Thread: metal gear solid 4

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default metal gear solid 4

has anyone played this game? i cannot decide whether or not the plot is luringly kafkaesque or overwhelmingly cheesy.

Heart of Gold, Soul of Silver. Midnight the dark Espeon's Avatar

I have actually considered getting a PS3 JUST for this game. It's the only one I haven't played
    Black FC:
    0423 7880 2025

http://pokedream.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15474
    ^Some pretty freaky crap, check it out.
    ~Current avatar (and most of my sig) made by Ed~
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants,_and_the_beast_dwelling_within View Post
    Negr O's! now with marshmallow bling and chicken!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Editor View Post
    I swear allegiance to Midnight, the coolest person ever to grace the internet :D

*withholds his wrath from Kirbx*

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

its cheesy and pretentious as fuck hicky. don't stress yourself thinking about it, because its just a dumb "war will always happen" message.

your welcome

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

"war will always happen" is a good message if executed correctly and with more lurid aspects of warfare added to the gameplay. i like it in fallout 3 because you spend your time battling fucked up mutated arseholes and going into vaults where some sick experiment inevitably failed. i don't in general find killing people on it fun, just sort of disturbing.

on the other hand i hate the way that sort of message carries itself in franchises like Call of Duty, where you're with a bunch of badass guys doing unmistakably cool special operations to overwhelm terrorists and other arseholes who clearly need to die. there's no sense of "why am I doing this?", just a bunch of pre-adolescents being able to use RPGs and silenced pistols when they normally wouldn't in real life

but yeah, I was disappointed by the ending. i was initially impressed by the attention to detail paid with describing why mercenary companies were perpetually at war with one another for no reason, but the end was some sort of Japanese role playing equilibrium which I really didn't like. did I really need to see Xero on life support, or be told finally that I was now free from the shackles of perpetual warfare? disappointing, a JRPG in disguise as a high-tech American social critique

the problem with the message is that its not done in any clever or creative way. its a very, very cliche game when it comes to storytelling, and its definitely the worst aspect of the game. you don't remember solid snake because he's depthful lol

your welcome

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Big Boss's last scene was one of the saddest moments in video games I have ever experienced.

boss's last scene in 3 was sadder

your welcome

Well, I haven't played mgs3

Scratch that, I have. I remember now that I played the first couple hours of it.

the 3rd is easily the best if you like cinematics and some pretty compelling story.

the 4th is too cheesy and cliche for me to really enjoy it.

your welcome

the 4th was basically an extended tearjerker.