Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After some contemplation

Default After some contemplation

I think "Somebody That I Used To Know" is probably the best song as of late. It has all the qualities of a good song, its one of the few songs I would be fine if it appeared on the oldies station 20 years from now.

i wouldnt

what songs do you think are oldies material then Rayne?

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Yeah but Kirby you are talking about the top of the charts stuff exclusively right? In that case, I don't think anything has beaten Levels in recent memory.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Also Kirby none of the songs that are at the top of the charts these days have the same life expectancy as, say, Beatles material would. They just don't have that timeless quality. There are albums and songs that will be remembered but you probably won't find them on the radio these days.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

Goddamnit, my predictions for artists who'll be remembered as the cream of the crop the last decade so:

LCD Soundsystem
    Radiohead
    Animal Collective
    Kanye West
    Arcade Fire

That's pretty much my list. I'm sure there's more I'm just too lazy to go through my library. A catchy tune doesn't get you remembered.

That's general pop/mainstream music though. For what the 00s/10s are going to be remembered for is forging the roots of future garage/post-dubstep as it hits the clubs more and more and blends in with classic singer-songwriter material. So in that sense albums that will be remembered for pioneering a movement include Skream!, Untrue, James Blake's S/T and all those underground British producers who are trying to break out.

I listen to oldies stations all the time, and even as they move into the 80s and 90s, there is a serious lack of rap and pop songs, if is my belief that those kind of songs don't seem to leave a lasting impact on people as they grow up enough for demand on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I listen to oldies stations all the time, and even as they move into the 80s and 90s, there is a serious lack of rap and pop songs, if is my belief that those kind of songs don't seem to leave a lasting impact on people as they grow up enough for demand on them.
    Well, they don't. Nobody makes a deep emotional connection with the latest Katy Perry song apart from a young teenage girl going through a difficult break up. Music that's remembered as classic and influential tends to strike a personal chord with people as well as pave the way for new genres/subgenres. The most recent CLASSIC club music albums I can think of is the xx's debut or Kanye's MBDTF. And I'm bringing up club music because the songs that were popular enough for oldies stations nowadays are the ones that would have been played at their era's conventional social gatherings. It's a new terrain but it's the same sort of situation. Most pop is really boring though. Sometimes you get gems. Mostly the best pop music isn't even played at social gatherings. Stuff like Elephant Six or The Wrens or whatever. Indie pop like you know? Ughhh I don't even know what I'm saying. I guess I'm saying you need to dig deeper if you want to find songs that are going to be remembered as great from this time period. The radio won't help you out.

A lot of albums that will be remembered from the last decade and a half can be found here. I'm gon take a gander and say you've listened to none of them.

lord post a bunch of songs you think i'll like

lord suck my dick

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    lord suck my dick
    ahsdjgaskdaghdjkhgashdjkasgdjkagdajhkdgakjdgshaj

Don't post a thread asking for good music that'll be remembered in years to come if you're not prepared to actually handle suggestions. How autistic can you get?

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    lord post a bunch of songs you think i'll like

Also listen to this entire album:

This may be usurping Funeral's place as my favourite album of all time.

Also fuck sad healing songs about Anne Frank and the loss of childhood innocence, I went through the worst breakup of my life a few weeks ago and this was the remedy:

Hours just dancing to this in my bedroom.

ok man

im baffled as to why god doesnt just use pandora

Man I wish Animal Collective would be remembered in the future. But I can't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Personal preference but I think In Rainbows destroys OK Computer

Yeah I don't like OK Computer that much. I'd say In Rainbows and The King of Limbs are both better thab it, and Kid A is my favourite Radiohead release.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    im baffled as to why god doesnt just use pandora
    me too

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Yeah I don't like OK Computer that much. I'd say In Rainbows and The King of Limbs are both better thab it, and Kid A is my favourite Radiohead release.
    Kid A is easily a close second. Probably Amnesiac after that.

Favorite Arcade Fire album? I'm guessing Funeral

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaki View Post
    Kid A is easily a close second. Probably Amnesiac after that.

Favorite Arcade Fire album? I'm guessing Funeral
    Yeah, love it more than anything else. Their other two albums are pretty good too though, but something about the emotional urgency of their debut is damn timeless.

Glad someone else liked The Suburbs considering everyone around me hated it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast