Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: post inventions that aren't as prevalent as they should be

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I'm sure this could be worked on. If more attention was put towards airships, I'm sure we could improve everything about them. Ever.
    Why would we even put attention towards airships when they're terribly inefficient, slow as all hell, and can carry very few passengers compared to an actual aeroplane? It's pretty obvious that it would be a poor investment when aeroplanes are superior in every other way. Let's not try to go technologically backwards

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Why would we even put attention towards airships when they're terribly inefficient, slow as all hell, and can carry very few passengers compared to an actual aeroplane? It's pretty obvious that it would be a poor investment when aeroplanes are superior in every other way. Let's not try to go technologically backwards
    They're inefficient because no one puts attention into them.

Besides, airplanes are just cramped and annoying.

If your thinking about passenger transport your not seeing things to there fullest ability. Zeppelins can carry good across the globe easily and at a decent pace. Goods, unless its a perishable food, don't need to get to a location ASAP, so its ok if it takes a few days to get there, at a pretty low cost. Zeppelins, if invested correctly, could easily take over cargo carriers in that respect.

airplanes are cramped because airline companies want to squeeze every possible buck out of travellers by pushing as many of them into the cabin as possible. if airships became a popular mode of transport then you can certainly bet that they'll be every bit as cramped as airplanes are.

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    If your thinking about passenger transport your not seeing things to there fullest ability. Zeppelins can carry good across the globe easily and at a decent pace. Goods, unless its a perishable food, don't need to get to a location ASAP, so its ok if it takes a few days to get there, at a pretty low cost.
    They COULD do that, but you're not really making sense when there is already a faster and more efficient mode of delivering things. It would not only be wholly unnecessary, it would be counter intuitive

is good for you

"Hey guys, we COULD use horses as a mode of short distance travel, so therefore we should!"

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Has it ever occurred to you Celery that people would maybe like to ride zeppelins as a luxury vehicle. Like when people ride cruise ships or hot air balloons.

They COULD do that, but you're not really making sense when there is already a faster and more efficient mode of delivering things. It would not only be wholly unnecessary, it would be counter intuitive
    Sending cargo via gigantic boats that need to half of there space just to carry the oil needed for one trip isn't exactly the most efficient bro. And Zeppelins are just as fast as them.

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Has it ever occurred to you Celery that people would maybe like to ride zeppelins as a luxury vehicle. Like when people ride cruise ships or hot air balloons.
    They have that already

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Sending cargo via gigantic boats that need to half of there space just to carry the oil needed for one trip isn't exactly the most efficient bro. And Zeppelins are just as fast as them.
    When you factor in the atrocious carrying capacity of airships in comparison to shipping via sea, it would take a whole fleet of airships to compete with one boat

i think its safe to say THIS is the most contentious argument on pd in the past 24 hours

A whole fleet of airships is still better than a cargo carrier.

is good for you

I mean, seriously, one Zeppelin NT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_NT) can carry 1,900 kilograms, while an average cargo ship can carry 45,000,000 kilograms. There is no contest. You are going to need 2,400 airships to compete with ONE boat

Interesting, unless my sources are wrong, the Hindenburg could carry 170 tons, compared to the 500 tons for a regular carrier, so like 3 Hindenburgs.

I don't think those ships are made to carry cargo.

is good for you

In "tons" average cargo ships can carry 40,000

is good for you

I think i did some math wrong somewhere. Whatever, someone will catch it

I mean, seriously, one Zeppelin NT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_NT) can carry 1,900 kilograms, while an average cargo ship can carry 45,000,000 kilograms. There is no contest. You are going to need 2,400 airships to compete with ONE boat
    24,000 actually

assuming your numbers are correct that is

also wikipedia tells me the hindenburg could carry a load of 10,000 kg so that makes 4500 hindenburgs for one cargo ship according to celery's numbers

as cargo ships, they seem useless, but i like pichubro's idea of luxury ships. i would definitely choose an airship over a cruise, and these days i'd trust science and scientists more and wouldn't worry about any more crashes than airplanes. imagine being on like an air deck looking out across the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    also wikipedia tells me the hindenburg could carry a load of 10,000 kg so that makes 4500 hindenburgs for one cargo ship according to celery's numbers
    oh well

airships would be so much cooler than planes, yes

Quote Originally Posted by stiles View Post
    as cargo ships, they seem useless, but i like pichubro's idea of luxury ships. i would definitely choose an airship over a cruise, and these days i'd trust science and scientists more and wouldn't worry about any more crashes than airplanes. imagine being on like an air deck looking out across the sky?
    airship cruises do exist and they arent cheap

is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by stiles View Post
    As a luxury kind of thing, sure, it would be a pretty cool experience. But yeah, there is not much economical practicality for them

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    airship cruises do exist and they arent cheap
    http://www.airshipventures.com/fly-with-us

Cheaper than some flights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast