, social sciences that lead to professorships are why people want to go to ivy league/ upper level schools because they ARE the best.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  11. #36
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default


  12. #37
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    im not contesting how 'good' these schools are dogar. im saying your assumption that privates are harder than publics is retarded.

  13. #38
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    They expect more is what I said.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  14. #39
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    dogar: what is the best way to manage your money?
    student: answer
    dogar: dfijhiklrsjd hl YOU MORON!!!! FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY FUCKING MORN NO THATS NOT WHAT I WOULD DO AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING LIBERAL PUSSY ILL FUCK YOU UP!!!!!!!!!
    .

  15. #40
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Huh?

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  16. #41
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    just a quote thats mildly relevant

  17. #42
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Rayne private schools get the better crops. Thinking otherwise is just silly.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  18. #43
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    if youre talking about ivy calibre privates then yeah no shit. but its not because they 'expect more' or because theyre 'harder'. in fact its exactly the opposite along with public perception of prestige.

  19. #44
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,803

    Default

    average grades are in fact higher in "private" schools, i read some article about it, but i didnt read about the methodology so they might have included shit like university of pheonix or fuckin christian university of southern oregon or something.

    even ASSUMING ivy leagues etc arent harder, the students who go there are still smarter. it would be silly so say that people who go to top ranked schools are ALL super smart, and it would be silly to say that there are NO students in state schools who are on the same level intellectual as the smartest students at harvard etc, but it would also be stupid to deny that the students at top ranked schools are ON AVERAGE, significantly smarter than their state school counterparts.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  20. #45
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    Duh REAL private schools are better period because they have better profs. And students. Yes some majors are not worth it and are just taken tere for the name, but you DONT know how many dumb ppl are in state schools. There are probs. dumb ppl in good schools but more, WAY more are in state schools.

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  21. #46
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    id agree that students at top ranked privates are on average more intelligent than students at top ranked publics, but dogar didnt add the 'top ranked' prefix to his blanket statement.

  22. #47
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,803

    Default

    we're really not talking about strictly private vs. public. berkley is public but its OBVIOUSLY a top ranked school and not like most state colleges. we're just talking about students at top ranked schools, mostly private but maybe one or two prestigious public schools like berkley vs. students from "regular" state colleges.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  23. #48
    In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    By the shore.
    Posts
    22,951

    Default

    At rayne

    Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

  24. #49
    what about .. eyebrows God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    among the people
    Posts
    49,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    I don't understand why people would spend double the money to get the same degree.
    ivy leagues **ETC** schools will pay for basically anything you cant afford. for someone with an average or below average family income if they can get accepted into a school like that it's probably the most cost effective actually.
    "I'll go," said Chagataev. "But what will I do there? Build socialism?"
    "What else?" said the secretary.

  25. #50
    Registered Users Regular Rayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    8,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    we're really not talking about strictly private vs. public. berkley is public but its OBVIOUSLY a top ranked school and not like most state colleges. we're just talking about students at top ranked schools, mostly private but maybe one or two prestigious public schools like berkley vs. students from "regular" state colleges.
    well that is a dumb comparison because the answer is obvious

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •