Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is executing a person immoral but ethical?

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default Is executing a person immoral but ethical?

Seeing as we are talking about right and wrong on PD...what do you guys think?

Is executing a person immoral but ethical?

More specifically, in relation to Kant but hey I'll take what I can get from you guys.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Overall for one time murders or for people that may have been off their meds or in a psychotic breakdown, no, I do not feel they need to be killed, even if it was planned before hand, if its just one guy, I can live with him dieing in prison.

However in cases of serial killers or people that are just plain nuts and like eat the people they kill, they can literally have no positive contribution or society at all, they are put into solidary where they smear their shit on the wall. At least the one time murder can sit around in jail and play cards talking about his life for crime. The person that is that nuts should just be put down.

As a whole though, do you believe executing a man, for whatever reason, is immoral or moral?

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

I don't really have one opinion on it, I think it varies from case to case.

Overall though, I think it is ok if the circumstances permit its need.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Euthanasia is okay. Sentencing someone to death for murdering people just seems hypocritical, like you're plunging yourself down to their level.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

a death for a death leaves the whole world dead

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

Yeah there is no real reason to sentence anyone to death, especially since our justice system is not perfect and the innocent sometimes get sent to jail. If someone were resisting arrest or causing a threat to the people around them, we should try and not kill them but sometimes it's the only option.

i want to say there should never be a death penalty, but i also think it would be okay if reserved for truly gruesome situations. stuff like dozens of killings in bizarre and sick ways and premeditated. not just for killing someone.

Hang em High!
    JOIN AN RP YOU SLACKERS!

there isnt a big enough difference between 'ethics' and 'morals' to make this a not dumb question

I disagree with you on this one Rayne, I agree with Kant that there is a difference.

In my opinion, taking another man's life is immoral. Taking a man's life COULD be ETHICAL though depending on the situation, it's all subjective. So, execution is immoral but it could be ethical in my opinion and I believe Kant would agree as well. Just wanted to see if any of you guys knew the difference between the two on philosophical grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Qoorl View Post
    Hang em High!
    And I agree, some people should just die.

dogar i dont think anyone else here has read kant over the last few weeks if ever. if we are to have a conversation, we must agree on definitions!

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    dogar i dont think anyone else here has read kant over the last few weeks if ever. if we are to have a conversation, we must agree on definitions!
    I agree Plato. I guess I hoped too much in this thread. I wish more people read philosophy on PD.

Man Of All Things Merry buckweat's Avatar

i'd say it's immoral and unethical
    get out of my way kirby, i've got gulags to build.

And you have every right to say that. I just believe that some people deserve to die.

in revolutions for example some people may have to die for political necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    I disagree with you on this one Rayne, I agree with Kant that there is a difference.

In my opinion, taking another man's life is immoral. Taking a man's life COULD be ETHICAL though depending on the situation, it's all subjective. So, execution is immoral but it could be ethical in my opinion and I believe Kant would agree as well. Just wanted to see if any of you guys knew the difference between the two on philosophical grounds.
    both morality and ethics are subjective

I disagree, I agree with Kant that morality is pure reason governed by categorical imperatives as ethics are practical reason that are hypothetical imperatives.

in revolutions for example some people may have to die for political necessity
    Or in wars in general people must kill to stay alive.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

I agree with cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    I agree with cunt
    lu

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Kantian ethics dictates you cannot violate your categorical imperative and do something inherently dishonest. Therefore, according to Kant, unless I misinterpreted something somewhere, it is both immoral and unethical. I would say if you were to argue in favour of the death penalty utilitarianism would be a good start. Killing a person who's murdered someone brings the greatest pleasure for the greatest amount of people, morality and ethics don't factor into utilitarian philosophy

Ethics are subjective and hypothetical in Kant's view.

Registered Users Regular ElijahWyatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    I agree Plato. I guess I hoped too much in this thread. I wish more people read philosophy on PD.
    I remember when i read philosphy with you and you told me that what i wrote wasn't my own opinion. -_- That's being very contradictory

Also, whos moral book are we talking about? To me execution is moral, when done for the right reasons. I have no code of ethics. I do not care what society or any group has to say about my actions, i live by my morals meaning ethics are non exsistant.
    "As for me, all i know is that i know nothing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast