Thread: Interesting Exoplanet theory

Default Interesting Exoplanet theory

If you don't know, scientists are finding new planets all the time, interestingly, most of these planets are either super massive hot Jupiters, orbiting very close of their suns, or exoplanets jettisoned from their host stars.

This makes scientists think that the standard model for solar systems starts out like ours, but then the gas giants roam in closer to the sun, knock out the inner planets, out of orbit and proceed to orbit as close to the sun as mercury. This means that the universe is literally littered with planets in deep space, and most solar systems have massive gas giants in their terrestrial zones.

Quite a different picture than that of Star Trek.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

In other news, Jupiter is shrinking.

is good for you

Science rules

Registered Users Regular ElijahWyatt's Avatar

Thats cool, are you saying we should stop looking for life where there is stars, and start looking for evidence of life's past where there are just little pieces of nothing with no self light wandering about the universe? Thats going to be alot harder...
    "As for me, all i know is that i know nothing"

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Statistically, any lie that would develop elsewhere in the universe would most likely be already dead, millions and/or billions of years ahead or behind us, or "alive" in a sense we don't use/comprehend.

Are you saying that if we find one, and its already dead there will be no proof left of its past life?
    Or are you misunderstanding what i said, i said evidence of past life(as in a building, or a frozen atmosphere that has been tampered with , ect.)

But your right, holy shit my nose is bleeding, brb.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I'm saying that, statistically, any life that would develop elsewhere in the universe would most likely be already dead, millions and/or billions of years ahead or behind us, or "alive" in a sense we don't use/comprehend.

There are still plenty of moons that may harbor life, and we have found a few stars like ours with similar solar systems, but that seems to be rare.

Ironically the best place to find life is not a yellow sun like ours, but a red dwarf, red dawfs are much more stable in their orbits and live to be easily 10 billion years old, heck some of the first red dwafs in the universe are still alive today. They comprise about 1% of all stars, but there are a fuck lot of stars.

Remember they have scanned like a dime size area of the sky and found hundred of thousand of planets, so I am sure there is life.

it is pretty crazy how much shit it out there. watch star trek, all that shit they see is i think 99% in one quarter of their galaxy. and theres billions of galaxies.

Yes, we are all specs of specs of specs of sepc ^ 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000 ^10000000000000000000000000000000000000 of dust. compared to the size of the universe.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Science rules