Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nofap

no

my school actually had some pretty good required reading. we read night, catcher in the rye, the scarlet letter and hamlet throughout the years. hamlet sucked but the rest were awesome. there were also others not worth mentioning.

hamlet rules. i liked catcher in the rye when i was 15, hard to say how you'd receive something like that much past that age.

short stories are great, i think i might actually prefer a great short story collection to a novel myself. been reading a lot of the 19th century french short stories lately.

im halfway through foundation right now

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    hamlet rules. i liked catcher in the rye when i was 15, hard to say how you'd receive something like that much past that age.

short stories are great, i think i might actually prefer a great short story collection to a novel myself. been reading a lot of the 19th century french short stories lately.
    ...I have several short story collections by Asimov. They're all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    im halfway through foundation right now
    Foundation is my favourite series.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

What's foundation?

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Why is it the more I write and read, the more ideas somehow materialise inside my mind to fall in love with, and I feel a compulsory need, some underlying emotional urge to get them down from there onto paper before it's too late? And then why is it that they never stay in that perfect form of optimism, and as time passes, my endorsement of them wavers, until eventually I forget about them, leaving them minor plot points in a forgotten notebook? But that's the same with lots of people, I suppose. The more you come up with, the more likely some of it will have to be good and will eventually resonate within your conscious and implore you to actually finish it.

I'm making serious progress with my novel, I think it could be the one. Although I do wish I hadn't read Catcher In The Rye, it made me feel as if someone beat me to my own book sixty years previously. I do hope I finish the first draft quickly, for already my interest in it is becoming tried, and I would much rather be writing something universal and life-affirming, rather than personal and depressing. But I must finish this, because I do believe there's a small window of opportunity in the present in which its message can be communicated most effectively. It's difficult though.

I've read lots of stories in the last few days. More classic shorts, 'The Tell-Tale Heart'; 'The Raven'; some Alice Munroe stories; Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. And I've delving into various novels, I've made a brief list of essential classics after consulting the internet, and right now I'm balancing 'Brave New World'; 'The Shining' and 'Pride and Prejudice'. There's some strange and curious magnetism in that prose of old that keeps drawing me in and wanting to read more, I really do feel I'd be one hundred times a better writer than I am now if I had simply read a lot more in the last half a decade than I actually did.

Psychedelics. Repeated listening to the Beatles and Animal Collective, as well as my recent reading of the works of Lewis Carrol, has made me want to try them. LSD, MDMA, anything, I don't really care. I feel it'd be good to help deal with questions of self-identity, and for creative influence. Has anyone here dabbled in psychedelics, what did you think of them?
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

You want to express yourself but when you try to completely articulate your thoughts into English you run into a roadblock; it sounds dumb, or there isn't a way to phase it properly, or there simply is no way to express your thoughts in totality. I find placing limits on your expressive form - using verse, writing from an exclusive perspective, limiting your description to simple plot (as Neil Gaiman suggests) - all assist in the creative process.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    You want to express yourself but when you try to completely articulate your thoughts into English you run into a roadblock; it sounds dumb, or there isn't a way to phase it properly, or there simply is no way to express your thoughts in totality. I find placing limits on your expressive form - using verse, writing from an exclusive perspective, limiting your description to simple plot (as Neil Gaiman suggests) - all assist in the creative process.
    What about the simple argument that the more you read, the more articulate you become, and the better you can express what you feel and think?

its also the case that the more you read the harder it is to write in a way that doesnt sound like the things youve read

also lord if you're on a short story kick read borges immediately

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

its also the case that the more you read the harder it is to write in a way that doesnt sound like the things youve read
    Haha, when I was younger I used to emulate poets. I was never as good as the real deal no matter how hard I tried. xP

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    What about the simple argument that the more you read, the more articulate you become, and the better you can express what you feel and think?
    ?

It's not like reading a lot and the use of limitations are mutually exclusive. I'm just giving you advice that those that have studied the creative process have given me, and I've found that it works exceptionally.

psychedelics are great

Eh, I think the likeliness of that would have to be directly correlated with your memory. And it's widely renowned on these forums that I have a terrible memory. Although lately I've been working on a theory that it was just sleep deprivation and excessive masturbation that was hindering my mental retaining capacities, because in the early days of schooling, before I began either of those self-destructive habits, I was usually top of the class, and I am quite bright, and I have been noticing that when I do NoFap my memory becomes a lot better, as evidenced by the fact that the only study I did for my finals last week was simply reading the slides of my lectures once over. I'm usually the sort of guy who studies eight hours a week after school all term (or at least I was last year, but times change I suppose). Anyway, that's neither here nor there, I am rambling sort of. I don't think there is much wrong in writing like another writer - and there is a difference between that and consciously emulating them - if I could write like F. Scott Fitzgerald, and in return trade up my own prose, I'd trade up immediately. Nothing wrong with being influenced, how else will you get better otherwise?

also lord if you're on a short story kick read borges immediately
    Any particular suggestions? Only pdf I could find was his ENTIRE WORKS and 1600 pages is a bit daunting when there are probably a selection of definite highlights instead.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Haha, when I was younger I used to emulate poets. I was never as good as the real deal no matter how hard I tried. xP
    Ah, someone emulated a Robert Frost poem on /lit/ earlier, it was actually great. I'll see if I can find it.

?

It's not like reading a lot and the use of limitations are mutually exclusive. I'm just giving you advice that those that have studied the creative process have given me, and I've found that it works exceptionally.
    Okay, I misinterpreted what you said originally, my bad.

I don't know what the following actually mean:

- placing limits on your expressive form - using verse - writing from an exclusive perspective - limiting your description to simple plot

Or maybe I do and I'd just like clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    psychedelics are great
    Account of your experiences with them please.
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

8600 is a pretty great post count.

So are all of the late eight thousands actually. I could get used to this.

I'm on mobile right now, but basically by applying some restrictions on how you write (instead of open-ended prose) assists immensely. That's why poetry is so expressive.

Also revision.

does no fapping make you an author?
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

It gives you time to be more productive than you usually would at least.

I'm bored so I'm going to hand out some Pitchfork scores for the stories I've read lately.

The Stranger: 8.6/10

The Great Gatsby: 9.3/10

Alice's Adventures In Wonderland: 8.4/10

The Catcher In The Rye: 9.7/10 Best New Music

i bought a french book from the book store yesterday (short stories by chateaubriand) but put it in my pocket while on the subway and i guess it fell out because it wasnt there anymore when i got off

the first couple pages were good too. very annoying.

The Shining: 9.3/10

The Curious Adventures of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: 8/10

The Bodysnatcher (Robert Louis Stevonson short story): 8.7/10

Fahrenheit 451: 9.7/10 BEST NEW MUSIC

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast