Thread: is there anything good about conservatism?

Default is there anything good about conservatism?

I fail to see how looking backwards and halting progress is good in any way. Are there any good things about it at all?

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Well, if you progress down the wrong path... Progress is not inherently good or bad, it just holds a positive connotation for a lot of people.

I think it's just a fear of the unknown really. "Sure, things are bad. But who knows, if 'so-and-so' bill gets passed/'so-and-so' gets elected things could become even worse!"

Typically, the older a person gets, the more conservative they become.

Ok I can see people reasonably not wanting to run into the future without caution, that seems like it could be a reasonable version of conservatism. They should still keep a progressive view though, just a more cautious one. But at best its that, at worst its wanting to stop progress or even reverse it. Something like laissez faire economics is completely backward, yet they still strive for it.

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

If you mean conservatives, then they tend to be less insane than most liberals when it comes to guns. (barring the nra)

Yes, the fact that there is a different political view than democrats. You may disagree with conservatives, and you may justifiably hate the two party bullshit system, but at least there is still competition meaning more people have a voice.

Also gun bans are fucking stupid and I'm pretty damn liberal.
    -.---.----..

why does that competition have to be conservatives tough? there are plenty of other axises on the political spectrum to argue things