Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why doesnt pd have a movie thread

Default why doesnt pd have a movie thread

well it does now

just saw inglourious basterds. it was okay. it would have been better if there was more brad pitt, less jewish girl and the tarantino-ness was turned down. its like tarantino wrote a draft of the script and decided it wasnt kooky enough so he painstakingly made it kookier. like the scene leading up to the theatre blowing up.

its the only time i think tarantinos thing worked, i liked it.

also i saw united 93 about a week ago and it was fantastic. i really didnt and still dont care for 9/11 because a) im not american and b) i was too young during its occurrence and aftermath to fully appreciate the event, but the film shook me. shivers ran down my spine when the first plane crashed into the tower and the ending left me awestruck for a good ten minutes before i turned the television off. great movie. short movie. WATCH IT.

pulp fiction and reservoir dogs were fantastic. jackie brown and inglourious basterds were okay. i havent really sat down and seen kill bill in its entirety, only parts of it on tv, but i didnt like what i did see.

tarantino has a very weird preoccupation with the word 'niggers' though. the subtitles in inglourious basterds turned it into 'negro' but i guarantee that if tarantino had decided to shoot the film in english 'niggers' wouldve been mentioned at least twenty times.

also im a bit upset with all the acclaim the avengers is getting. i mean it was fun but just because its a peck above what is generally expected from a superhero/action movie doesnt mean it deserves being given 9/10s across the board or people going to see it multiple times or the insane amount of money that its making. its still a generic summer blockbuster that plays to the penchant that the average idiot moviegoer has for cheap thrills and lame jokes while vacuuming all the money from his wallet.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Kill Bill was great, but you kind of have to be a bit of a movie geek to get all of it, especially part 2.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

/movie elitism

i saw this documentary called 'it might get loud'. it basically takes jimmy page, the edge and the weirdo from the white stripes, puts them in a room and has them talk about... random bullshit. if you asked me to tell you what the film was about, i couldnt. i dont think the film knows what its about. wikipedia says it 'explores the history of the electric guitar' but there was not much electric guitar history in it at all. parts of the film focused on the history of led zeppelin, u2 and the white stripes, parts on the history of the guitarists themselves, parts on their own guitars, parts on their influences, etc, etc and it just veers randomly from one topic to another in a confusing manner, interlacing the narratives of one musician with another with weird little cutscenes, and not spending enough time on anything so what youre left with is a whole bunch of eclectic information that you really cant make sense of. also, it didnt get very loud. the final jam session consisted of the three of them strumming acoustics and singing some folk song, and these are three guitarists from some of the most prolific rock bands of all time. disappointing.

im going to edit the pseudo reviews above with film posters because film posters are cool.

except the avengers. fuck the avengers.

no, fuck YOU Rayne. And go read Avengers vs. X-Men. Review THAT.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

jack white is pretty great though
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

the edge's intro to miracle drug is probably the reason i took up the guitar
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

also on your comment that 'it doesn't get loud,' in their defence the film is only called 'it might get loud.' it doesn't promise anything

GLADIATOR
    AWESOME FIGHTS
    RUSSELL CROWE IS BADASS
    GREAT PERFORMANCE BY JOAQUIN PHOENIX
    GOOD MOVIE

I WAS VERY ENTERTAINED

2000 ad

yes i found that amusing

OR SHOULD I SAY ENTERTAINING

trying to learn french has lent me an excuse to watch a bunch of french films i've been meaning to see. THEY HAVE BEEN:

Le Fils(2002) - The Son. This is really really good and one of the best films of the 00s. It's about a carpenter who works at an apprentice center mostly teaching juvenile delinquents etc. His son was murdered years earlier and he finds out that the murder has been placed in the center, and offers to have him in his carpentry class. The guy doesn't really know why he's doing it(it's not a revenge thing) and the kid starts to look up to the guy, having never had a positive male role model etc. The performance by the carpenter(Olivier Gourmet) is one of the best performances I've ever seen and the film extremely tense and engrossing with rather sparse dialogue.

La bataille d'Algers(1966) - The Battle of Algiers. Actually made by an Italian, but the dialogue splits between French and Arabic. About the late 50s anti-colonial Algerian independence movement. Would be on the short list of best films I've ever seen. Downloaded it late last night and was intending to maybe watch 15-20 minutes, go to sleep and finish in the morning, but I just kept with it for the whole 2 hours because it was so good. Exceptionally well-shot, basically everything about it is amazingly good. Everyone should watch it.

Vivre sa vie(1962) - Would be translated as something like "To Live her Life." Godard film. Really good. About a woman who leaves her husband with the intention of becoming an actress, eventually goes into prostitution. Very well-shot, interestingly put together, good dialogue. Great ending. Probably not ALL TIME GREAT level but definitely one of the better films I've ever seen and also should be watched by everyone.

Au hasard, Balthazar(1966) - Translated as something like "Balthazar by chance", or maybe "by accident", idk. This is something I need to watch against because it's one of those 'deep' films. I liked it well enough on the first watch though. Very "artistic" but not obnoxiously so. Definitely can be perplexing at times though. About a girl and her pet donkey who both grow up and meet various forms of misfortune. Lots of film critics who dont stick primarily to sucking off hollywood shit consider it to be one of the very best films ever made so it's worth watching and trying to understand/appreciate.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

My favorite French film is L'Auberge espagnole. Great comedy.

is good for you

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Watch Truffaut, he makes really obscure books into films and he has a really slick style. Most of his films also are predominantly improvised, and they usually don't have permission to film in the places that they're filmed. "Tirer sur le pianiste" is pretty fantastic.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I'll watch La Bataille d'Algiers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast