Thread: My latest artistic endeavour is learning how to draw.

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Default My latest artistic endeavour is learning how to draw.

I don't think I'll be able to live with myself if I look back on my life at age thirty and I can't firmly say I was a decent graphic artist.

On a side-note, did we ever come up with an acceptable-sounding hypothesis to explain our observations over the years of all those young teenagers on Pokemon forums being bafflingly good at art?
    Well, I open my eyes and I see things. I've seen spirits moving through the walls. I've seen a vortex coming through the wall. I've seen amorphous little balls of light bouncing all around in the front yard through the window. I've seen giant bugs on the floor. I was in a hotel room in Amarillo, Texas, and all I remember is standing on the bed and seeing the whole wall in front of me filled with lights that were [makes popping sound] popping like popcorn out of the wall. Then I'll wake up and I go "Wow, I was standing on my bed and staring at this wall."

art is a skill that anyone can learn. it's just takes time to practice.
    Leo 3DS friend Code: 0344 - 9299 - 0936

;]

some people are just really really fucking talented Lord

I'm surprised your only now just realizing this

Defenestration is imminent pichubro's Avatar

Five years ago I couldn't draw and now I can draw decently (at least, to the point where you can tell what it is I'm drawing)

http://i.imgur.com/d1w3zbJ.png

I draw on my iPad and self-taught myself everything... I want to pick up Pokemon Art Academy because it looks like a fun game that can give me tips. :3

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Most good artists/writers/whathaveyou just have lots of practice

i cannot draw to save my life. i like to think of myself as creative (in terms of things like music etc) but ive always been terrible at sketching things... or graphic design for that matter. its so out of my grasp that people who are incredible artists seem like they have some magical power.

pichubro! that's really cute :3

also, pokemon art academy is cool. i'm having fun with it, but as an expert artist, i feel like going through the tutorials are a bit annoying... but back to the basics it is.
    most of the lessons are follow the steps and trace pokemon drawings. but eventually you get through them all. the free hand mode is what i like ;]

;]

I do things like get in a taxi and say, "The library, and step on it. Lord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    That's good. 'Time' is relative for all sorts of reasons though, but I've been monitoring yearly progress threads on /ic/ and it actually looks like (reassuringly enough) you can improve in leaps and bounds so long as you stay committed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    some people are just really really fucking talented Lord

I'm surprised your only now just realizing this
    No, I'm aware of this. The statistical anomaly is found in the fact that all of these very young digital artists seemed to congregate on Pokemon message boards. The reasons for which are slightly harder for me to pin down on sociological basis than why all successful Pokemon forums' moderating teams are pretty much homosexual oligarchies.

Quote Originally Posted by pichubro View Post
    Five years ago I couldn't draw and now I can draw decently (at least, to the point where you can tell what it is I'm drawing)

http://i.imgur.com/d1w3zbJ.png

I draw on my iPad and self-taught myself everything... I want to pick up Pokemon Art Academy because it looks like a fun game that can give me tips. :3
    That's actually awesome Pichubro, thank you for providing me with inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Most good artists/writers/whathaveyou just have lots of practice
    Yeah but most great artists/writers/whathaveyou are born with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    i cannot draw to save my life. i like to think of myself as creative (in terms of things like music etc) but ive always been terrible at sketching things... or graphic design for that matter. its so out of my grasp that people who are incredible artists seem like they have some magical power.
    Your last summarises my feelings on the matter so well, it's uncanny. I recommend you look up PDFs for basic art instruction textbooks, there are separate ones that detail all the fundamentals i.e. sketching, perspective, anatomy, etc.. You are quite mathematically minded so I think you'll appreciate just how simplistically geometrical it is when you start learning properly.

Sometimes I watch youtube videos where you can see an art piece from start to finish, my favorite ones are where the artist actually talks over it to explain how and why they did something. I picked up a few things that way, though I lack proper software to get into the higher detail works they usually produce.

besides the people who like actually drew back in the day, the rest didnt necessarily have a shit ton of talent. like photoshop is literally just taking tutorials and mixing and matching shit, filters, blurs, etc. i never got that great at it but its definitely one of those things where the more you work with it you can get exponentially better at making things with computer software. doing it by hand is a completely different ballgame.

to summarize, nobody is an artiste~ from the pokedays besides a select few

'signatures' and wallpapers aint shit if you just copy and pasted a shitton of effects plus presets in ps together to make something pretty. guaranteed if you dedicated 2 hours a day for the next month in photoshop you could make really decent quality stuff.

also i died at the homosexual oligarchy thing lol
    Quote Originally Posted by giftsbestt View Post
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

i do really want to download photoshop now though. its so fun after you get the hang of it. except i have no idea what id do with it since my only motivation to use it was to grow my ego on pokemon forums.......
    People, let us discuss 4 actions to support your personal wife's continue to Earth less complicated: Vacuum your girlfriend car. Refill her vehicle's gas tank. Buy her flowers... originating from a florist who all conducts business in a very building along with a solid roof top, not on road-side stands as well as at gasoline stations. You might earn things by actually vehicle and getting out of your car or truck. Gas rail station flowers that reek of unleaded tend to be not as purposeful. They along with precisely the same category seeing that gas station sushi.

I took a photoshop class, very nice software but I wish it was cheaper. It's actually pretty useful for things outside of filters and whatnot, you can create custom fonts in it, or straight up use it like MS Paint but with tons of more options. Graphic design isn't all that hard at a basic level but now I notice when people use photoshop bad :V Nearly every person on a magazine cover is photoshopped and the amount of sloppy healing brush on a number of them is ugh ~_~

no totally photoshop is an awesome tool for content creators. but besides a select few the crowd lord is referring to were just recycling machines.

Actually I was talking about Memory and Signomi et. al, all those ones with crazy original drawing skills they'd use to digitally paint.

This pic is definitely of me!! Solly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Yeah but most great artists/writers/whathaveyou are born with it.
    No?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    Actually I was talking about Memory and Signomi et. al, all those ones with crazy original drawing skills they'd use to digitally paint.
    yeah i suppose there was an inordinate amount of them. but have you tested this on other forums? HMMMM?

maybe forums in general attract technology savvy individuals, which is a group more likely to GRAPHIC DESIGN

since we are n the topic and id never miss an opportunity to get praise, here is some of my photoshop stuff

just because it's easier to do something, doesn't diminish it's val.... yes, yes it does. those are cheap art that novices and contemporary folk would eat up because they're dumb.

art takes skill. it's originality from what you feel forcing itself to be something real and able to share

;]

the haruhi one came out pretty dope!!

Registered Users Regular Bluebabe kitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo33wii View Post
    Yeah I have this friend of mines who's pretty good at drawing just about anything. I can draw...somewhat, but not too great. I'm best at drawing eyes for the most part.

Also pichubro that Pokemon pic's adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
    Rayne if you cannot draw to save your life, how did you create my wonderful avatar?

he was saving someone else's life

posts like those are gold

;]