Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To The PD Computer Geeks

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Default To The PD Computer Geeks

Now that I have earned 2 Bachelor degrees in 5 years and will have a real job in the next few months I can now think about other things in my life, like how to educate myself more in other fields. I really want to become more tech. savy in the computer field where I'll have enough knowledge to make a nice side venture for pocket change. I'm not looking into getting another Bachelor degree in computer science and such because I'm not looking to have that as my full time job. (Although I would make a lot more money if I did.) What I am looking to do is get one or two technical degrees (2 year degrees) in the computer science area to be literate enough to go off into different ventures. I want to mod. computers for personal use and maybe retail use, I don't know. But what I do know is I want to be able to UNDERSTAND what I'm doing rather than just copying and pasting a web manual. I also want to know more about coding, right now my interests are in creating web hosting units and making it into a little side business, I'm sure I'll need coding for that to a degree. In any case I want something new and lucrative to sink my brain into for the next 3-5 years while I am working in my other field. That being said, where do you suggest one start when one wants to learn more about "computer science."

Tots. would do her. If this was a manga/anime I'd read it/watch it.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

learn how to post a picture first

It works. LEARN HOW TO LOOK AT PICTURES!

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

i have 17 bachelors degrees in looking at pictures.

if you want to know what you are doing, learn HTML first, I can probably help you out I have coded several sites for school

I don't know how to actually make said sites on the real internet though...

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

You can start here if you like

http://www.codecademy.com/

It helps with the basics of Python, Javascript, Ruby, PHP etc. As for other means of learning code, textbooks are actually pretty good for this, but that is mainly a personal preference for me. A computer scientist is not expected to know every language, but getting to know a couple of them well is good enough for about anything because programming techniques carry over different languages, especially if one is based off the other.

Depending on what you want to do, some languages are more useful than others. Java, PHP and HTML (even Python) are better for designing websites and browser-based software; C++, C and similar languagesare better for more dynamic and physics-based projects like video games.

One of my professors had us start learning Assembly, and I did not care for it at all. It's hard to read and not very user friendly to me.

I want to be able to make money and know 3 languages decently. Do I really need a 4 year degree to do C++ well? It looks to me that knowing C++, Python and Java are the way to go to be universally marketable and useable to others and in making money. I also want to know more about hardware of computers. I have a feeling though that I will soon get frustrated because, like with everything in life, I don't like taking things "as is." And it seems in these "polished" languages that "just write and remember" and don't ask questions is going to bother me. I want to build towers and host servers too, what code is "best" to understand web hosting?

Well, you do not need to understand hardware to understand coding and vice versa. They are a bit independent of each other unless you a programming specifically for a certain hardware set-up like a lot of old programmers were back in the day. These days you can be a programmer without having to dive too deep into the hardware field unless it's a personal interest.

You do not need any degree to learn a language well, you just have to research resources yourself and do programming projects of your own accord. The benefits of going to school for it is that you can collaborate on projects with your classmates and your professors might give you some personal insights into programming professionally. I guess it's kinda like a kiddie pool of the real world, but not entirely needed. Employers just like the look of the degree is all, which is dumb if you can literally prove you are just as good as anybody with the degree...

Sometimes coding is straight memorization, yes, but oftentimes can get creative with solving the same problem in more than one way. But redefining what a Recursive function does? Yeah, that's kind of a "deal with it". Some languages like C++ have some dumb looking names for functions when compared to the easier syntax of Python, but you just have to get used to the differences. I'm much more comfortable using Python for its readability, but other programmers like C++ for it's flexibility (though personally I think they do about the same).

I have no experience with web hosting so yeah :/

actually, i maintain many servers and such, but you don't actually have to know any coding language to manage a system. i know becaus i have people who know no language who work on my servers. just saying.

for hardware, COMPTIA A+ is what i recommend. get a class in that. it's gonna be dry as HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

I could have gotten an A+ Certification for my high school hardware class but I didn't want to pay the fee >.>

this thread was painful to read

:3

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Well, you do not need to understand hardware to understand coding and vice versa. They are a bit independent of each other unless you a programming specifically for a certain hardware set-up like a lot of old programmers were back in the day. These days you can be a programmer without having to dive too deep into the hardware field unless it's a personal interest.

You do not need any degree to learn a language well, you just have to research resources yourself and do programming projects of your own accord. The benefits of going to school for it is that you can collaborate on projects with your classmates and your professors might give you some personal insights into programming professionally. I guess it's kinda like a kiddie pool of the real world, but not entirely needed. Employers just like the look of the degree is all, which is dumb if you can literally prove you are just as good as anybody with the degree...

Sometimes coding is straight memorization, yes, but oftentimes can get creative with solving the same problem in more than one way. But redefining what a Recursive function does? Yeah, that's kind of a "deal with it". Some languages like C++ have some dumb looking names for functions when compared to the easier syntax of Python, but you just have to get used to the differences. I'm much more comfortable using Python for its readability, but other programmers like C++ for it's flexibility (though personally I think they do about the same).

I have no experience with web hosting so yeah :/
    I do have a personal interest in hardware, I like knowing how things work etc. And that is what I thought in regards to degrees. Are there certifications one can get for coding languages that show proficiency and such?

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    actually, i maintain many servers and such, but you don't actually have to know any coding language to manage a system. i know becaus i have people who know no language who work on my servers. just saying.

for hardware, COMPTIA A+ is what i recommend. get a class in that. it's gonna be dry as HEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    I really wonder if there is a good chance one can make money off of small business server rentals. Like, investing in 4 grand worth of hardware and renting it out for server space. Is it really plausible to make a profit as a small time guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    if only we could all be computer geniuses like rayne and mewtwo

Yeah man, I wish I could code something as great as the timeline. Skies the limit man!!!

that sarcasm doesnt really work when its apparent that you'd suck more than a few dicks to have mewtwo's job

No, that's where you have it all wrong. I didn't study computer science (thus my lack of knowledge on the subject and thus my inquiry in this thread) because I NEVER wanted to have his kind of job. His money, yes, the job NO. You probably would suck a mean dick for it seeing as it's your field but I couldn't see myself doing it. I am a renaissance man and want to know of many fields and be adequate in them, it's what enlightened white people do, Rayne.

On a side note, do you all know how to "type" like literally the formal way of typing and not looking at the keyboard? Does it REALLY matter?

i touch type but dont follow the 'standard' typing style. im fairly fast though id i did do it the proper way id probably be faster since it's designed to minimize the distance moved by your hand to press a key - though if i really gave that much a shit about typing speed i wouldnt be using a qwerty keyboard.

So you look at the keyboard more or less?

no, touch typing is a term used to describe typing without looking at the keyboard

i can type without looking at the keyboard but often do glance at it. mainly use my two index fingers with my right hand middle finger for some letters. and thumbs for the space. and as we all remember, i score highest on PD in that typing percentile test.

post the test

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast