Thread: Why has nobody ever done a freudian analysis of pokemon?

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

Default Why has nobody ever done a freudian analysis of pokemon?

I was just thinking about this today. So much stuff to go off

"wreck havoc"

all I have to say

'Cause Freud is shit.

because lm also created the most influential philosophical apparatus of the 20th century

i dont know anything about freudian psychology. where should i start.

well freud's psychology depends on the existence of the bourgeois nuclear family and suppose that the genitalia is concealed and something unknown. for example, children in new guinea wander around with no clothes on so things like penis envy can't possibly apply. however, a lot of it has never been disproven and it remains a pretty cool discourse, although totally irrelevant to modern psychology. but modern psychology can't explain the plot of hamlet, and until then we'll have to listen to freud!!!

read "fetishism" and "the uncanny" by freud and you'll know pretty much enough about freud, although freud is actually a really complex thinker and his writing towards the end of his life becomes massively different and his style of formulating arguments becomes completely different. i think he has an essay towards the end of his life and he says "imagine, even though I know it's not really true, that the city is a body".

- one of the first pokemon you catch is called 'weedle'. it looks like a shrivelled up penis which is slowly gaining identity as a recognisable, emotional sexual organ.
    - ash is an adolescent who battles external projections of interiorised conflicts about manhood using inferior notions of manhood. if you think about it, most of the pokemon that ash acquires are frail and feminine. i seem to remember his charizard is unmanly. yet he has to use them to fight very extreme notions of masculinity (such as machoke?)
    - ash has an absent father, and thus his 'pokemon' represent possible father figures.
    - 'pokemon' are 'pocket monsters'. they are intentionally protected by being kept close to the possessor's sexual organs.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    because lm also created the most influential philosophical apparatus of the 20th century
    Most of Frued's theories are no longer held to be correct in modern psychology so doing an analysis based on it seems rather... pointless? Freud was pretty damn important yeah as far as history goes.

And Hamlet is a much more interesting story without using the Oedipus Complex as an analytical lens. A lot of Freud's theories aren't based on any scientific basis whatsoever. The Oedipus Complex was pretty much: "Hey, I wanted to fuck my mum. I think everyone else does too!"

Penis envy also has no scientific evidence. Freud was very confused by women and thought they were morally inferior and just generally a waste of time.

But hey, if you want to go through Pokemon and listing every time something resembles a penis or vagina, by all means.

that's not what a freudian analysis would consist of

or at least that would be the most simplistic and negligent freudian analysis possible.

Freud's theories aren't supposed to have any scientific basis. Often he uses pseudoscientific language to make himself seem more legitimate with the precise knowledge that it is infact pseudoscientific

I know this is about Pokemon, but can we all seriously stop taking Freudian analyses seriously? They lead to bullshit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I know this is about Pokemon, but can we all seriously stop taking Freudian analyses seriously? They lead to bullshit like this.
    are you trying to tell me that this is wrong? it's on wikipedia, so it must be true... look. it even has references!!!

honestly, Freud can go eat a dick. (intentional wording based on the topic)
    you're analysing the wrong thing. either you do the show or the game. and all of these were a collaboration.... except that the games were first created by satoshi tajiri and ken sugimori. Satoshi imagined pokemon and Ken Sugimori drew them.
    and it has been said before that satoshi might have aspergers. i don't think that freudian analysis would work anyway.
    and you're wrong with the first pokemon you capture:

route 1 contains either Rattata or Pidgey (if you don't count your starter as your first capture... regardless what the PokÚdex thinks).
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

there was that whole fan theory about ash being in a coma

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it.ö Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    there was that whole fan theory about ash being in a coma
    yeah that's about as freudian as it gets
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

there's another fan theory that the game, the protagonist is actually a robot. that's why he can't talk aside from yes and no, can't swim or do much of anything, and you don't have a father.

Ash being in a coma doesn't work because Ash wasn't hit with electricity, but rather was sent back a bit by the lighting hitting the spearows.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

you can do freudian analysis on anything. it doesn't mean it's objectively right but you can apply a very vague set of tools given to you by an austrian man about a hundred years ago on anything you ever encounter

i do an english degree and all i ever study is english. i think therefore i am crazy

Kingdomdeath.com