Thread: I've Been Thinking

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default I've Been Thinking

We are American, that brand name gives us tremendous value in the ever modernizing world that other countries (more so companies) want on their employee docket. That being said, I have been looking into teaching abroad and I found something very interesting, if I make less than $100,000.00 dollars outside the U.S. I don't have to pay a cent in income tax. Furthermore, if I have a spouse, my household income can be $200,000.00 with not even being looked at by the Federal government. That got me thinking, what country would be the best to work in with just a basic no name degree and on top of that what would be the best country to work in with a more specific degree but nothing too complicated like a PHD and shit. South Korea is a prime example, they will pay people who are certified in teaching to teach English around $2,000.00 a month AND pay for room and board AND pay for their roundtrip plane ticket AND be exempt from South Korea's income taxes (which are only 3%-7% anyhow) for 2 years. (If you just have a B.A. they still give you $1,800.00 a month.) If you spend $14,000 a year (which is a HUGE over estimation because it costs 300 a month just to eat there) you are saving $10,000.00 a year and in 2 years you have $20,000.00 tax free and a plane ride home. All this JUST because you are a white boy from America who can speak English.

Now think of this, if you did a "real" job AND had a specialized easy to get BA what country would really give you a good bang for your buck. See what you can find.

Conclusion, I think this is the way of the future for the Western world, selling yourself on the global market. Your net value is worth more elsewhere than in America.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

id wouldnt wager that living in south korea would be an attractive prospect for monolingual american caucasians

No one is asking about personal preferences, the question is where is a white American boy that speaks English worth most in the world. I've lived just fine in a foreign country being monolingual. No one cares if you don't speak their language if you're white, being white and speaking English means more and life really isn't hard at all.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    id wouldnt
    Also, I would wouldn't?

it's a sweet gig now but i hardly think it's the way of the future for westerners. as more non-westerners learn english, which is happening, and as english looses its value as lingua franca -- which will slowly happen if the growth of japan, india and southeastern asia continues -- being a westerner will be worth much less outside the west.

*china, not japan

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    Also, I would wouldn't?
    he's talking about his new boyfriend, Id.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    it's a sweet gig now but i hardly think it's the way of the future for westerners. as more non-westerners learn english, which is happening, and as english looses its value as lingua franca -- which will slowly happen if the growth of japan, india and southeastern asia continues -- being a westerner will be worth much less outside the west.
    I beg to differ, I think people are going to have more international mobility in their job search as the years go on and it's high time people do some real research into finding the best deal.

no you're just an idiot who doesn't want to pay taxes and then bitch about the economy because you're a copy of your ignorant father.

map of countries where english is the predominant language.

to say that american is a good name brand is stupid. to say that the best option for americans in life is to teach english abroad is borderline autistic. Canadians, Australians, British and anybody else can teach english. pair that with the fact that english is rapidly losing its value in the international community and you're still an autistic retarded idiot. one who has no friends and only talks to his professors not because you're better than your peers, but because your professors are the only people professional enough not to laugh at your horse looking ass. the idea of living in another country while you only know english is grossly unappealing. though it's not hard to see why a shut-in like yourself might find it awesome.

:[

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

Wouldn't you have to pay taxes in the country you are living in anway?

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

English isn't losing its value as a lingua franca, more people are learning English than ever before. Its common use in economic and computing exchanges, as well as its ability to easily adapt loanwords makes it a very strong language. Chinese might have the most native speakers, but you'll also note that 300 million Chinese people are taking the time to learn English whereas only 2.6 million Americans speak Chinese - and Cantonese at that, not the Mandarin you'd take the time to learn if you actually wanted to get into international relations. IDK what you guys are going on about

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

That being said, foreign employers tend to value people who can speak their own language fluently and have a good grasp of English over somebody who can speak English fluently and can't speak the native tongue at all, so I'm not really sure what's so ingenious about your scheme, Dogar.

as a world traveler, and person who foreigns despise since... well... an american soldier is usually there to blow up parts of their homeland (either in war or through exciting drunk antics). i'm pretty certain that almost everyone wants to learn english and knows choppy english. the only way to communicate is knowing how to express yourself without having to say words. honestly, learn to mime and charade, once you grasp the concept of conveying ideas that aren't solid nouns, you'll be amazed how smart people are and how you're understood.

there was this time in korea where i was in an area with no english speakers (Feb-March 2008) and got my way around with the locals by simple gestures and basic english. koreans borrow many english words and also understand some of them. like "McDonalds" would get me to the store or (how i did it) get myself to the closets fast food.

Iraq was similar, but when i was having tea with locals, it was pretty cool to trade poems with them.
    France is annoying, any city folk will hate you, country people are cool. Germany, it's pretty sweet. Almost everyone knows basic english.

If you do choose Korea, pick a location near any US bases. These will (duh!) have Americans. You'll aslo be able to meet a KATUSA. These guys will basically be people who can either live with you or be someone you meet somewhere everyday. You pretty much make sure they learn US English the native way.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

i do have to agree with solly. you're earn a shit ton of more respect (the people who pay you care) if you know their language.

but if you go to Norway (must have at least a Masters), being a Teacher there is amazing. they are respected as cops and lawyers and judges. class rooms are about 8 students. this means you'll have better one-on-one time with those students. being a teacher will require you to be very social and to connect with people. you're suppose to understand a student and figure out how to work with what you got.
    doing it for the money, well my man, i'd say you have the stupidest idea ever.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]