Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: why doesnt pd have a movie thread

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I would like to say I think westerns filmed by Americans are pretty much always shit. I was watching High Noon the other day and it was so obnoxiously straightforward it did my head in

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Project X is actually an okay film if you take into account it's not meant to be deep. Why are critics and the internet expecting something thought-provoking and meaningful? It's meant to be about a party that gets too big, there's no moral ffs!!!
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

easily my favorite film, and a fitting starting point for a league of reviews.

i've never seen any film entirely encompass the idea of "perfection" closer than this. the cinematography is both brilliant and meaningful, exploding with clever camera use to pose the tone, cunningly flesh out the characters, and even reprise visual jokes and past characters. the music is chosen flawlessly, using inappropriate music for different situations on purpose, tense string and synthetics all add distinct flavor to even the most mundane actions. the romance in the film between 2 imperfect characters feels real and direct, never forcing a situation into the story or making the characters have to embarrassingly contradict themselves or jump in and out of character. speaking of character, this movie has some of the most flawless, well-written characters in cinematic history. shaun is complex, but a simple-identifiable every-man who would go through this situation with a dopey, lovable best friend/stoner/drunk. the love square of shaun, liz, david, and dianne is another perfectly portrayed realistic tragedy, that is explored in very few, yet overwhelmingly powerful scenes.

honestly i cannot say enough good about this film. the foreshadowing, the comedy, the character, the cinematography, the premise, its all near-perfect or perfect. dont be fooled by its "spoof" identity, because this is a brilliant romance, drama, action, horror, comedy. or in master shake's wording, "romactiohorrity".

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I would like to say I think westerns filmed by Americans are pretty much always shit. I was watching High Noon the other day and it was so obnoxiously straightforward it did my head in
    i think i've only watched one western all the way through, but from the bits a pieces i've seen when they play on tv(which i never stick with because of commercials. tcm, the movie channel in the us that doesnt have commercials, never airs westerns for some reason) i'd be inclined to disagree. i've seen some really cool scenes/dialogue exchanges, plus the one i watched all the way through(i think i was called rio grande or something? it starred dean martin and john wayne) was really good.

i cant wrap my head around why some people like shaun of the dead so much. i saw it once when it ran on comedy central and the best i'd say for it is mildly entertaining.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I love Westerns

udaan. one of the best hindi movies ive seen. about a kid who gets expelled from a boarding school and has to return home to an abusive father, who is dead set on turning his disgraceful and insolent 'girl' into a man. it's a very simple premise told remarkably well. unlike other bollywood films which have somewhat sombre stories, it completely eschews melodrama yet still plays with your emotions. it leaves you hanging on the edge of your seat because youre not really sure how its going to end. and the acting. fuck... the acting, especially that of the father, simply blew me away. indian films dont channel the calibre of acting displayed in udaan and it took me entirely by surprise and is probably the biggest reason why a film with a not too overtly complex plot was such a pleasure to watch. good movie. by indian standards, great movie.

watch it if youre indian or a hipster wanting more foreign films to watch and brag about

also ive been seeing a lot of (indian) short films lately. heres two i particularly liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyqTDnRfk9s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtGp3i6TvzU

edit: youtube tags are not working

Shaun of the Dead is Excellent, God.... EXCELLENT. THe other movies by the same creative team have been pretty good too. Hot Fuzz is ALMOST as good as Shaun of the Dead and others by MOSTLY the same group are watchable. Really I value films by their replayability. Their really aren't a lot of movies that I can watch over and over again. Shaun of the Dead is definitely one of them.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Westerns are amazing, even the shitty ones are good. Hell I watch Little House on the Prarie and that's BAD. Watch some oldy but goodies ones, preferably with John Wayne.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Quigley Down Under is pretty good... even if it's not technically a western.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Never seen it.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Tom Selleck and Alan Rickman. So the villain hires this American Sharpshooter to help him take care of an "Animal problem" on his Australian ranch. The animal problem is actually the aborigines... Good guy Tom Selleck doens't like that and hijinks ensue.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

honestly shaun of the dead has no filler. every scene you think is filler actually foreshadows itself for important events in the story. every action has dramatic tension, the acting is so real at times its almost hitting reality, the premise of a man's life being fixed 1 element at a time by zombies was a set up i have never seen, and it honestly worked more than perfectly, if that idea could be established.

i can't think of a negative thing about shaun.

your welcome

50/50. fun movie. comedy about a dude who gets cancer. it's well acted and directed; doesn't overplay the emotions but at the same time doesn't overwhelm you with crass humour that makes the whole "message" trite, which is pleasantly surprising given that it stars seth rogen. really enjoyed watching it.

3:10 to yuma. pretty decent but the ending is WEIRD and ive come to realise im not really a fan of westerns. also excepting the climax its pacing is fairly slow and i got really bored and for a moment considered stopping it and watching it later. russell crowe blew me away and christian bale's great as always. awesome, awesome acting overall; the performances alone make this worth watching.

this movie is the most refreshing movie of 2011, followed by cowboys and aliens. essentially a similar story to kick ass, though played far more serious in tone, and emotionally gripping. the psychological ramifications along with the realistic situation the half-insane cook is going through make it as disturbing as it is hilarious. with a tightly wrapped plot, a wonderful array of main casting, and some scenes that feel just as sad as they do meaningful, this is a must see if you want something that will make you think, cringe, and twist your head confusingly as much as you laugh.

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post

I'm gonna watch this tomorrow now that I know what it is. My girl's family runs a bootleg video game/movie company in the islands and I have all these DVDs with just titles that I don't know what half of them even are.

On that note:

Honestly Real Steel is a HUGELY understated movie and really kept me rooting for the underdogs all throughout. When the credits rolled it left me wanting more. Stelar acting, as usual, from Hugh Jackman who is by far the best actor on the screen currently. There was a great guest star appearance from the X-Men movies too interestingly enough, the actor who played Blob. And that dude that was an asshole in Independence Day was in it too, James Rebhorn.

There were some WTF moments though like the whole open ended AI theme and what not and the whole mechanisms of controlling the robot(s) in general. All and all good movie and would love to see them make a sequel which is a very high possibility.

i like joe gl and all but that other co star is a faggot

hes decent in this

still watching lots of french movies. highlights:

le trou(1960) - the hole. right now would probably make a list of my 10 favorite films. consistently entertaining, likable characters, classic prison breakout story done right. one of the best ending of a film i've ever seen. it's on youtube so everyone should watch it.

hiroshima mon amour(1959) - it's cool to see a film that is just clearly extremely influential. the somewhat vague, nonlinear story incorporating flashbacks, the voice over segments, the camera angles, all hugely influential and original and things which would be imitated endlessly. aside from that it is a good film, but i dont think as good as its reputation implies. then again its rep is huge because of how influential it is. a lot of scenes are really good for awhile but drag on too much. still very much worth seeing. on youtube.

jules et jim(1962) - truffaut. just a cool, interesting story and very well acted. also on youtube.

A bout de souffle(1960) - know as breathless in english. godard. i almost feel like color film ruined godard because he became too preoccupied with doing artistic shit with colors, which admittedly was visually impressive, but to a big detriment in plot and characters. his two black and white films i've seen have been brilliant. also hugely influential and original. when people try to make a "cool" film they usually fail spectacularly, but godard gets it right sometimes and this is one of them. very enjoyable with some legitimately interesting dialogue. on google video.

For God.

is that from big o?

Damn right it is.

that show really needed less fucking robots

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast