Thread: Steel Mono-Team (OU)

Registered Users Regular waterise's Avatar

Post Steel Mono-Team (OU)

Changes in orange

Some notes before you rate:
    I don't want 2 Pokémon holding the same item
    I have replacement Pokémon at the bottom of the post for you to choose from if I should replace a Pokémon on my team

Bronzong @ Light Clay
    Levitate
    Sassy
    0 speed IV's
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

~ Light Screen
    ~ Reflect
    ~ Gyro Ball
    ~ Stealth Rock

I've chosen to use the dual-screen setup for Bronzong. Light Clay allows the screens to be up for eight turns and gives me a chance to switch in to my sweeper, Scizor or Empoleon, to do some massive damage mid to late-game. Gyro Ball is obvious and Earthquake for more coverage.

Metagross @ Occa Berry
    Clear Body
    Naughty
    252 Atk / 228 SpA / 24 Spe

~ Meteor Mash
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Grass Knot
    ~ Zen Headbutt / Earthquake

Meteor Mash is the STAB move of choice here. HP Fire is good at 2HKOing Physically Defensive Skarmory and Ferrothorn while OHKOing both Physically Defensive Forretress and Scizor. The given spread enables Metagross to remain an offensive presence, both physically and specially. This combo is resisted by bulky Water-types, though, so Grass Knot is there for that reason. I cannot decide between the two moves for the last slot.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Iron Barbs
    Impish
    252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD

~ Spikes
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Power Whip

This is the standard set for Ferrothorn. I can easily setup Spikes and Leech Seed, then I have T-Wave to cripple opponents. Power Whip is is one of Ferrothorn's best attacking options. Not much else to say here aside from what's already been stated.

Scizor @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

~ Swords Dance
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Bug Bite

With maximum investment in Attack, a Swords Dance boost, Life Orb, and Technician, Bullet Punch can easily OHKO virtually all offensive threats in OU. There's honestly nothing much else to say except Scizor is a main sweeper, with not much being able to stand against it.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Flash Fire
    Modest
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

~ Fire Blast
    ~ Earth Power
    ~ Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
    ~ Flame Charge

Heatran's typing allows it to switch into a variety of attacks, and its decent movepool also allows it to threaten many Pokemon at once. Air Balloon allows me to switch into Earthquake. Fire Blast is a crazy strong STAB move, but I am willing to replace it with Flamethrower, though it won't be nearly as strong. Hidden Power Ice takes out Gliscor and Landorus. Hidden Power Grass is more suitable for dealing with Water-types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon, though. With Bronzong laying rocks down & Ferrothron using Spikes, Heatran is able to sweep even easier. Chansey & Blissey can wall Heatran, but Scizor can easily take them out with Superpower.

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
    Torrent
    Modest
    200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe

~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Grass Knot / Hidden Power grass
    ~ Surf

This set takes advantage of everything that Empoleon can do, and is not outclassed by other Water-type special attackers, such as Keldeo, thanks to its Steel typing and great defenses. Hydro Pump is the powerful STAB move of choice, Ice Beam provides much-needed coverage on Dragon- and Grass-type Pokemon, Grass Knot hits Jellicent and Politoed harder, but Hidden Power Grass hits Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and Vaporeon harder. Surf is a filler, but it gets STAB and has great accuracy. 56 Speed EVs allows Empoleon to outrun standard Scizor and Vaporeon.

Here are some replacement Pokémon you can choose from:
    Klinklang
    Aggron
    Last edited by waterise; 05-21-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Soul Silver
    Name: Branden
    FC: 3911-6449-7501

I am going under the assumption that Excadrill isn't banned right.

Yeah Excadrill really wants Iron Head, it allows you to straight up beat Gliscor and Tangrowth, which otherwise are counters.

Something on this team needs to learn Stealth Rock, and almost all the pokemon can learn it. I think you can find a way to put it on either Aggron, Bronzong, or Ferrothorn, Aggron and Bronzong seem like better choices, with rocks > earthquake or rocks > magnet rise.

Consider heavy slam or earthquake over Aqua Tail or Magnet Rise, the coverage is better.

Is there a reason you aren't using swords dance on Bisharp? Its easily a better move over protect.

A bit of a nitpick, but Ferrothorn does not need Relaxed as you are not running gyroball, so Impish is better unless you want to run Gyro Ball. (and run 31 speed ivs)

Scizor is easily a better Pokemon than Bisharp here, its a better check and or sweeper with swords dance, in pretty much every way. Looking at this team though, the choice band version might be better.

Finally, there is probably a better item than chopple on Aggron, if you don't run Bisharp over it or rocks on it, consider choice band.

Changes in OP.
    Soul Silver

Any further suggestions?
    Soul Silver

Oh sorry I forgot about this thread.

This team looks a lot more solid now, Heatran really makes the team, my only complain overall is that Scizor and Metagross kinda clash for a role here, but I guess it works out since this is a steel type after all.

Some nitpicks:

-flame charge is really bad on Heatran, I suggest you run stealth rock there, this could allow you to have Bronzong with Earthquake, or just run 2 rock pokemon, which is never a bad thing, substitute and roar can also be considered. Also, run HP-ice.
    -Run earthquake on Metagross.
    -Have you considered running light metal on Scizor? Its a pretty solid item option on Scizor surprisingly, and allows you to run life orb on something else (metagross or heatran for example)

and that's really it, the only other thing you may want to consider is maybe skarm, but the team doesn't really need it