Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Big Bang Theory

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Anthropologist speaking: Most hominids didn't "die out", they just interbred with homo sapiens to the point where their genes became marginalized. In fact, any person of non-African ethnicity has 1-4% Neanderthal DNA (which means Africans are actually the "purist race", take that 19th century!). Homo Sapien's main claim to success is that it was able to perpetuate and evolve cultural tradition, so every successive generation was able to make better spear heads, fire-starting equipment, etc. To contrast, a previous group of hominids (whose name escapes me right now) were insanely successful across Africa and Eurasia with their own spearheads, but they lacked the ability to socialize and improve opun design, and thus were out-competed by Homo Erectus, Homo Neanderthalis, and eventually Homo Sapiens.

This perpetuation of Neanderthal DNA is still evident today, especially if your name is Qoorl.

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

And 60% of our DNA is like that of a banana!

I'm feeling rather plant-y today.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Anthropologist speaking: Most hominids didn't "die out", they just interbred with homo sapiens to the point where their genes became marginalized. In fact, any person of non-African ethnicity has 1-4% Neanderthal DNA (which means Africans are actually the "purist race", take that 19th century!). Homo Sapien's main claim to success is that it was able to perpetuate and evolve cultural tradition, so every successive generation was able to make better spear heads, fire-starting equipment, etc. To contrast, a previous group of hominids (whose name escapes me right now) were insanely successful across Africa and Eurasia with their own spearheads, but they lacked the ability to socialize and improve opun design, and thus were out-competed by Homo Erectus, Homo Neanderthalis, and eventually Homo Sapiens.
    anthropology is cool but i never really took the time to read much of it. are there any particularly good anthropology books you know of(aside from jared diamond).

Solly, you got that statistic a bit backwards, 1-4% of non-Africans have neanderthal genes, not 1-4% of our DNA, I have looked at this stat dozens of times off hand.

Also, there is some debate about it, some scientists argue that that genes may be much older, from an earlier period of homo sapien neanderthal interaction about 150,000 years ago when we were much more closely related.

Also, their brains were bigger, but they lacked certain thought processes we take for granted. For example, no neanderthal food storage has ever been found, it is believed they ate all their food immediately, never storing it, which is a huge disadvantage.

Finally, it is thought that Neanderthals could actually speak well, even better than us, the ear canal tune for Neanderthals is much thicker and larger, indicating that they talked more than us.

Their extinction is most likely from our environmental pressure, out competing them in the warming post-peak-ice age environment, us being the faster and taller hominid, better suited to the changing environment.

We also ate all the fucking Mammoths :p

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    anthropology is cool but i never really took the time to read much of it. are there any particularly good anthropology books you know of(aside from jared diamond).
    IDK, most of my study so far has been in cultural stuff. There's literally hundreds - thousands of ethnographies and case studies out there that would blow your mind. Some of the coolest, I think, are the ones from the American Southwest, the best of which I can think of is Tewa World. That book has some crazy cool cosmology. Another one that kind of struck me is Knauft's The Gebusi, but apparently it's $46 on Amazon, what the fuck? It's, like, 100 pages.

As for some physical anthropology stuff, I always found primatology to be the most interesting. Maybe something by Jane Goodall? If you're interested in early hominids you're better off looking through archaeology, anthroplogists suck at concluding anything about early man (as evidenced by this thread).

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post

Oh god.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post
    To have a better grasp on why you two dot like it, what tv serial comedies do you enjoy?
    Arrested Development and Parks and Recreation.

did you watch the 4th season

I'm on the fifth episode, I think? One of these days I'll marathon it and finish. Maybe I'll do that while at the hospital this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaderMarina View Post
    Arrested Development and Parks and Recreation.
    That explains a lot. Mostly on how you suck.

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Registered Users Regular Flaming Flamingo's Avatar

How could liking arrested development possibly ever correlate with sucking?

unless of course you just blue yourself.

dogar is a vulgar cretin who cant understand quality television

I'm sure missing out on life with not seeing a cast filled with liberal ass hats try to be witty on shows like ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT!!!!JWIHDKJSD

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

Now THIS is quality television.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogar The Brave View Post

Now THIS is quality television.
    that was beautiful

psychological anthropology is more amazing!

anyway, I'm reading "Wisdom of Psychopaths"
    it's about the dysfunction being more of a evolutionary trait in all humans, but is more prominent in certain people (like doctors, lawyers, "good" soldiers, etc) and more interesting stuff.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

i really dislike the big bang theory.

I liked it in the beginning, but quit watching after the focus became about the girlfriends and references to sex all the time.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12