Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im an Athiest now

Not entirely sure. Can't say I care to be honest, but if I had to take a side I'd say I'm more in the agnostic category.

what they hell are you talking about then?

dammit kirby. why anything exists rather than nothing. there is no good explanation for the EXISTENCE of the universe. the big bang is a fine theory for the beginning of the universe and is experimentally supported, but it says nothing of where the matter came from. the universe's original particles are postulated as to have been 'spontaneously created' which obviously is a philosophical problem. what is the casual mechanism 'spontaneously creating' particles, where are these particles spontaneously created from. from where did the space which they are 'created' into come? there are sophisticated physical and mathematical models for the idea of 'spontaneous creation' that still don't have a thing to do with answered those questions.

the "definition" of SPACE isn't an issue, why it's THERE is an issue. and if nothing existed, well, what exactly would THAT actually mean?

that presumes that there was time before the big bang, which we aren't entirely sure existed, it might seem strange, but the universe might just 'be,' starting entirely from a single point in the past

its kind of like asking what the origin of a ray is in mathematics, the universe might exist in the same way a ray does

what I am trying to say is the the notion of cause and effect is entirely confused when talking about the origin of the universe, the universe might not of even needed a cause

also, I don't know much about quantum physics, but I do recall that a similar thing happens there in real life that we observe

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    dammit kirby.
    Why did this make me chuckle?
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

I heard something about if you added up all of the matter/energy/momentum in the universe, it would cancel itself out and equal out to zero.

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

Here is some more eloquent information on it: http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mer...2/nothing.html

I don't think this has anything to do with whatever the argument was though.
    Last edited by Flaming Flamingo; 04-26-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Banned

Well i'm glad you're taking the agnostic side in this argument and not jumping straight to the anti atheist comments because the thing about science is that it's about finding out and learning. We don't know where the universe came from but that's ok, if scientists don't know what caused the big bang then what hope do a bunch of religious people stranded on a rock in the middle of space have of knowing. There very well could be a god but i'm choosing to not believe in them simply on the basis of I don't care if they exist because they have not given any evidence to me other than a bunch of ancient books written by other people.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12