Thread: College reading assignments

Default College reading assignments

Just a general topic. I'm on my second semester now, currently reading The Anti-Christ by Friedrich Nietzsche. It's a pretty tough read. I feel like he just uses big words and doesn't support or explain some of the claims he makes. Anywho, discuss assigned readings you've had?

I had to read a part of Proslogion by Anselm.

my mind was fucked, literally I looked at the same page for 2 hours before I could understand it at all

I'm pretty sure my professor is a moron as well. He's a nice guy but incredibly blinded by his own bias. He says Nietzsche isn't anti-semitic, yet I quote from his own book:
    "... the Jews are the most disastrous people in world history.."

a part of an anselm reading, one sentence:

"Therefore, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, exists in the understanding alone, the very being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, is one, than which a greater can be conceived."

loll makes me feel dumb. I understand that this is probably from a time where people actually spoke or wrote like that, but if you get past the jargon, is it anything profound?

honestly no

its about on par with the random christian's crazy rant on why god must exist... because that is what it is

Christian or non-christian doesn't matter to me. You're not an "intellectual" if you can't at least back up what you're saying. Hell even hypothetical examples would satisfy me to a point.

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

"Therefore, if that, than which nothing greater can be conceived, exists in the understanding alone, the very being, than which nothing greater can be conceived, is one, than which a greater can be conceived."
    What class is that for?

philosophy

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

Sounds Aweful

that was the low point, a lot of free will stuff is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    I'm pretty sure my professor is a moron as well. He's a nice guy but incredibly blinded by his own bias. He says Nietzsche isn't anti-semitic, yet I quote from his own book:
    "... the Jews are the most disastrous people in world history.."
    neitszche's feelings about the jews are philosophically complex, but he wasn't an anti-semite as they would have been defined in his day. you'd have to read the geneology of morals to understand more of what he means by statements like that.

ha, i just read the first 2 chapters of proslogion and its pretty amusing. the argument you quoted is basically:

we can imagine god to exist, by imagining some abstract "being" that is greater than all other possible beings. but if we conceive of the possibility of this being greater than any other being, but assume it doesn't actually exist, then we're actually NOT imagining a being greater than any other, because we could then imagine an all-mighty being that actually DOES exist, which would be a greater being itself. so if we're imagining an all-mighty being greater than any other being, and we obviously CAN conceive of/understand such a thing, then it HAS to exist in reality.

but anyway, here is the undisputed all time king of fucked up philosophy quotes, by kierkegaard:

“The self is a relation which relates itself to its own self, or it is that in the relation that the relation relates itself to its own self; the self is not the relation but that the relation relates itself to its own self.”

picture related

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    neitszche's feelings about the jews are philosophically complex, but he wasn't an anti-semite as they would have been defined in his day. you'd have to read the geneology of morals to understand more of what he means by statements like that.
    Maybe I was quick to judge him. After all, I've only started reading his work. Still, without that prior knowledge, how would I have known?

Haven't done any readings in college so far but I'm going through Harvard's Justice course and read an essay by Jeremy Bentham on utilitarianism.

Though I'm taking a history and philosophy courses this semester so I'm going to have a lot of reading and writing to do.

I had to read a part of Proslogion by Anselm.

my mind was fucked, literally I looked at the same page for 2 hours before I could understand it at all
    http://philosophy.acadiau.ca/tl_file...an_Atheism.pdf

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Fuck, how did I miss this thread. I write a short essay for philosophy 1000 on why Anselm was wrong (and got got an A). I'm sorry I let you down Kirbx

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Maybe I was quick to judge him. After all, I've only started reading his work. Still, without that prior knowledge, how would I have known?
    That's why you don't make the judgement so quickly. He was quite far from ant-semetic, he actually detested people who hated Jews and had several prominent Jewish friends.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

read beyond good and evil. it's one of his famous ones. pretty much that one is about that philosophers are more about power and trying to get other people to see the world the way they percieve it as. and a lot of philosophy at the time he wrote it stemed from religion.
    or in other words, most philosophy isn't really about finding truth, but getting others to view the world as the philosopher.

but the way he explains it is done very well!
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]