Thread: Punk thread

Man Of All Things Merry buckweat's Avatar

Default Punk thread

because RC doesn't listen to enough new punk and i don't listen to enough old punk

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    get out of my way kirby, i've got gulags to build.

i know im a big proponent of the ideal that the quality of music is subjective but punk is probably the closest thing to an objectively terrible genre

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    i know im a big proponent of the ideal that the quality of music is subjective but punk is probably the closest thing to an objectively terrible genre
    dubstep

your welcome

heavy metal is the only genre i have absolutely no appreciation for

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Dubstep is really good. Punk is okay.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

certain heavy metal songs are really great melodically

if i had a horse for every time i heard that, i'd have 2 horse Pants's Avatar

i don't like dubstep as a genre because of its immediate over-saturation in sampled musics and failure to use any level of musical theory to its overall advantage. it tells no story, has no point, uses the same samples over and over, the same over-phased bass along with fast and repetitive drums, along with annoying sounds and predictable fades and builds to convince the audience that it has some composing depth, when it really doesn't.

this is all an opinion, but at least i wrote it out.

your welcome

I could very easily see why people say punk is objectively terrible. TBH a lot of it is more of an ideology than anything. There are certain punk bands that are absolutely incredible musically. The Clash being a good example. Even better example, though not strictly punk, is Streetlight Manifesto:

God and Dogar just hate all popular genres because there are subcultures attached to them. I'm fairly certain if there was a cult of teenagers devoted to Bob Dylan they would be saying how he was the worst folk musician ever.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein

RC what are your thoughts on Streetlight?

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

heavy metal is the only genre i have absolutely no appreciation for
    Fucking agreed, ALL the damn way.
    Pairs:
    Eve
    Fallen Wings
    Atomika

http://digi-geek.tumblr.com/

Originally heavy metal was confined to Deep Purple and Black Sabbath kinda stuff, then folks like The Scorpions, Def Leppard and Kiss turned it into radio rock essentially. That in turn spawned both the hardcore punk and thrash metal genres in a form of musical protest against the flashy glam bands. Punk did it with overly simplistic and noisy songs, purposely excluding things like solos and making every song super short. Thrash and its many successors did it through savagery and technical superiority. Both were angry and both would get you in trouble with mom so the kids ate it up. They're kind of like brother genres even though they're at opposite sides of the rock spectrum.

The one glaring exemption to this being Iron Maiden though who predated many of the glam metal bands, never cashed in or sold themselves short, continued to do their own thing in the face of hardening competition and membership changes, and is still putting out albums of pure gold today.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Time Enough For Love, by Robert Heinlein