Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Windup Bird Chronicle

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default The Windup Bird Chronicle

Does anyone know where to find the English translation of the two missing chapters of The Windup Bird Chronicle and what is the correct chapter order in Vol. 2 of the book.

Also, why the fuck would that douche bag of a translator screw this up?

DAMN YOU JAY RUBIN!!!!

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

thats odd. since i never noticed i imagine its not too important.

Well you know me, I need to have it all. Search!!!

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

since ass lover didnt translate it the best you could probably do is find it in japanese and then translate it yourself. give me a couple months.

Some one HAD to have done it for us. And WHY didn't he translate all of it? Furthermore, why reorder the chapters in Vol. 2? What is the real order?

Done Vol. 1. Really don't see how the book really parallels the theme of my published paper God.

May is my favorite character so far though.

pay attention to his wife's brother

Please don't tell me his whole disposition of being a ghost and not having any footing or position in one thing or another but rather says one thing today only to counter it another day when ever he sees fit thus showing the shallowness of the modernized Japanese society thereby showing the issue of lost sense self in Japanese contemporary culture? Cause' if so, eh. I mean I COULD twist it but it IS a bit of a stretch for my paper, and it is kind of counter intuitive to my argument because I claim this lost sense of self came about after the 90s bubble and this book takes place in the 80s. BUT it was written in 1994 so one could say Murakami was at the pulse of this issue from the start, but still.

Thoughts.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Wait, the Murakami novel?

Also it's like the Star Wars Machete Order. It's better if you cut out some stuff, and reorder it.

Yes the fuckin' novel, what the fuck else? And I am a fervent believer of not fucking with an author's work, period.

You seem very irate right now, Doger. This level of irritation is probably not good for your blood pressure.

So I have to read Vol.2 in the fucked up order AND with missing chapters? Thanks PD.

TRANSLATING MURAKAMI

The following is an email roundtable conducted from Dec. 18, 2000 to January 18, 2001.

The participants were:

Philip Gabriel, Murakami translator and professor of Japanese literature at the University of Arizona in Tucson.

Jay Rubin, Murakami translator and pprofessor of Japanese literature at Harvard University.

Gary Fisketjon, editor at Alfred A. Knopf.

Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2000 8:43 PM
    To: Gary Fisketjon; Philip Gabriel
    Subject: Re: An email roundtable: Translating Murakami

The cutting done on WIND-UP is a complex matter. The more you look into it and into the question of revision, the more you realize there is no single authoritative version of ANY Murakami work: he tinkers with everything long after it first finds its way into print. I once heard that Willem de Kooning would occasionally follow a painting of his to the gallery and revise it on the wall, and Murakami's willingness to fix his stuff reminds me of that.

I did virtually all the cutting on WIND-UP, but I would have done none at all if Knopf hadn't told Haruki that the book was too long and would have to be cut by some number of words (I think it was around 25,000 words). Afraid that they would hire some freelancer who could wreak havoc on the novel, and filled with a megalomaniac certainty that I knew every word in the book--maybe better than the author himself--after having translated all three hefty volumes, I decided to forestall the horror by submitting my manuscript in two versions: complete, and cut. Knopf took my cut version pretty much as is (which no doubt saved them a lot of work and expense; like Phil, I was not recognized as an editor in anything other than the notice in the front of the book).

Having recently completed Book 3, Haruki felt incapable of cutting that, but he had enough distance from Books 1 and 2 to mark many passages for elimination--many SHORT passages that didn't add up to much in terms of word count. I included most--BUT NOT ALL--of his cuts as part of my cut version (in some, I thought he had taken out important passages), and of course sent the entire cut version to him. Later, when the paperback version of the Japanese text appeared, I found that Haruki had incorporated into that many--BUT NOT ALL-- of the cuts he had suggested for the translation, so the hard cover and paperback versions in Japanese are different from each other.

(For example, there is no reference to the illustrator Tony Takitani, a character from an earlier Murakami story, in either the translation or the Japanese paperback. Obviously, Haruki had enjoyed throwing the name in as an in-joke, then thought better of it during the process of revising for the cut translation, which he then carried over into the paperback.) Haruki did NOT, however, adopt the large cuts made for the translation into the Japanese paperback, though I have not done a systematic comparison of the two. Another different text is the British version from Harvill, which has British spellings and expressions. An energetic graduate student could have a field day tracking down all these differences, though it would probably be a waste of time. I do think, though, that if THE WIND-UP BIRD CHRONICLE outlives its time and becomes part of the canon fifty years from now, a re-translation will be needed, and scholars can have a fine time screaming about how Jay Rubin utterly butchered the text.

As for Japanese editors, you're right, Phil, they don't edit-not the way Knopf and The New Yorker do.

About the student's finding whole chapters missing from the translation of WIND-UP BIRD. It's true. I felt that Book 3, which came out a year after Books 1 and 2, rendered much of the ending of Book 2 irrelevant, thought that, as long as major cutting was being required by the American publisher, that part of the book was the best candidate for cutting. I still think the translation is tighter and cleaner than the original, but I suppose that very tightness can be viewed as a distortion of the original, an Americanization of a Japanese work of art. I had a great time doing it, though. It turned out to be a MUCH more complex process than I had imagined, and I'd probably have trouble myself now trying to reconstruct the steps I went through.

Shut up, shut up , shut the FUCK UP JAY RUBIN!

I really do like May.

THANK YOU May Kasahara, you made reading this book not a complete waste of my time. (Honestly I don't think it's a great book; the story is interesting but other than that no biggy.)

Page 261: Mr.WUB-"I wonder.......[whole speech]...." (Talks about creating a new sense of self.)

Page 261-262: May Kasahara-"Hey, I'm still a kid......[whole speech onto next page]..." (Shows the silliness in this idea of letting go of the past and creating a new self in the future.)

Last paragraph on Page 262: "The person, this self, this me, was made somewhere else. Everything had come from somewhere else, and it would all go somewhere else. I was nothing but a pathway for the person known as me." (Thus the turmoil in modern Japanese society is shown in Murakami's writing blah blah blah and to recreate a senseof who they are they tour places of heritage and nature as well as areas of constructed foreignness blah blah blah....)

300 pages in and all I have is less than 1 1/2 pages that I perceive as remotely close to my argument and the sad thing is I will write at most half a page of text throughout the paper using Murakami as an example.

300 pages left to go.

Cig and bedtime.

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

learn japanese dogar. its easier than putting up with shitty faggot translators

your welcome

dogar relates the most with the teenage girl, big surprise

have you gotten to the part about world war 2 yet?

I don't relate to May, I like her character more than any of the other ones. And I will say this, Murakami sure does make me feel that putrid sinking feeling that Mr.WUB feels when he is near his wife's brother. I hate that guy. And yeah I heard the old mans story up till the letter he wrote in thanks but that wasn't WWII. There is more war stories I assume then?

i dont remember exactly what you're referring to, but yeah i think the big war story is yet to come. if you haven't read the one where he's in a well yet.

Yeah old man Hondas friend, that was in the 30s though and not WWII, the well story took place in 37-9. What about it? It was a decent narrative but eh. I may be able to use his feeling of being dead after that and feeling like a shell after he came back from the interment camp as an alagory of losing the sense of self after USA occupation and either he adapted to the modem era or be lost, he chose the latter.

i dunno how relevant it is, i'd have to read and think about it again, but just trying to feel how far you are into the story. and im pretty sure it was ww2, i remember him talking about how the soviets were closing in on manchuria.

might be another story from the book

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast