Thread: Humans Vs. Zombies: A Journal

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Default Humans Vs. Zombies: A Journal

So every year my university runs a campus-wide program of "Humans Vs. Zombies". Every one starts off as a human (with the exception of "Patient Zero") and the infection slowly spreads as the zombies get various humans. Thankfully us humans get a certain amount of stress balls that we can use to stun the zombies for various periods of time, but the smart human will find pathways to classes and such where they won't need to use their stress balls at all. Every day we will need to complete a certain mission or missions, generally getting to a certain area or retrieving a certain item. There are safe zones dotted throughout the campus as well, including residence, so it won't be as nerve-wracking as an actual zombie invasion. Still, going out to get food and such will prove somewhat difficult.

Throughout this thread I will document my adventures in this apocalyptic world, whether human or zombie. Enjoy.

Day 1: 3:30 PM

Today I was lucky enough to have my first class cancelled because of the ongoing midterm, meaning I did not have to go anywhere this morning. My second class today had to be forsaken to complete my first mission: Getting to this area underneath residence known as the "Breezeway". The hallways were clear, thankfully, but they reek of tension, a calm before the storm. Already my human compatriots tell of having to fight off zombies using their stress balls. It is, indeed, a harsh world out there.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

My school does this too.

Day 1: 3:43 PM

Had my first close brush with death. I had to cross through a stairwell between common areas in between my residence to microwave a corn dog. (The stairs themselves are safe zones, but the landings are not). Lurking there was a zombie. I opened the door, then yelped and jumped back inside. Thankfully, several other males were sitting in my room playing super smash brothers, and at my yelp they all jumped up, walked out the door, and pelted the zombie. I need to be more careful.

is good for you

Good luck, Solly! Please keep this updated

we have an assassins guild which is a similar idea

Day 1: 9:20 PM

Today is a day of both jubilation and mourning. Earlier this evening our floor participated in a haunted house contest - for which I was the tour guide (The theme was an asylum so I played a rather cuckoo, blood-smeared British psychiatrist). We won, of course, and decided to celebrate by going out to eat. We ate a large meal in the cafeteria (a safe zone), and then headed back down the hallway towards residence. Me and my friend were at the head of the group, fearlessly leading the way. We were almost back when a zombie popped out from around the corner. I threw a stress ball, but it was too late. My mate was bit. Thinking quickly I threw a ball at him too, but all he did was hang his head. He gave me his balls, and wished me better luck than he had. I now know nowhere is safe, no matter how safe I feel.

Day 2: 12:16 PM

I have missed my first two classes, they are far too risky to attend, as both have crowded, narrow exits. I have learned the best way to avoid a zombie conflict is to avoid a zombie. This is fine, I can afford to miss these classes. However, Drama presents a problem. Daily attendance is taken, and I have already used up my allotted days off. Anymore and I start losing marks. To compound this, my daily "mission" that I need to complete to survive requires extra information, meaning I need to visit headquarters, which is most likely swarming with zombies.

Both my class and headquarters are in the same building, so in order to reduce my probability of being caught I'll need to visit them both sequentially. The building they're built into is made up of several interconnected hallways and stairwells, which I had fortunately scouted out earlier while drunk. This is going to take a fair bit of planning, but won't be impossible. I just need to stay on my toes.

Day 2: 2:10 PM

The walk up to the building was uneventful, and even inside I saw nothing aside from a few stray survivors. It was tense, I could see the expressions of dismay on various people's faces. The smell of death and decay (also sandwiches) pervaded the empty hallways, occasionally interspersed with the exclamation of a talkative professor. I slowly walked up a stairwell, and came face to face with a zombie. I laughed. It was only one zombie. I had three stress balls. What harm could come to me?

The zombie sneered, and beside him appeared another zombie. I heard grunts behind me, and looked around to see zombies pile in from the corridors, blocking off the stairwell. All I could think was Clever girl. A single tear dropping from my eye, I charged at one, and hit it, then the others piled onto me. I dodged and threw, but soon I had no more ammo. They came at me like animals, barely registering a thought beyond "Get person." I tripped, and fell. And then Solly was zombie.

My head hung low, I gave my ID card to the zombie at the head. I walked through the hallways, my sunken heart dragging me through. I saw a survivor trapped in a bathroom, another zombie facing her off. Noticing she was out of ammo, I handed her mine, and wished her better luck than me. And so the cycle continues.

All I can notice now is the spite I feel. Not for the zombies, but for the survivors who were able to live where I have failed. I feel an anger growing inside of me. I want them to feel the same way I do. I want them to be the same way I am. I want then to die the same way I did.

I want their brains.

Annnnzyle and Itterpretnl Seven's Avatar

How many people do you have during HvZ? Our campus only manages to get around 70.

Also, do you guys have melee weapons, or not?