Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ELECTION 2012 THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    2012 is the current congressional election. we never fucking care about congress during a super duper presidential debate with all the MTV VH1 political coverage
    Ironically because no one cares about those elections because of the Presidental one, that is when your vote really counts.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Pants saying 2012 isn't an important congressional election ad thus should be forgotten and that 2014 is when the real shit is going down is stupid.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

nope, i'm saying nobody is gonna talk about it when there's a president about to be advertising our country about.

congress is only interesting every mid-presidential-term

your welcome

nope, i'm saying nobody is gonna talk about it when there's a president about to be advertising our country about.

congress is only interesting every mid-presidential-term
    Honestly fewer people care on a midterm election.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Nixon was an ambiguous figure who continued a lot of the same policies of previous administrations but pretended it was some new policy. Just because he visited China it didn't mean the U.S. foreign policy radically changed, for example. He was good at spin. I'm not saying he shouldn't have won, just he should have got more opposition than a complete landslide victory with the opponent only winning Massachusetts.

Again your ignorance on Nixon is appalling. He ended the war in Nam, his visit to China was world changing and arguably the beginning of the fall of the USSR. You down play Nixon too much.

Congress ended the war in Vietnam, but it happened under Nixon's administration. His visit to China is overexaggerated and Nixon's skills in diplomacy are equally overexaggerated.

That's stupid, Nixon ended it. You fail to grasp the magnitude of him, not some diplomat, him going to china after 20 years of isolation.

nixon got our troops out. i dont give a fuck what kind of dishonest thing he did to listen to the democrats in a hotel, he got us out of the dumbest military conflict in history.

your welcome

I don't think your presidents were supposed to spy on political opponents, such being a privilege for Roman empires. And I'm not an expert on your politics, but I was under the impresion that Congress refusing to fund the war led to its end, which may or may not have been helped by Nixon's strategies. You could say that Obama ended the Iraq War in the same light.

internets makes that spying so much easier. facebook is CONSTANT watergate for current political competitors.

your welcome

and no. nixon ordered an entire millitary evac for vietnam. i dont know where you got the whole "funding issue" of the vietnam war from.

your welcome

Oh come off it, internet surveillance does not equate to the physical bugging of a political opponent's headquarters. Or, for that matter, selling arms to both sides in a huge, decade-long war. Besides, it's mainly corporations that are at fault rather than the government, and there's plenty of opposition and coverage of these issues, they're not swept under the carpet, so to speak. And we all know Obama is an arsehole for this kind of stuff and he isn't going to get off just because he's a Democrat and not a Republican.

and no. nixon ordered an entire millitary evac for vietnam. i dont know where you got the whole "funding issue" of the vietnam war from.
    I heard it in a politics textbook somewhere.

http://prospect.org/article/how-cong...nd-vietnam-war

"and used budgetary mechanisms to create pressure on the Pentagon to bring the war to a halt."

This is just from a vague Google search, I am not an authority on this subject.

well funding is a long-term issue. an evac takes place over a few months if that.

as for the physical bugging, its the same, exact thing, just on the internet.

gathering information is the same, whether it be wire tapping, hacking, or background checks.

your welcome

It's not the same thing because the Republican administration under Nixon deliberately targeted political opponents, whereas internet surveillance (I do agree with you that internet surveillance is utterly abhorrent, particularly recent initiatives under the Obama administration) is not targeted towards people likely to beat you in the next election specifically. And wars usually fail if they don't receive long-term funding. The Iraq War was able to sustain itself because the Republican congress were a bunch of sheep, and funded it. So I suppose you could say that Congress was gradually wearing down U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, whereas Nixon ended it in a more symbolic sense.

the iraq war was funded because of revenge. the people helped donate money and were willing to pay more taxes non-objectively because it would be a-patriotic in a time where it meant everything to be in that mindset, no matter how stupid the actions taken would be.

nixon called for immediate evacuation of every GI in Vietnam. funding issues were variable, and it would take longer for the military to run down its resources than an ordered evacuation would take to complete. the war was entirely stupid and pointless for us to even be in, but paranoia based on communism caused america to act idiotically to PROVE it's not communist.

america has always been insecure about its image, and will always be.

your welcome

Registered Users Regular Burner's Avatar

I'm a republican...go Obama.
    Calm yo nipples!

burner, i dont know if you're lost in the concept of politics or you are making a statement to show how utterly awful romney is, because i would believe either.

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    I don't think your presidents were supposed to spy on political opponents, such being a privilege for Roman empires. And I'm not an expert on your politics, but I was under the impresion that Congress refusing to fund the war led to its end, which may or may not have been helped by Nixon's strategies. You could say that Obama ended the Iraq War in the same light.
    Yes, Obama ended the War in Iraq, which was stupid but eh, it's done. And Nixon actually had no hand in the spying, mostly his cabinet being idiots. Nixon's folly was destroying the evidence. All and all he did the honorable thing and stepped down instead of fighting it because actually taking a president down would tarnish America and hurt it more. That's why I never supported the impeachment of Clinton.

exponent sign

your welcome

is good for you

Truly people like Burner will be the deciding factor in this election

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    Yes, Obama ended the War in Iraq, which was stupid but
    what

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_scandal

read it jussy because i'm lazy and it poses our points that it wasn't nixon's orders

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by interim name View Post
    and obama killed osama
    Well he said do it, yes, but most of the intelligence was from Bush's water boarding techniques During his terms.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast