Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Nofap

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Do theoretical physics, the women will throw themselves at you,

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

im taking a quantum mechanics class right now. its a mindfuck. im probably gonna pursue a physics minor.

is good for you

I would pursue a career in theoretical physics, but there's no immediate demand in the US for them, since the US has like a million dollar science budget. All of the research is pretty much directed in Europe now. If I did go through with the PhD, and if things over here stay their course, I'd probably end up in either finance or teaching

is good for you

Rayne tell us about your quantum escapades

Quote Originally Posted by Celery View Post
    Rayne tell us about your quantum escapades
    you talkin bout his dick?

just got back from lab. we used atomic spectra to identify an unknown element - it was really cool!!

qm is really hard because nothing makes intuitive sense. you can have photons going through two slits making an interference pattern on the screen but the moment you try and take a measurement at any slit without altering the course of the photon the pattern disappears. you can have a particle in a finite potential well (think ball in a box with finite walls) that classically doesnt seem to have enough energy to escape but still has some small probability of disappearing and reappearing outside the well. its so WEIRD.

In reverie, I felt you holding me. Dogar The Brave's Avatar

WHY is this thread still alive?

Your an absolutely wonderful man, any girl that is yours is lucky and I know that from personal experience. ~KMT

lord started a thread about masturbating and suddenly its about literature and quantum physics

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

such is fate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Do theoretical physics, the women will throw themselves at you,
    As long as you're not terribly unattractive, YES. Physicists are sexy.
    Originally made by LM:

~ I have said nothing because there is nothing I can say that would describe how I feel as perfectly as you deserve it. -- Kyle Schmidt ~

~Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refute. -- Josh Billings ~

* dragon_berry**Fallen_Wings*

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    lord started a thread about masturbating and suddenly its about literature and quantum physics
    Inspiration arrives in the strangest of forms.

David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest: 10/10

Everyone should read this book.

Vanity of vanities, all is vanity Hicky's Avatar

David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest: 10/10

Everyone should read this book.
    no

i hate these dreary post-modern writers. i appreciate that they have appeal but i'd much rather read a poem than a savage indictment of modern society

but then again i never *finished* infinite jest so maybe im not qualified to judge

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you didn't finish Infinite Jest you can't really write off the novel and say you got the point, it requires full reading to truly understand what's going on. Repeated readings, even. How far along did you get into it?
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

David Foster Wallace - Good Old Neon; 8.6/10

Gaito Gazdanov - The Spectre of Alexander Wolf: 8.2/10

J.D. Salinger - An Ocean Full of Bowling Balls: 8.5/10

The real strengths if these stories lay in the shattering conclusions of each of them. I suppose referencing tCitR have it bonus points as well. Paula was quite enjoyable, a real mindfuck of a read. The whole publication after death and leaked on the internet thing is fun too.

Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you didn't finish Infinite Jest you can't really write off the novel and say you got the point, it requires full reading to truly understand what's going on. Repeated readings, even. How far along did you get into it?
    - Most people don't have time to read a novel as long as Infinite Jest over and over again.
    - Statements like 'everyone should do x' should be avoided. There's not a deontic quality about it - certain people should perhaps do certain things, that's about it. Would you recommend Infinite Jest to everyone you know?
    - I got halfway through Infinite Jest, so I am not as qualified as you to judge it. However, I often find that what is expressed in a novel can be very easily expressed in something shorter: a poem, perhaps, or a play. Maybe what is expressed in Infinite Jest is simply inexpressible in all other literary forms, but that's unlikely.
    - I love you Lord.

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    Pretty much.

David Foster Wallace - The Pale King: 9.5/10

I enjoy The hell out of Lovecraft but it isn't really terribly well written. Sure it's innovative in that it became a genre it itself but really his prose is pretty predictable. Never read a lot of his poetry. The Terrible Old Man is a fun little short story though.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast