Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are message boards declining?

Registered Users Regular TeenageAngst's Avatar
    Mount Cynicism, at the corner of Nobamaland and Itoldyousovia.

CE is still hyperactive. LUE is almost dead due to the lockdown and RI choked on its own social topics. It's still kickng just not nearly as active as it once was. CE won that battle by attrition. As for non-chan boards though, there aren't very many. How I yearn for the halcyon days of the internet, back when you were just a screen name and a personality. I think a lot of it has to do with expanding technology. Back in the day most of us were on slow DSL or dial-up, we weren't expected to watch embedded Youtube videos or load 20,000 image macros at once. Only nerds hung around online too so it was kind of this in-club of those of us willing to spend lonely nights fiddling with technology. Normal people just used email, searched for things, and read Wikipedia. Now any pillock can run a blog, an online business, a forum, a social media account, etc. Like with the Star Wars movies, the limitations of the technology made it cool.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire
    Iíll bring you to your knees
    Ebb and flow with my desire
    Cause its all that youíve been taught to be

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Forums are too much effort. You actually have to have a personality to be good member.

Reddit/similar link aggregation sites? Pun threads, one-liners and reaction gifs. Sure, on reddit there are subreddits that try to be a community like r/GirlGamers and r/MLPLounge but without avatars and repeated social interaction, the sense of a person being behind a discussion is lost. Fact is, sites these days go mainstream rather quickly and with mainstream-ness, the easier it is to be lost in the crowd. Not to mention that once people get on these main stream sites, they hardly ever want to venture out to lesser-known sites.

Also notice how "memes" and "going viral" are now mainstream. The memes are collapsing in on themselves and causing some sort of paradox where things are memes even if they're not memes. I guess this counts as a forced meme. There's sooo damn many. I remember when online memes were like... limecat, cat pictures in general, all your base, animutation, and a few others. I think once rick-rolling cracked the charts it was all down hill from there.
    "I prefer a sane world where you are rewarded by providing people with something they want. Not arbitrarily rewarded in a status game that reminds me of chimpanzees." - nazgulnarsil

Here I am with my empire

People these days automatically call any macro image a "meme". And strangely some popular things from years ago are coming back thanks to Youtube such as Salad Fingers and End of Ze World. Maybe ytmnd will come back from the dead too.

ytmnd built its own coffin when it switched from strictly HTML to javascript. It's not exploitable anymore, it takes forever to load, and it lost all the charm of being the last holdout of web 1.0

Here I am with my empire

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I think there is a certain fear of the internet in the culture of today, in the news you hear wack stories of employers finding your old sites and firing people.

If you Google my name you don't get much but if you Google my "extended" name you get a bunch of dirt on me that for the life of me I can't get rid of because I'm not authorised. Sucks. I just have to drop that gag I guess

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

I remember a time when you could find a message board on anything. Now you can't. I'm sure Usenet is still cool though

is good for you

Message boards are pretty great, I can't imagine myself using the Internet that much without them

A lot of memes aren't even real memes any more, something like "falling bear" dies in a week, and true memes like courage wolf a nearly dead now.

I still see courage wolf from time to time.

Registered Users Regular ElijahWyatt's Avatar

Check out the league of legends forum, or the maplestory forums, or the Grand Chase forums, they are all quite active in general discusion. Most of the time its centered around the game, but that is how forums are being kept alive, through an active interest in discusion going on ABOUT the game that the people are playing. For example leagues forums have so much activity in general discusion that within 30 seconds at high activity your post will be off the front page, and at low activity it'll take a minute or 2 tops.

The reason these kinds of forums are in decline is there is no method of attracting new users, outside of friends asking other friends to come, and there is no incentive to be here, outside of enjoying the discusion and being a part of it. Like in league, threads actually would change the game because the game creaters visited the page all the time, and took feedback from threads that got hugely popular. Also they had an upvote/downvote system that made people feel recognition and support for their ideas and posts.
    "As for me, all i know is that i know nothing"

PD has a similar problem of getting new members...

No, those types of forums DON'T have the problem, when i said THESE i ment, the ones i'm currently on. They have a steady stream of new players, and recurring players always wanting to be kept in the loop about the games goings ons

I think PD is an outlier among small pokemon boards. If you look around you can find plenty of small pokemon boards, almost all of them dead. I even found one on proboards about the same age as PD, and even a similar size at it's peak, but by 2009, it died. It even had a dedicated history, a written narrative of all the mod wars and user feuds. So what happened? I don't know. My opinion is PD is able to hold on because of dedicated members created by the very free and open environment with little to no modding, so ironically, a reason why a lot of people left back in the day, is probably the only reason PD is still alive.

Forums that take your thread off the front page in a matter of minutes is too big. Not worth making a thread in the first place.

Well, it puts it at the front page agian if people comment, and you can bump it back into the front page, plus you can just refresh your own thread in like 2~3 minutes and it will usually have atleast 6 comments, and if its interesting it'll be into 2~3 pages

CE bumps it off the front page in a matter of seconds.

Here I am with my empire

Man Of All Things Merry buckweat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    CE bumps it off the front page in a matter of seconds.
    Unless you're Proudclad, Assaulted_Muffins, Doom_Art, Parappa, or a CEgal
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    get out of my way kirby, i've got gulags to build.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12