Thread: Normal Mono-Team

Hybrid View

Registered Users Regular waterise's Avatar

Post Normal Mono-Team

Changes in RED

I made this team since my friends and I are making mono-type teams for a tournament we made, just for fun and just to do it. What would be some better replacements, if any, to the Pokémon I currently have?
    Note:No legendaries, please.

Ambipom @ Normal Gem -- Anti-Lead/Fast physical attacker
    Technician
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Fake Out
    ~ Return
    ~ Low Kick
    ~ Acrobatics

Ambipomb is one of the most annoying anti-leads in the game thanks to his high Attack and Speed, great ability in Technician, and Fake Out. He also boasts solid coverage and utility moves such as Low Kick and U-Turn, which lets him keep momentum on his user's side.

Kangaskan @ Silk Scarf -- Physical sweeper
    Scrappy
    Adamant
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

~ Double-Edge
    ~ Drain Punch
    ~ Fake Out
    ~ Sucker Punch

Kangaskhan is probably the best pure-normal Physical Sweeper. She has great stats, a good Physical moveset, and most importantly a very exclusive ability in Scrappy. This lets her forego a coverage move just for Ghosts since she can pound them with a mighty STAB Return. She also has access to a good priority move in Sucker Punch.

Chansey @ Eviolite -- Special wall/support
    Natural Cure
    Bold
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

~ Softboiled
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Seismic Toss
    ~ Toxic

Chansey is probably the most notable Normal type, and it serves a great purpose. Its massive Special bulk makes it one of the best walls in the game, and it provides incredible team support thanks to Wish and Stealth Rocks. Chansey has better overall bulk than Blissey, but both are fine choices for any team.

Porygon-Z @ Choice Scarf -- Special attacker/sweeper
    Adaptability
    Timid
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

~ Tri Attack
    ~ Dark Pulse
    ~ Hidden Power Fighting
    ~ Trick

Porygon-Z boasts some of the most powerful moves in the game thanks to his ridiculous Special Attack and amazing abilities in Adaptability and Download. He's easily the best special sweeper and wall breaker among the normals.

Sawsbuck @ Life Orb -- Physical Attacker
    Sap Sipper
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

~ Return
    ~ Horn Leech
    ~ Nature Power
    ~ Wild Charge

My strategy here is to just be an all-out attacker with Sawsbuck, but I'm unsure of DE/Return & WC/Megahorn. Sawsbuck is the only dual-typed Normals (besides Normal/Flying) that's actually usable. Thanks to two stellar abilities in Sap Sipper and Chlorophyll, he can potentially become a potent weapon against opposing weather. His grass typing gives him a resistance to Water, Sun teams must be weary of Chlorophyll, and Tyranitar fears his mighty Jump Kick.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash -- Smash Passer
    Own Tempo
    Jolly
    4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe

~ Shell Smash
    ~ Baton Pass
    ~ Spore
    ~ Ingrain

Smeargle is very strange and has horrible stats, but is notable because he learns basically every move in the game. This can lead to some awesome set ups, such as passing, Status spreading, or spiking. He is also the only Normal with access to Spikes or Toxic Spikes, making him a valuable asset to teams that require multiple hazards, although, this set is to use Shell Smash on my first turn, then Spore, then Ingrain. After that, I'll pass to either Kangaskhan or Sawsbuck.

Thank-you.
    Last edited by waterise; 05-15-2013 at 10:10 AM.
    Soul Silver
    Name: Branden
    FC: 3911-6449-7501

Since you aren't using pure-normal types, why not use some better pokemon?

-Togekiss
    -Snorlax
    -Staraptor
    -Smeargle

all pokemon you should highly consider over everything except Porygon-Z and Chansey

Ok, now that that is done, I highly suggest you run Stealth Rock on Chansey, this team desperately needs it. I would run Softboiled / Seismic Toss / Toxic / Stealth Rock. I also suggest the following ev spread 196 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD Calm, it is much more efficient, Chansey does not need that much defense investment.

Give Ambipom u-turn over acrobatics.

You should really choose either agility or swords dance for Sawsbuck, it sorely misses normal STAB with return. Also, why are you not running chorophyll, and what is the point of the EVs?

Kangaskan really wants life orb.

Clefable would really prefer to use wish or protect over knock off to reliably heal itself. Also, there really is no point to running toxic orb, the only status to really effect Clefable is paralysis, which really should not matter. Also, clefable is kind of redunant here since you have Chansey, have you considered running a wall breaker or calm mind set?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Since you aren't using pure-normal types, why not use some better pokemon?

-Togekiss
    -Snorlax
    -Staraptor
    -Smeargle

all pokemon you should highly consider over everything except Porygon-Z and Chansey

Ok, now that that is done, I highly suggest you run Stealth Rock on Chansey, this team desperately needs it. I would run Softboiled / Seismic Toss / Toxic / Stealth Rock. I also suggest the following ev spread 196 HP / 252 Def / 56 SpD Calm, it is much more efficient, Chansey does not need that much defense investment.

Give Ambipom u-turn over acrobatics.

You should really choose either agility or swords dance for Sawsbuck, it sorely misses normal STAB with return. Also, why are you not running chorophyll, and what is the point of the EVs?

Kangaskan really wants life orb.

Clefable would really prefer to use wish or protect over knock off to reliably heal itself. Also, there really is no point to running toxic orb, the only status to really effect Clefable is paralysis, which really should not matter. Also, clefable is kind of redunant here since you have Chansey, have you considered running a wall breaker or calm mind set?
    Made changes in OP.
    Acrobatics on Ambipom does 110 damage the first turn I use it. U-Turn does 70 & I only plan to use Ambipom for a Fake Out + Acrobatics combo, then have Low Kick in case their lead is Tyranitar.
    Changed Sawsbuck set & replaced Clefable.
    Not sure if I should incorporate Togekiss or Staraptor.
    Soul Silver

Sawsbuck really wants Swords Dance over Wild Charge... actually I can't think of any reason to use wild charge.

You should consider Staraptor over Kangkaskan, although yes you have to factor in the stealth rock weakness, I would play around with it.

Is there a reason you aren't running my suggested Chansey spread?

Sawsbuck really wants Swords Dance over Wild Charge... actually I can't think of any reason to use wild charge.

You should consider Staraptor over Kangkaskan, although yes you have to factor in the stealth rock weakness, I would play around with it.

Is there a reason you aren't running my suggested Chansey spread?

Wild Charge can be used in the last slot to hit Drifblim, Sawsbuck's best offensive counter, for super effective damage.
    Not really. Can I ask why I should use your Chansey, though?
    Like, what can your suggested one do that mine can't?
    The above spread gives Chansey better overall Special Defense than 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blissey. Its defensive capabilities are nearly identical to those of 252 Def / 252 SpD Calm Blissey.
    The extra focus on Defense that this set uses allows Chansey to take physical blows considerably better than Blissey. Investing in more Special Defense would be a waste of Chansey's all-around walling potential.
    Soul Silver

Quote Originally Posted by waterise View Post
    Wild Charge can be used in the last slot to hit Drifblim, Sawsbuck's best offensive counter, for super effective damage.
    none of that really matters though if Sawsbuck can't sweep in the first place, otherwise is just a bad normal attacker with a wide movepool, outclassed by tauros

Edit:Who should I replace for a potential Staraptor?
    I was thinking Ambipom, Kangaskhan, or Sawsbuck I guess. If Ambipom, I don't know who I'd use as a lead. & Kangaskhan has better defensive stats than Sawsbuck and I feel like I'm lacking in the defensive area, aside from Chansey.
    I would use Chansey as a lead personally, for rocks, a lot of leads are special attackers these days: rotom, ninetails, politoed, ect. But if you want ambipom, the only pokemon you can give up are sawsbuck, or kangaskan, either one of those or don't run it, again the rock weakness is an issue.

Here's the Staraptor set I'd use:

Staraptor @ Sharp Beak
    Jolly
    Intimidate
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

~ Substitute
    ~ Roost
    ~ Brave Bird
    ~ Close Combat

Staraptor is one of the most fearsome pokemon in the game because of great sweeping stats, two insanely powerful STAB moves, and a great coverage move thanks to Close Combat. He's probably the best Choiced sweeper among normal types, and it shows as he's punching holes in the opponent's team.
    Have you considered choice band here? Staraptor can only be a wall breaker if choiced, the only other option is to run a life orb-reckless sweeper, which while it does a shit ton of damage, dies really easily. Its really a choice between those 2 options.

Staraptor also really wants normal stab somewhere over roost or sub. U-turn is also something to consider, but at the least staraptor wants brave bird / close combat / double edge or return.

none of that really matters though if Sawsbuck can't sweep in the first place, otherwise is just a bad normal attacker with a wide movepool, outclassed by tauros

I would use Chansey as a lead personally, for rocks, a lot of leads are special attackers these days: rotom, ninetails, politoed, ect. But if you want ambipom, the only pokemon you can give up are sawsbuck, or kangaskan, either one of those or don't run it, again the rock weakness is an issue.

Have you considered choice band here? Staraptor can only be a wall breaker if choiced, the only other option is to run a life orb-reckless sweeper, which while it does a shit ton of damage, dies really easily. Its really a choice between those 2 options.

Staraptor also really wants normal stab somewhere over roost or sub. U-turn is also something to consider, but at the least staraptor wants brave bird / close combat / double edge or return.
    Check the post above yours ^

Edit: I'm thinking of replacing Kangaskhan for Cinccino if not for Staraptor.

Cinccino @ Life Orb / Choice Band
    Skill Link
    Jolly
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

~ Tail Slap
    ~ Rock Blast
    ~ Bullet Seed
    ~ U-turn
    Soul Silver

First off, the spread I suggested is optimal for its defense tier, there is no other spread that has better defensive capabilities.

In specific, that spread allows you to take 2 un-boosted hydregion superpowers and specs Latios Psyshock, after rocks. Chansey does not need any more defense after that, and really like the extra special defense to take hits like boosted Volcarona's fire blast and thundurus-t's thunder. Simply put, there is no good reason to run that much physical defense on Chansey, and Chansey would prefer that special defense to actually do her job.

I am not a fan of maximum defense Blissey either, I usually run 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd Bold or 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD Calm (they both have the same defensiveness on both sides), Blissey really doesn't need all that defense, it does nothing, you only need enough defense in order to not get raped by pursuit.

Who should I replace for a potential Staraptor?
    I was thinking Ambipom, Kangaskhan, or Sawsbuck I guess. If I have Staraptor and Sawsbuck, I have 2 Pokémon weak to Ice. Kangaskhan has a lot fewer weaknesses than Sawsbuck. If Ambipom, I don't know who I'd use as a lead. & Kangaskhan has better defensive stats than Sawsbuck and I feel like I'm lacking in the defensive area, aside from Chansey.

Here's the Staraptor set I'd use if I replace Ambipom:

Staraptor @ Sharp Beak
    Jolly
    Intimidate

~ Substitute
    ~ Roost
    ~ Brave Bird
    ~ Close Combat

Staraptor is one of the most fearsome Pokémon in the game because of great sweeping stats, two insanely powerful STAB moves, and a great coverage move thanks to Close Combat. He's probably the best Choiced sweeper among normal types, and it shows as he's punching holes in the opponent's team.

And here's the set if I replace either Kangaskhan or Sawsbuck:

Staraptor @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    Intimidate

~ Brave Bird
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Double-Edge
    ~ U-turn / Quick Attack

First off, the spread I suggested is optimal for its defense tier, there is no other spread that has better defensive capabilities.

In specific, that spread allows you to take 2 un-boosted hydregion superpowers and specs Latios Psyshock, after rocks. Chansey does not need any more defense after that, and really like the extra special defense to take hits like boosted Volcarona's fire blast and thundurus-t's thunder. Simply put, there is no good reason to run that much physical defense on Chansey, and Chansey would prefer that special defense to actually do her job.

I am not a fan of maximum defense Blissey either, I usually run 6 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spd Bold or 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD Calm (they both have the same defensiveness on both sides), Blissey really doesn't need all that defense, it does nothing, you only need enough defense in order to not get raped by pursuit.
    My friends and I don't play with legendaries. I don't know, I'll test both Chansey.
    Soul Silver