Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Problem With Adult Swim

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default My Problem With Adult Swim

In all honesty they do produce quality shows that are unique and well made. I will also say that they are the reason Family Guy became big to a point that Fox renewed it after a few years; I give them props for that. Finally, they gave anime to a country that needed something more in life, and for that I will forever thank them. But, something has been bugging me for the past few years about Adult Swim that I haven't been able to put my finger on until now; late night Adult Swim on the weekends anime is not ballzy enough and quite honestly is stale. Granted I understand that there are probably licensing issues and all that stupid stuff, and granted yes anime is not their main focus seeing as they play anime only once a week rather then every night like they used to because they are focusing on original programming; but Adult Swim just plays either bubblegum anime (the generic popular stuff that the masses like such as Full Metal Alchmeist ect.) or the old stuff like Bebop, FLCL, Ghost In The Shell ect.. Now before I continue, I like the oldies, and bubblegum is good now and then but it gets stale and truly I think this is what makes Adult Swim suck hard and makes me not feel that feeling I got when I used to watch it as a kid.

Simply stated, Adult Swim is playing it safe and not taking risks on its anime selection. The Adult Swim today would NEVER take a chance on an anime like FLCL which is arguably the best anime of all time and before Adult Swim took the chance on it not even Japan cared about it. And what of Blue Gender? Wasn't the best anime true but it wasn't that bad and was a major risk to play on Adult Swim in the early 2000s. All that being said it put a good balance on all the awesome going on at once such as the old titles above being played.

So what do I want Adult Swim to do? Honestly they aren't going to give anime more than one night so no use trying to get them to change that. BUT PLEASE pick titles that are out there and not normal. And I don't mean blood and guts or magic alien monsters blah blah blah, but rather SOMETHING different and stick to it. Like BECK would have been a great anime to play on Adult Swim is one example.

So yes, this is my problem with Adult Swim.

What do you guys feel and what amines do you think old or new that would fix this rift in Adult Swim?

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Bleach is straight terrible and so is that lame anime where those kids see spirits and shit blah blah blah, titles like this are what makes anime suck so much.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

take it to the anime forum lad

Any live action adult swim show isn't worth watching.

I agree Kirby. And rayne this is not explicitly about anime, it's about the buisness practices of Adult Swim.

Also Deadman Wonderland is alright but too angry and over dramatic.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

deadman wonderland and fullmetal alchemist are honestly the only 2 things worth watching on toonami right now, and even deadman suffers from lack of focus.

adult swim's problem for me stems from their scarce amounts of current oddity. they are the nickelodeon of adult post prime programming, and they are expected to have strange things that have bizarre set-ups, characters, situations, and overall purposes, but they dont seem to have that now. no more tom goes to the mayor, xander, saul of the mole men, etc. they throw crappy re-ran material in order to pull in more demographics because nobody is watching ironicially because of the oversaturation of mainstream programming.

what happenned to space ghost? tim and eric? sea lab 2021? why is there king of the hill? why the fuck is there family person and american man where my actually creative shows should be going? (albiet i actually really like american dad as mainstream, but you get my point)

as for anime, my favorite anime ever made is fullmetal alchemist (original anime adaptation) because it took risks to set itself apart from its manga. it gave the viewer a well-paced story with heartful characters and a believable premise inside a very well-conceived atmosphere. i really enjoyed it from beginning to end, but now they run retarded kiddy programming like bleach and casshern sins alongside very adult shows like deadman wonderland and cowboy bebop, splitting the focus and forgetting who the audience is, especially when casshern is shallow and entirely childishly written i comparison to the very adult and very richly written cowboy bebop.

its really not hard to understand why adult swim is suffering so badly. thats my 2 cents

your welcome

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

The problem is that they got a new president since the olden days and the new guy hates anime and only puts on shows that will get views, instead of shows that are absolutely amazing.

maybe it was the case adult swim could only be as good as it was for a very short period of time.

i mean back in the day, part of what made it cool was that the first two hours were family guy and futurama; this is when both of those shows had been cancelled, before comedy central ran futurama reruns all the time, and this was the ONLY place you would watch either of those shows. so for a good 2 years they could rerun the same episodes from their original runs and not get stale.

and then there's anime. how much good anime is there nowadays? in 2002 cowboy bebop and trigun weren't THAT old, flcl had basically just come out. as far as bubblegum animes go inuyasha is up there so they were able to throw that sort of flavor in. if they really wanted to run a good number of animes what do they have to chose from without reairing what they've already ran for years? true, beck would have been a great choice, so would eden of the east. but you've got, what 6 months of traction out of those shows? what do they do for the other 7 years since they've last been good? the anime being produced from japan just isn't on the level for them to be able to license enough consistently good shows.

and their original programming: it's not their fault but most of it has just gotten bad. newer episodes of aqua teen hunger force suck for example. tim and eric show, steve brule etc are awesome, but their other original programming is just bad and they have SO much of it now.

i mean their thing used to be: cancelled cartoons from fox --> anime --> original cartoons.

the cancelled shows from fox are really just boring to watch now, because they've come back on the air elsewhere, the new episodes arent that great, and the old episodes have been rerun a million times since 2003 or whenever adult swim started to do it. so a prominent segment of their programming is just stale.

the anime, the volume just isn't there from japan. they could have had period of time of 6 months or show where they picked out good shows to run but that's temporary. how could they have put on a good, fresh anime programming block consistently over the past 7 years?

their original block is the least of their problems really. they could have had stuff like tim and eric, metalacolypse, etc. they'd have no shortage of finding good original programing if they didnt chose stupid shit to run. but they have and they run WAAAY too much of it.

so yeah a lot of it isn't their fault, a lot of it is. at the end of the day it's probably never going to be good again no matter what.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Deadman Wonderland suffers from shitty dubbing. Like holy shit, I have never been more disappointed by a dub.

And Pants, what's your opinion on FMA: Brotherhood, then?

You know what would've been a good anime to air? Monster. 70+ episodes and one of the best character-driven animes I've seen.

Too bad SciFi picked it up first.

brotherhood is ok, but its problem comes from the same problem every other anime that pulls EVERYTHING right from the manga: the pacing and focus are split up in the story.

in the manga, its made to be read at the reader's pace, and characters can be thrown in to further the situations because readers can essentially forget them easier than if an entire scene in a movie or show portrayed them.

brotherhood didn't have alot of the focused magic that the original anime had, and it felt very forced sometimes. i also dont like the addition of the political matters of the asian country. they dont go very well in the brother's journey story, and there was no real purpose in it at all besides putting greed in the prince's body.

its a good anime if not great, but its just not as straightforward or well written as the original anime adaptation imo.

your welcome

i've just never been able to get over my antipathy for fma because in like 2006 it was THE anime to like and i was from the 'generation' where bebop was THE anime to like. for what its worth bebop IS definitely a lot better.

cowboy is wonderful, i agree, but fma simply has a simpler, more emotionally focused story. in bebop, you focus on a ton of different situations, they usually explore them for the legnth of an episode, and never bring them back up again, as if you were supposed to reeeeally become invested in that scene to the point that you will remember it.

they both pop up in my favorites to this day though, along with paranoia agent.

your welcome

I agree with the fact that adult swim doesn't take risks as it did and it sucks that the head honcho doesn't favor anime all that much. Hell we can see that since they are now putting most of their effort into their own shows like loiter squad, metal, aqua teen and squidbillies while riding on the success of American Dad and Family Guy. I miss most of the old anime that they dished out. Bleach is stupid and your not going to convince me other wise but for Fullmetal it wasn't bad....the first time watching though it. Kinda tired of seeing that adultswim will finish a series but go through it all over again for maybe some reason with one of them being that they have nothing else to put on.

Now as for the new toonami;
    Deadman wonder land- I can live with the english dub for now.
    FullMetal- meh,
    Cassern sins- I like it, I don't love it, but I like it.

and the others I don't mind ether. With that said I'm not as excited to see toonami as i used too in earlier years. Put The english dub of Panty and Stocking on there and it should get peoples attention, think thats risky enough.

A couple years ago Adult Swim showed Moribito. That show was pretty good but there was literally no marketing for it and so they took it off because AS is retarded. They even had a bump that read "Who cares about this show, no one will see it anyway."

Beautiful animation by Production I.G., awesome fight scenes, and some good characters. Way better than Bleach.

casshern is the worst anime i have ever seen. bar none.

here's the major problem i have with it:

it expects the audience to believe too many dumb things.

1. smaller, more wide-eyed innocent robots are immediately supposed to both be considered the good guys and make sense as beings in their own environment in comparison to the big, lumbering, hulking robots.

they act as though they all don't want the same thing, which is to not be harmed by rust (which we'll get to in a sec), and that the audience should be surprised when a smaller robot attacks casshern for its own survival.

this can directly be applied to episode 4, where a murderous, insane pink-haired robot girl goes out and chops about 6 bigger robots to pieces, and fights a big, lumbering robot, and almost loses. for all i'm concerned, she's the evil one, and she shouldn't be looked on with any sort of sympathy.

as for even making sense... why would a manufacturing company make families of robots? clothes for robots? hair? different sizes for the same generic kinds of manufacturing robots? different voices? none of these are answered or make sense.

2. casshern is invincible, and enemies are manufactured.

this takes away all the tension in his fight scenes. when there's nothing at risk, the enemies are replaceable, rebuildable, and entirely incompetent, the action is tension-less and boring, without any purpose besides flashy explosions and robots being destroyed.

3. rust!?

ok, so in episode 2, it is explained that "the ruin" is simple oxidation. the act of oxygen on any base transition metal. the show expects us to believe that over the hundreds and possibly thousands of years of technological advancements there has never been an instance of rust on any metal?! even so, how would they attribute it to the act of a single person? in fact, who named the ruin? how did the people breathe if rust never happened to any metal, implying the nonexistence of oxygen? there are so many problems with this idea, and the thought of using it as the indefinite plot device that its utterly mind boggling.

those are just some of my many complaints with this horrid, horrid series.

your welcome

I actually have been considering watching this due to its sheer ridiculousness but have been turned off by the animation style. Reminds me of Big O, I'll check it out. An rust is obviously an allegory I sorts.

an allegory that doesn't make any sense because the setting is apparently earth and the people who aren't robots are humans. if you're gonna write an allegory or parable, have something that makes sense within the media you present it you fucking horrible writers at tatsunoko.

your welcome

That sounds like a cool anime.

you'd love it kirboy

your welcome

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    A couple years ago Adult Swim showed Moribito. That show was pretty good but there was literally no marketing for it and so they took it off because AS is retarded. They even had a bump that read "Who cares about this show, no one will see it anyway."

Beautiful animation by Production I.G., awesome fight scenes, and some good characters. Way better than Bleach.
    pokegun went on and on about that when it came up so I gave that a chance and I really liked it. AS is retarted for removing it.

on the hand of casshern sins I like but I don't love it since my main issue is this;

It's GENERIC.

Think about it, it has all the basics of an anime but in a shitty fashion. Tho I will stick around to see dafaq is going on and not looking it up like i used to. One reason why toonami was put down because everyone went online to see whatever anime they were following.

its not just generic. its insulting to the audience of deadman wonderland, and its insulting to any audience that watches it.

your welcome

I think the reason I don't hate it is because deadman comes on right before hand. Maybe my fulfillment carries over from after deadman is done and it allows me to sit through cashern.

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

From what I have heard, Toonami is broke as hell and that that's the reason why they can't get any more anime right now. Whatever. The problem is with me is that most of the shows don't grab my attention. Ok, I like FMA. Used to read the manga and light novels, and its one of the only shonen that has great characters and an coherent storyline.

GITS, while I do like it, has been on there for hellas. I like the concept, even though a lot of people say its boring. Another show I used to watch occasionly.

Deadman Wonderland... Ok, I don't have much to say about the show. It seems somewhat cool to me. What I can't stand is Bleach. Jesus, the anime has already ended in Japan and the damn manga is too long, a sign that Tite Kubo has problems summing up a story, manga no less.

And yes, pichubro, Monster needs to reair. I didn't ever get the chance to see it on SciFi, another channel that went down the drain, and not just because they removed some cool anime.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

i will praise FMA the original anime all fucking day, but i'm really, really dissappointed in the AS toonami block. they still have rights to gundam, yuyu hakusho, trigun, and even lupin III for gods sakes. why are they showing "cleaning solvent: the attack of the billion pointless characters" over good shit?

your welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast