Thread: i bought a piano a few weeks ago

Default i bought a piano a few weeks ago

ive been making a more concentrated effort to become a better musician this semester, and learning how to play it is a part of it. im terrible at it right now (struggling to read sheet music for canon in d) but im hoping to get decent at in within a few months.

you guys should recommend me good piano songs i should learn.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Stairway to heaven is great for learning chords + pentatonics. The entertainer is a necessity. The great thing about piano is that it can act as a rhythm instrument, a chord instrument, and a melodic instrument, all at the same time. I learned a lot by just making up chord progressions, then improvising in the proper key.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

What kind of piano?

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Nice.

The closest thing I ever had to a piano was a pretty basic keyboard. It had built in songs to follow along and learn but I never got any good at it. :P

I have the same keyboard (except older).

You'll need to hit keys much harder and more rapidly because of how the weight is recognized. It can make it a bit difficult to play anything that requires multiple, alternating staccatos close to one another, and you're going to have to do a lot of scales/mechanics practice before your fingers are able to play it right. You'll adapt to it, but try to go a little easy on any pianos you encountered afterwards. I've detuned many a piano after practicing on my Williams for too long.

It also looks like the sustain is binary, which kind of sucks. Just make sure you store the peddle in a bag when you're moving it, otherwise you might lose the screw that holds it after some strain. If you want to have some fun, you can turn on the keyboard while the peddle is pressed down, and then depressed peddle will be the sustain.

Never play the speakers at full volume, even if you're at a stage show and forgot your 1/4 inches. You'll find the speakers will deteriorate very quickly if you abuse them.

I honestly would have purchased a non-hammer board to start learning piano, to learn some of the more basic mechanics first, but I guess you'll just have to jump in. Just make sure you always do some carpal tunnel stretches before each session.

Ol' Bessy in all her glory:

Also the midi function unfortunately sucks, because the volume of each note is based on the hammer, and it comes out super shitty.

Also glissandos are going to fucking hurt, and you're going to take it until you have calluses on all your fingertips. Thought you could just use your thumbnail like a little bitch? FUCK YOU THIS IS WILLIAMS ALLEGRO GODDAMN HAMMER ACTION MOTHERFUCKER YOU GOTTA PRESS THEM KEYS ALL THE WAY DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    If you want to have some fun, you can turn on the keyboard while the peddle is pressed down, and then depressed peddle will be the sustain.
    oh thats what that was. i thought the pedal would just fuck up every now and then.

how would you recommend approaching the instrument? i taught myself the the guitar and played it for years, so i figured i have enough basic music knowledge/intuition to dive right in and pick it up on my own. its working fine so far, but ive come to realize that the piano has been around for so long that there is a well established 'way' of doing things in regards to playing it - im wondering whether it would be worth it to get an instructor.

Lymphoma Superstar Uganda Pikachu's Avatar

I tried getting piano lessons but then I quickly dropped out because I realized I can't play the piano the way my instructor wanted me to

Take lessons, even just onlibe ones. Super important, especially in the early stages. The finger fundamentals and sight reading skills are very important early on. You don't want to end up like me

Isn't it a little late to become Mozart

jurassic park saurus rex

well yeah nigga started composing when he was 5