Thread: How to train Pokemon properly?

Registered Users Regular Ninetails's Avatar

Default How to train Pokemon properly?

I've played Pokemon for a few years, only going up to Black/White. I only play LeafGreen and Emerald at the moment. Anyway, I've never trained them right. One of my best friends tries to help me but I just don't understand what "Evetraining (??)" is. I mean I equally level up my Pokemon. Can anyone help?

basically, every time you beat a Pokemon in battle, you gain an ev for a certain stat, for example a Metapod KO gives your Pokemon 2 Defense EVs

these evs can be gathered up to increase the desired states you want your Pokemon to have, so that your Pokemon isn't wasting any investment, so that your Machamp doesn't have useless Special Attack investment for example

for every 4 evs your Pokemon has, your stat at level 100 will go up one more

EVs cap at 510 total evs, with a 255 cap for any particular stat

an example ev spread is 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 HP

so for example, back when I used to train for real, I trained up a Gyarados by fighting a crap load of Machops (attack evs) and Magikarp (speed evs) and like 4 Bidoof (HP) to get a sweeping Gyarados

Registered Users Regular Ninetails's Avatar

Okay, I kind of understand.

EVs raise your Base Stats; just like the Protein (attack), Iron (defense), Zinc(Sp.Defense), Carbos(Speed), Calcium(Sp.Attack), and HP UP(HP). These are known as Vitamins and each of them raise your base stats by giving that particular stat 10 EVs each time. AND the vitamins max out after using 10 in one particular stat (or a 100 EVs in one stat).

A single stat can have the max limit of 255 EV points. And a Pokemon can only have a max of 510 EV points total. (Gen VI EVs for a single stat max out at 252)

And things get a bit more complicated. When your pokemon is at level 100, for each 4 EVs in a particular stat, it adds +1 to that stat. This will give you the edge in competitive battle... that extra speed to outrun your opponent, or that extra bit of defense to take damage and counter with your own attack.

Now for ANOTHER layer. Pokemon have natures. There are a total of 25 natures in the game, and your pokemon can have any one of them. Natures usually raise 1 stat, but hinder another stat. There are 5 natures that are neutral, that is, don't improve or hinder. So when your pokemon reaches Lv 100, that nature will allow a particular stat to grow stronger by 10% and reduce another stat by 10%.

And now... the rabbit hole gets deeper:

IVs!!!! These are different from EVs because you cannot change them. So allow me to explain.
    A particular species of pokemon are programed base stats. That's what pretty much define the species of pokemon, the base stats. So if the above wasn't enough to make your pokemon unique, IVs were implemented. These are called Individual Values. IVs range from 0 - 31 and boost a pokemons stats at lvl 100. Well, each of your pokemons stats have IVs and they are randomly generated when you find a pokemon in the wild. These numbers are what make pokemon even more unique.
    Say, for example, we each own a pikachu. my pikachu may outrun your pikachu, but your pikachu might have higher Attack IV.
    Lets say we both attack the same pokemon. I may out run your pikachu with my quick attack, but your pikachu's quick attack will "naturally" do more damage than mine would.
    -------------------

So now there are many options for me to do. I could train my Pikachu's EVs so that my attack matches your Pikachu's attack, or I could just say screw that I'll work on speed and Sp.Attack.
    And of course, you have free range as well.
    -----------------

To lower your EVs!
    WHAT!? Lower?! Why would anyone want that? let's assume you made a mistake and want to go back. Thankfully you have berries.

Pomege -- HP (-10EV)
    Kelepsy -- ATK (-10EV)
    Qualot -- DEF (-10EV)
    Hondew -- Sp.ATK (-10EV)
    Grepa -- Sp.DEF (-10EV)
    Tamato -- Speed (-10EV)

anyway, i'll stop here since there is a shit ton to go on about. i hope this helps.... and i know i reiterated what kirbs said.
    ;]
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]