Thread: My Bog Standard RBY Team

Default My Bog Standard RBY Team

At Glance

This is overall, a pretty boring, yet very solid RBY team have have cooked up. I have had much success with it, even beating Smogon veterans like Chaos with it. Because of how standard it is, I don't really mind if you use it, as outside of a few tweaks this team has been ripped off another anyway. I am mainly posting this this to both encourage discussion of RBY, and have a bit of a tutorial on how to 'make' and RBY team.

Team Building

1. Tauros. Tauros is an amazing pokemon in RBY, an amazing end game sweeper than can literally just win games with luck. This thing can turn an losing game, into a victory. Tauros deserves a place on almost every self respecting RBY team, so here it is.

2. Golem or Rhydon. Golem and Rhydon deserve a place on most teams for their ability to stomach Hyper Beams and hit hard back, their resistances also allow them to counter Zapdos, among other things. Solid defenses also make them great overall tanks. I choose Golem because I find Explosion to be much more effective at getting rid of threats, such as Slowbro and Snorlax, rather than Rhydon's higher attack.

3. Special Sponge. A sponge is best next, as one always needs a Pokemon to stomach those Blizzards and Psychics. Chansey is the best, so I choose her of course, also she is adorable. <3

4. Special Sweeper. A special attacker is never a bad idea. The choice here is usually between Alakazam and Starmie for the place. I choose Starmie because Alakazam is a bit of a pain to use in practice because of its low defenses and only one use able real attack.

5. Lead. A lead is a must in this metagame to gain an early advantage, sleep leads are the best: Gengar, Exeggutor, and Jynx. I choose Exeggutor because its defenses helped complement the team, being a solid wall to Rhydon and Golem, also, it screws over Gengar leads which are very common.

6. Glue / Secondary Sweeper / Misc. This is whatever you want, be it another sweeper like Persian, or glue for your team, or some crazy Pokemon you are experimenting with like Poliwrath. I choose Zapdos because Exeggutor looked like a pain for my team to face in theory.

7. Playing and Fixing up the Team. Actually play with the team you built, and find out what it right and wrong with it. In my case, Zapdos was ok, but I often found that I wanted another physical attacker to combat the likes of Chansey, while I still wanted a solid special sponge, Snorlax was the obvious switch, and it worked out great. There are some other tweaks I make to the moves in the process.

The Team

Exeggutor
    - Sleep Powder
    - Psychic
    - Explosion
    - Mega Drain

The standard set really, Sleep Powder to put things to sleep right away as a lead. Psychic is the main stab move of course. Explosion allows me to go boom and kill threats like Chansey, Snorlax and Slowbro on the spot. It can also be useful vs opposing Exeggutors after I have put something to sleep or Tauros attacking me. I choose Mega Drain over Stun Spore here because I find, more often than not, people will leave their Golem / Rhydon in on Exeggutor, allowing me to 1HKO it and heal a bit of health in the process, besides, I am better off exploding on lets say an opposing Tauros. In game it either becomes sleep fodderr, or combats Gengar as a lead. Even if asleep, I keep it alive to face Rhydon and Golem, which can't do much to it even if asleep.

Tauros
    - Body Slam
    - Hyper Beam
    - Blizzard
    - Earthquake

The big man himself. The set is pretty standard, Body Slam STAB for massive damage and paralysis, Hyper Beam to clean things off and sweep in the end game, Blizzard for Golem and Rhydon, and Earthquake for Gengar. I try to keep Tauros, for the most part, out of the battle battle until the end, leaving me pretty safe to sweep most of the time. At times, I will bring it out to weaken sleeping Pokemon or to finish off an annoying threat with Hyper Beam if need be. It is important not to fodder Tauros, as it can sweep even in red HP in the end game. The only time I am risking with Tauros is when I am losing, to possibly gain a luck advantage, or against enemy Tauros, which it is more important to take out that Tauros or at the least weaken it.

Golem
    - Earthquake
    - Body Slam
    - Explosion
    - Rock Slide

I choose Golem for the Explosion, which is a great tool in battle. Take for example fighting an opposing Tauros, all Rhydon can do is Earthquake to do a little damage, and then die to two Blizzards, Golem on the other hand can take the Blizzard and Explode on Tauros, doing massive damage to it. Explosion is also I fine clutch tool vs various slow pokemon which can be annoying: Slowbro, Chansey, Snorlax, and it is helpful in the end game if I am up to just explode. I do try to keep Golem alive long enough to see their whole team, as not having Golem vs Zapdos is annoying. Body Slam is used more often than not against threats, as you know they will switch, so you might as well attempt to paralyze them, Earthquake is solid STAB in the end game though. Rock Slide is the most debatable move here, but I still find it useful vs Zapdos to kill it quicker, and its a solid STAB move to use if I am not sure what they are switching in at times.

Chansey
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder Wave

The standard set once again, Ice Beam and Thunderbolt for bolt-beam coverage, and Ice Beam to freeze, Softboiled to heal. I prefer Thunder Wave over Counter because it is more useful in the long run, to cripple threats for a Tauros sweep, besides a paralyses Tauros is just as dead as one killed with Counter. I often attempt to get Chansey paralyzed in battle, so that I can win freeze-wars with other Chanseys, Starmie in particular is a magnet to paralysis. I am more willing to fodder Chansey than most people I find, as after Alakazam or Starmie are gone, Chansey usually doesn't have that much of a reason to stick around, although I try to keep it alive long enough to paralyze them, the more defensive nature of this team is a testament to that.

Starmie
    - Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Hydro Pump

Blizzard and Thunderbolt form solid bolt-beam coverage, which Thunderwave can cripples opposing Pokemon such as Tauros. Thunderbolt is particular is useful against opposing Lapras, which can be a pain to handle. Hydro Pump is the most unusual thing about this team, I forgo Recover to get the STAB move, I find Hydro Pump very effective to kill opposing threats such as Tauros if need by, always 1HKOing Rhydon and Golem is nice to, the crits with Hydro Pump are crazy dangerous, doing even massive damage to Chansey. How I use Starmie depends on how much I need it, if everything is already slow or paralyzed, I might fodder, it, but if I need to kill something or out speed Tauros, I keep it around.

Snorlax
    - Body Slam
    - Surf
    - Selfdestruct
    - Hyper Beam

Finally the chubster. Snorlax solves a lot of problems for this team simply by existing, taking all kinds of hits and attacking back with strong STAB moves. Body Slam is the main attack, it not only is powerful, but spreads paralysis. Surf can kill Rhydon and Golem with a little damage, nuff said. If Snorlax is close to death, or if I really need a threat dead, Snorlax can go boom and do crazy damage to just about everything. Hyper Beam allows Snorlax to clean off threats without Exploding, doing double the damage of Body Slam in one shot. I do at times wish I had Earthquake, as Gengar counters this set, but Exeggutor deals with Gengar well enough and Hyper Beam is just to useful to give up. I use Snorlax to check just about everything in emergency situations, making it a great glue which holds this team together.

Exportable
    Code:
    Exeggutor (F)
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    - Sleep Powder
    - Explosion
    - Psychic
    - Mega Drain

Tauros (M)
    Trait: Intimidate
    - Body Slam
    - Hyper Beam
    - Earthquake
    - Blizzard

Chansey (F)
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Softboiled
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam

Golem
    Trait: Rock Head
    - Earthquake
    - Body Slam
    - Explosion
    - Rock Slide

Starmie
    Trait: Illuminate
    - Blizzard
    - Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Hydro Pump

Snorlax
    Trait: Immunity
    - Body Slam
    - Surf
    - Hyper Beam
    - Selfdestruct

This is great!
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

you play RBY trixie :3

pretty cool. gonna make a team. then try them out.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

if you have any problems please ask for help

For the record, if anyone plans on using this team to test it out or as a team to get use to the meta, I make the following suggestions:

Snorlax: Hyperbeam < Earthquake

I prefer Hyperbeam to clean off weakened things such as a paralyzed Tauros, Exeggutor, or Snorlax without killing myself, it is also useful vs Chansey. However, unless you are use to playing with this team, Gengar is a pain in the ass, and Earthquake can dispatch him.

Starmie: Hydro Pump < Recover

Its really just a personal preference of mine, once I got into the groove of this team, Starmie rarely if ever had time to recover at all, if you are starting out though, you probably want recover. Hydropump is mainly useful for the following reasons: a possible 2HKO on Tauros, or even 1HKO with a crit, 1HKOing Rhydon / Golem, and possibly killing off a weakened Chansey with a crit (although you should Blizzard Chansey on the switch).

This team is also perfectly fine in the wrap-meta if you play right, although if you want, Gengar can easily replace Starmie to counter Dragonite.

One more note, if playing in the Warp metagame (which at this point is again standard on Showdown), use Recover on Starmie to get your health back up.