Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Qooooooooorl

Okay, read through it completely. It's quite interesting, a few things though. Players are generally stupid. They'll do dumb things...even if they aren't actually stupid, once they get into character the average party is going to have one person who's a complete idiot. If you've been running them on stuff this dangerous and they know the drill though, that shouldn't be much of a problem. Second, I'd consider throwing in a few more monsters for them to fight, I'm thinking around three. I'd have to read again before I can suggest exactly what and where. Party level really needs to be about 6 for them to stand a real chance unless you have a really diverse group that is VERY cautious. This isn't Tomb of Horrors bad but it is pretty fatal. I think the whole thing sounds great though. Just make sure your players have an idea how dangerous things good be. Is this going to be just a single session deal or part of a larger campaign, I could see several things to do with this if it is. If they decide to free the nascent thing at the end, then I see the campaign beginning to look a lot like God of War (or more appropriately, the How It Should Have Ended for God of War, Watch it now if you haven't.) where the gods start sending agents to punish the characters and or enlist them to fix their mistake.

Nice work overall though!
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

It's mostly supposed to be a plug-and-chug dungeon that you can fit in a single session. I agree with the monster thing too, perhaps I could use the combat encounters to clue in the PCs about whatever's ahead. I was also thinking of toning down the Mohrg and Kyton by a couple CRs each simply because the latter is significantly less avoidable and the former is probably going to be released by some nitwit. I do want the Mohrg to be deadly though, just not ridiculous. Enough that the PCs will exchange blows and realize they should probably try something other than a frontal assault.

I basically designed the place to kill the PCs if they don't get their act together because my group is having trouble with cohesiveness. It's supposed to be a dungeon where every encounter gave fair warning that they needed to think about what was going on. I also wanted a big reward at the end regardless of what they chose to do and the opportunity to use it as campaign fodder without making it obligatory. Now I feel like I'm trying to justify bad game design choices though

You were right about ToH though, mainly because a good half of my entire RPG experience has been in that dungeon in some form or another thanks to my challenge-obsessed veteran friends.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

No, if your plan is for them to get their act together or die, sort of an rpg boot camp, a few monsters and maybe a bit more treasure should make it nearly perfect for what you want. Getting stuff, propels some players a lot more than things like plot. We had a campaign where the guy running was so stingy with equipment we ended up repeatedly making new characters so we could start with equipment on par with our level. It was an incredibly difficult game and most everyone was still learning the system but it was probably the longest running campaign we've ever done.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

Ah another little boon about the way it's set up and the deadliness of it. Once you DO kill someone off, they have a pretty good excuse to make an interesting new character, what with the party being trapped in a time traveling extradimensional prison.
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

I'm thinking of adding a few simple encounters in the hallways leading to some of the more dangerous areas, maybe the monsters will drop a note or have an item that tips everyone off in addition to basic loots. I don't like handing out lots of magical equipment though, it's too easy to overpower the characters too quickly. At least before level 7 or so.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire

Quote Originally Posted by Qoorl View Post
    Ah another little boon about the way it's set up and the deadliness of it. Once you DO kill someone off, they have a pretty good excuse to make an interesting new character, what with the party being trapped in a time traveling extradimensional prison.
    That's reason 2. The party I play with, these are the first characters they ever made. They're pretty unimaginative and I can tell they want to do more with them if only they'd put more thought into their creation. I figure if I kill one or two off it'll give them a good reason to make a new, better character for the campaign.

Here I am with my empire

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

NERDSSSSS!!!!

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Here I am with my empire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12