Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: study drugs

Default study drugs

most of you are enrolled in or have been enrolled in some sort of educational institution - whats your opinion on things like adderall/ritalin/etc and their use in school and even the workplace. are they cheating a la performance enhancing drugs in competitive sports or a sometimes necessary enhancement in an ever more competitive and high pressure world?

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I think they're fair game. I don't use them myself, but comparing them to steroid use in sports is a bit faulty, methinks. School is not a "game".

drugs are drugs. some people take caffeine, others use ritalin, and it isn't limited to an academic setting. I know people who would take it for any everyday blue collar job. hell, i've known soldiers who manage their hands on some just to get by from day to day.

that's the beauty about drugs: they have multiple reasons for use, sometimes deadly, but when not abused, can grant wonders!!!!!!!! ;]
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I don't mind people using study drugs but I choose not to for personal reasons.

Not that I abstain from other drugs, just study drugs

well this sucks. i was looking forward to a debate.

My personal motto is that if you need drugs to do something, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

I don't care what other people do however, I just think drugs are stupid personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    well this sucks. i was looking forward to a debate.
    My opposition to study drugs lies in the fact that you shouldn't be making studying into a game to get good grades. Thinking and intellectualizing are things you should learn to do in a normal state of consciousness, not with your synapses misfiring. For the sake of argument I include caffeine and alcohol (?!) in the equation - whilst I do drink coffee to help me study, I shouldn't, theoretically.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    Thinking and intellectualizing are things you should learn to do in a normal state of consciousness, not with your synapses misfiring.
    why

As dim witted as i am i assume the more dependent you become on a substance to intellectualize and get work done the harder it becomes to do so on your own, or maybe your sober critical thinking etc doesn't improve as long as you are using drugs to attain your goals

I don't know if that is true scientifically, but for example, using adderall pretty much everyday one semester and then using none the next really exemplifies why study drugs are a bad idea if you use them on a regular basis

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

How can you judge how smart you really are if you're always on drugs?

well smartness isnt a quantifiable trait so thats a moot point

Btw i don't mean to say they are terrible, just better left to occasion and/or partying

disclaimer: ive only used adderall like 4 times and dont rely on anything other than coffee to power through academics

Quote Originally Posted by stiles View Post
    As dim witted as i am i assume the more dependent you become on a substance to intellectualize and get work done the harder it becomes to do so on your own, or maybe your sober critical thinking etc doesn't improve as long as you are using drugs to attain your goals

I don't know if that is true scientifically, but for example, using adderall pretty much everyday one semester and then using none the next really exemplifies why study drugs are a bad idea if you use them on a regular basis
    Yes, this is what I was trying to say.

why
    Everybody in the past who came up with a theory got by without study drugs. When I overdose on caffeine I feel as if I'm so hyper-stimulated that I can't understand past contexts and past theories in the way they were supposed to be understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicky View Post
    Everybody in the past who came up with a theory got by without study drug
    yeah... not really. off the top of my head, paul erdos (a mathematician so prolific that there exists a number that measures the collaborative output of contemporary mathematicians based on how many papers away they are from him) thought amphetamines were essential to his productivity, and freud famously had an almost fetishistic relationship with cocaine.

When I overdose on caffeine I feel as if I'm so hyper-stimulated that I can't understand past contexts and past theories in the way they were supposed to be understood.
    key word being 'overdose' - also im not sure how your singular anecdote proves that thinking shouldnt be done on stimulants

Quote Originally Posted by stiles View Post
    while i question the veracity of the latter, i generally agree with the first part (given near-constant long term use). though its interesting how everyone is jumping straight to substance abuse instead of assuming reasonable usage.

fun fact: erdos' friends were so concerned about his amphetamine use that they bet him he wouldnt be able to stop for a month. he won the bet but complained that mathematics (not just his output; mathematics) was set back by a month and promptly got right back on the drug.

yeah... not really. off the top of my head, paul erdos (a mathematician so prolific that there exists a number that measures the collaborative output of contemporary mathematicians based on how many papers away they are from him) thought amphetamines were essential to his productivity, and freud famously had an almost fetishistic relationship with cocaine.
    You assumed by 'past' I meant 'the last hundred years' somehow. There was plenty of thought at a fast enough pace before the availability of study drugs.

thats akin to saying 'there was plenty of traveling going on before cars were invented'; its irrelevant to your contention, which was that was the use of drugs is inherently counter-productive to intellectualization.

also 'fast enough' is entirely subjective. it becomes muddier when you consider that advances in civilization are becoming exponentially more complex over time. calculus was at the cutting edge of mathematics and physics 200 years ago - kids now learn it at 16.

I think it comes down to what you value. If you're an English major, getting good grades does not have much stake (unless you're shooting for grad school) as to an engineering or comp sci major. The reality is (gasp) that people value different things, and sometimes to reach their goals they use chemical assistance, at the expense of their less-values smartness.

Also I don't think the drugs cheapen the accomplishment at all. Sometimes when I'm getting writers block writing a song, I go and smoke a bowl. Does that mean I'm only a real comedian when I'm high?

And also, most great thinkers over the last 300 years may not have been hopped up on adderall, but a good bulk of them were entirely dependent on a popular stimulant called caffeine. Outs semantics to argue whether they unlocked their natural potential or "boosted" their normal intellectual capacity.

I would like ti involve myself in this conversation; however, what I want to say has already been said... well, except that the fact that there hasn't been enough (or any at all to be exact) research on drugs and how they improve intelligence.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

leo brings up a good point. theres really no evidence to state that any drug significantly enhances cognitive ability. more often they just reduce fatigue and make you work efficiently for extended periods of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast