Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: particular political/etc beliefs you have that are counter to your more general affiliations

Default particular political/etc beliefs you have that are counter to your more general affiliations

- political correctness is awful, people should be able to say what they want always no matter what without fear of legal or popular reprisal

- western culture is superior to non-western cultures

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

idk how any culture can be superior to another

by arbitrary criteria

anyone who wants to weaken the government

in particular anarchists, its rather ironic at times if they know I am a commy, because they think I would be all revolutionary and anti-government - lol

any sort of racism, hatred for Islam and gypsies is very common and I hate it

also people that want a national language, if you argue with them, it turns out they are really social darwinists

oh yeah, social darwinism

I probably have more, but these piss me off the most

kriby you're a communist, racism and social darwinism are not part of your general affiliation

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    by arbitrary criteria
    > my culture is better than yours

> let me use my cultural standards to tell you how

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Go on professor.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    > my culture is better than yours

> let me use my cultural standards to tell you how
    scientific advances
    intellectual/academic achievements in general
    artistic achievements
    political systems
    permissive social mores

the topic of this thread is kind of confusing then :3

GOD'S 49000'S POST TAKES OLLY DOOOOWWWNNN

gods 49k post dedicated to forever making solly a cultural supremacist on his birthday

BOOM BABY

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

I definitely agree with the political correctness thing. The inability to say things that might be deemed 'offensive' can seriously hinder our ability to find solutions and observe certain problems.

I despise the concept of intellectual property. It may have worked in the past, but with the internet age giving access to all of human knowledge to anyone, it stops people from remixing original content and puts people in prison for crimes in which no one lost a thing.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

The title of this thread kinda confuses me.

you know God, you could be approaching 53K by now if you posted as much as you do on PD as you do on groovy

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

- I think grammar schools/public schools (whatever Americans call them - schools you pay for) where young boys are forced to learn Latin and Greek are a good idea, as long as they do enough to make sure people with no money can get in to them if they have enough intelligence.

Agreed. In general I favor more intellectually rigorous schooling in classical subjects with less emphasis on social agendas that many leftist like to push on the curriculum.

well i think 'leftist' teaching is good sometimes. i think english should be taught in quite a leftist way, or at least i think children should be instilled with a love of poetry and be encouraged to memorise it. but i definitely have a romantic notion of people learning pages and pages of catullus off by heart and it coming back to them in their later life, and i'd be sad to see that go away. this applies to poems by byron etc. to some extent as well, although i get that actually imposing poems on kids will make most of them just hate it apart from one. this is why i like the idea of selective schools.

my thoughts on education are confusing and contradictory

I am terrible at foreign languages :[

memorizing poetry is awesome, since i recently got more into reading poetry i've been doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    - political correctness is awful, people should be able to say what they want always no matter what without fear of legal or popular reprisal

- western culture is superior to non-western cultures
    I don't get the hate about political correctness. No one is stopping you from saying stuff. Everyone's free to call each other out on shit. It's kind of ironic. In complaining about political correctness, they're essentially doing the same thing. How about we all realize that everyone has the right to say things, but that doesn't shield you from criticism? Legally forcing people to be politically correct is super dumb though.

I agree about some of the culture stuff. Not completely, but there are things like feminism, universal education, and religious freedom that I'd call "superior."

i don't think we really understand 'non-western' cultures as much as we like to think because most of our experience of non-western cultures is based off the commodification of other cultures. when you say 'japan' everyone thinks 'oh ramen, anime', nobody thinks of the real japanese political and cultural differences. i think there is no point in dreaming of living in a non-western culture simply because we don't actually know anything about them

well surely everyone has the right to be offended about whatever they want, but the current culture of political correctness at large all but encourages people to get offended at any remark they might take as a slight against some sort of minority characteristic they hold. like back in 2005 how don imus got fired for making a joke about calling some black basketball players "nappy headed hoes." now honestly i STILL dont really know who the fuck don imus is, but the fact that it turned into a national outrage and he got fired was ridiculous. people shouldnt give a shit about people saying racial slurs in jest etc. certainly they have the right to give a shit about it, but they really shouldnt, certainly not to that level. on an episode of the daily show last week i think there was a segment about how some south carolina politician said that nicky hailey(or however its spelled) needs to "go back where she came from" and it was spun as if it were something that should be offensive to immigrants. when really calling for unpopular politicians to "go back where they came from" is something that has always been said in politics when they want to get someone out of office. micro-examples but you get what i mean.

the culture of political correctness actively encourages people to be sensitive about whatever little thing they can think to be sensitive about. i hate to agree with conservatives but it really does encourage a feeling of victimization.

it also goes both ways politically however. people who dont want evolution taught in schools should be able to be outright called idiots. republican talking points that are completely void of factual basis should not have to be considered as serious ideas. the idea that we cant call people idiots or call abjectly wrong beliefs wrong is also very much a symptom.

if i was still a radical communist i would say identity politics has been a tool of the rich to divert people from being conscious of their only true identity, class identity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast