Thread: whats UP pd

Default whats UP pd

how is everyone doing

holy shit

this is legitimately scary. megaupload is one thing but cracking down on a site like demonoid sets a whole new precedent.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

I hate it when governments force websites to shut down like this.

what authority do they truly have to do this? the internet belongs to the world.

a lot has changed online this past year, torrent sites are voluntarily shutting down and cyberlockers are restricting downloads to personal files only. obviously nobody wants what's happened to tpb, megaupload and now demonoid to happen to them.

from the torrentfreak article comments

Many of you kids really are naive. Copyright holders do have a right to protect their creations and decide if they want to "give it away free". When people copy their work and place it up on a server for everyone to download, then this choice is removed. People here like talking about an "open" and "free" Internet, but what about the person who had the decision to give their work away for free forced upon them? Why is it that copyright holders have to lose their rights so that you can have what you feel is yours?
    I don't agree with the US Government being granted the ability to censor the Internet: let's face it, Congress is a broken and corrupt institution. But I don't agree with this self centered mentality that prompts many of you to believe that you should be able to download everything for free either. And it is this continued naivety that will provide fuel for the powers that be in Washington to further their grabs at power.
    hate to say it but i dont disagree

the only solution to this is to set up a worldwide service that allows consumers to purchase and rent media content at reasonable prices with no hassle. it wouldnt eliminate piracy but it would give pirates less of a reason to download off illegal file sharing sites. the problem is that the media industry is so fragmented and so steeped in the distribution patterns of the 20th century that they will never be able to adapt to the internet on their own prerogative and have become far too big for anyone to force them to, least of all the american government.

If there's anything that decreases piracy, it is a streamlined, easy-to-use service like you said Rayne. With the advent of Steam and Origin, game piracy has decreased; not only are games frequently put on sale, you can share the service with friends and have a nice community. iTunes and Zune store does much the same for music, though some people are not fans of such software; and there's not a 'community' as there is with games.

The movie and art industries need to find similar ways to attract people while still making profit. Hollywood basically needs an online version of Redbox. Perhaps they should release movies online after they leave theaters but before they go on DVD. therefore, people can watch the movie cheaper, but if they want special features they can wait for the physical copy. I think that idea has potential.

most online music stores arent available across the world and those that are (like nokia's) suck. therein lies the problem.

Ouch, that is a problem.

That's another thing that needs to go, 'regional internet'. What do you mean I can't watch the Olympics livestream without tricking the server that I'm accessing it from the UK?

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

i have a headache from a girl i'm involved with
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

on the other hand it's times like this i'm happy with my ELITE TRACKER MEMBERSHIPS
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

I'm swamped with college work.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

what do you have?

Subjects?

Embedded Computer Systems
    Programming the Web
    Java and J2EE
    C# and .NET
    Software Architecture
    Object Oriented Modeling and Design
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

plus two labs
    Originally made by LM:

damn thats a lot

Ikr? That's basically why I'm hardly online these days and I post so lazily.
    Originally made by LM:

i am currently getting all dressed up ready to go to town with some friends going to drink myself silly with cocktails!

Eating instant pasta in front of the computer.
    Originally made by LM:

in the hearts and souls and minds of mortals

i just got the kids off to school. gonna play on the internets for a while then settle down and read a good book

DON'T PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH! IT WAS MADE IN CHINA!!!- Alora Owens: Age 6

as soon as I was about to post I got raped... -Kirby: Age... whatever